Installing Heli-bars. Any Tips?

VFRshark

Question

Ok, we're getting ready to install a set of heli-bars on one of our 06s. I checked in the Mods forums and didn't see any tips on installation. I've already read the installation .pdf and it leaves a little something to be desired. While I intend to follow that religiously, does anyone have other tips on installation of the heli-bars that will make it easier? Oh, I've already got Gen-Mar risers on it (which will come off) and the Throttlemeister, which will have to be moved to the heli-bars.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I had a tutorial on Helibar installation at one time. This was on my 04 6th gen.

anyways, here are the images once again.

gallery_6467_1163_39633.jpg

Helibar install 2 006.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_45183.jpg

Helibar install _01_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_6950.jpg

Helibar install _02_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_90251.jpg

Helibar install _03_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_18237.jpg

Helibar install _04_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_33435.jpg

Helibar install _05_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_59426.jpg

Helibar install _07_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_55115.jpg

Helibar install _08_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_24591.jpg

Helibar install _09_opt.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_11917.jpg

Helibar install _10_opt.jpg

Hope this helps & not too late for ya.

v/r

gallery_6467_1163_20245.jpg

Helibar install 019.jpg

gallery_6467_1163_17738.jpg

Helibar install 007.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the responses. I got one finished and am working on the second. I tried pulling them while they were still on the bike, but I couldn't get enough leverage. Once I took them off things went a little better. Man, I need brighter lights in the garage. I found a link to a Honda Hawk websight that helped me picture how they went together.Link

Thanks again

Good to see this thread

I'm also in the process of installing Helis on my '03. I've installed the weight back in the right bar without much problem. When I install the switch housing and throttle tube (aligning the pin in the housing to the hole in the Heli bar) I find that the end of the Helibar is recessed 3/4" inside the throttle tube. I've compared the alignment hole location on the Helibar to the alignment hole location on the stock bar. I found that the alignment hole on the Heli is 4 1/2" from the bar end where this alignment hole on the stock bar is 5" from the bar end. Anybody else have this issue or is it just me? I can drill a new hole in the Helis but it just doesn't seem right on on new set of bars. Any suggestions??? . . . besides drinking heavily 'tho a cold one often lubricates the thinking process. Thanks.

Tim

Rotating the clip while pressing in the tabs that hold the bar dampener in made it easier to pull them out. That way you don't need to hold the tabs in while pulling on the dampeners. Make sure you disconnect the wires on the switches at the brake master cylinder before trying to swap around the cable placement. I hadn't realized it was possible till they came out on their own.

Also, I did not need to cut anything off the master cylinders. Maybe it is because I have them moved all the way in on the handlebars. They do slightly touch the new bar clamps however.

One important note I would like to suggest is to try out the stock bars with an aftermarket windscreen first. I did both at the same time and after riding found that just switching to a double bubble windscreen made a profound difference. I say this because moving the bars up will change the way you ride through the wind and alter what you perceive as comfortable. Now I have ordered the sport touring windscreen because riding above 50-60mph with the Helibars makes me into a sky diver. I think that just switching to a double bubble windscreen may have done the trick with the stock bars.

Archived