Tire Balancer Setup

turtlecreek

since we are having a spirited debate on this, I thought I would keep this going with facts vs opinions:

I called my local shop and they charge $278 for a pair of m3's and if I remove the tires from the bike, they install and balance for $60

Total: $338 plus removing tire and 20 minutes of drive time

on my do it myself project:

m3's delivered off ebay: $230

tires spoons and weights: $50

static balancer w/ extra cone: $90

scrap wood to build bead brake: $20

Total: $390.00 plus hour labor

2nd set bought total: $676

2nd set DIY total: $620

I will let you know how easy it is to do, but if it works, it seems it will pay for itself quickly.

stay tuned!

I did the same exact thing. It saves me a 90 minutes on the road to the dealership to have them do it. I get to do it on my own time.

• 1 month later...

I am now 5 tires in to this, using a 2 x 4 made bead break system and a static balancer, and my thoughts are:

1. bead break is easy (once you make your 2 x 4 tool)

2. balancer works great, just takes a little time to get it right (15-30 minutes to get it the way I like it)

3. using tire spoons SUCKS!!!! I have scratched my rims up something fierce. I used a split piece of tubing to protect them, but then they fell into the tire and I had to take it off again and start over....I am now putting tape on the back of the spoon and that seems to help some, but my rims are still looking pretty messed up.

To do the total job, 1 tire takes about 30-45 minutes total.

Yes, it saves me plenty. Yes, I get it done right and the balance has been PERFECT each time.

NO, it is not super easy, but takes a little effort.

YES, I would do it all over again.

• Member Contributer
I am now 5 tires in to this, using a 2 x 4 made bead break system and a static balancer, and my thoughts are:

1. bead break is easy (once you make your 2 x 4 tool)

2. balancer works great, just takes a little time to get it right (15-30 minutes to get it the way I like it)

3. using tire spoons SUCKS!!!! I have scratched my rims up something fierce. I used a split piece of tubing to protect them, but then they fell into the tire and I had to take it off again and start over....I am now putting tape on the back of the spoon and that seems to help some, but my rims are still looking pretty messed up.

To do the total job, 1 tire takes about 30-45 minutes total.

Yes, it saves me plenty. Yes, I get it done right and the balance has been PERFECT each time.

NO, it is not super easy, but takes a little effort.

YES, I would do it all over again.

Why not get the $80 Harbor Freight tire changer? I think it is a lot easier than just using tire irons. You can also buy rim savers, which are pieces of plastic designed to fit over the edge of the rim and they stay in place.

Would split lengths of garden hose work as rim-savers? I have a buddy with a breaker, but I think he uses some sort of tire irons.

i use a slick covered hose from lowes. it works, but i need to get one that is about 1/2 the circumference in length so I can pull it out easily.

i knew about the harbor freight, but for some reason, i thought it cost more than that. i will probably save up and get that. $80 doesn't sound too bad.

• Member Contributer
Would split lengths of garden hose work as rim-savers? I have a buddy with a breaker, but I think he uses some sort of tire irons.

i use a slick covered hose from lowes. it works, but i need to get one that is about 1/2 the circumference in length so I can pull it out easily.

i knew about the harbor freight, but for some reason, i thought it cost more than that. i will probably save up and get that. $80 doesn't sound too bad.

It is usually $80 for the lower part, and $40 for the motorcycle attachment. Often they have the lower part on sale for $40, so $80 total.

Edit: Looks like their prices have gone up. Lower part is now on sale for $60 (normally $80) and the upper motorcycle part is $50.

Even if you get the Harbor Freight set-up, I think you are better off getting the removal/installation bar from No-Mar. As you know turtlecreek, I have a changer and balancer from Greg Smith Equipment which I use all of the time. $15 for a tire usually mounted and balanced. I can also do car tires which saves me money and time from taking them to a tire shop. Yes it was a lot of money, but within a couple of years, they will more than pay for themselves, and I won't be using tire irons (which I have been using for the past 5 years).

I have the harbor frieght changer too. I love it. Takes me about 5 mins to change a set of tires, using rim protectors, ( about 10 mins to do tubed tires ' dirtbikes, other spoke wheels'). 190 size tires shouldn't be allowed on bikes btw. They are retarded hard to change. It takes 2 people to change a 190 tire on the harbor frieght, and 3 people to do it by hand with tire spoons " dumb dumb idea, just wanted to see if I could do it ". The wheel protectors are your friend though. I know Jeremy mentioned to me he was going to get the NoMar Demounting Bar ( http://www.nomartirechanger.com/06DemountBar.html ) which has scratch resistant tips. I think thats going to be my next tool purchase.

Edit: Wera beat me to the post about nomar bar =P

I have the harbor frieght changer too. I love it. Takes me about 5 mins to change a set of tires, using rim protectors, ( about 10 mins to do tubed tires ' dirtbikes, other spoke wheels'). 190 size tires shouldn't be allowed on bikes btw. They are retarded hard to change. It takes 2 people to change a 190 tire on the harbor frieght, and 3 people to do it by hand with tire spoons " dumb dumb idea, just wanted to see if I could do it ". The wheel protectors are your friend though. I know Jeremy mentioned to me he was going to get the NoMar Demounting Bar ( http://www.nomartirechanger.com/06DemountBar.html ) which has scratch resistant tips. I think thats going to be my next tool purchase.

Edit: Wera beat me to the post about nomar bar =P

so, as you all are recommending, I would need the changer, the MC adapter AND the nomar product or does the nomar replace the MC adapter?

• Member Contributer
so, as you all are recommending, I would need the changer, the MC adapter AND the nomar product or does the nomar replace the MC adapter?

You only need the changer and MC adapter. The changer comes with a large mounting/demounting bar, but the No Mar bar is better at not scratching wheels because it has a nylon coating over the parts that touch the wheel. It is not required, but will make it easier to not scratch your wheels.

thanks. i thought that is what you meant, but wanted to make sure prior to ordering....waiting.....opening box and realizing i was going to be ordering.....waiting.....again.... :P

Try 8" X 3" ovals cut from a half gallon plastic milk jug.

The polyethylene plastic is thick enough to protect the rim but thin enough to slip easily in between the tire iron and rim.

I've got a few scratches and dings on my rims but not since switching to the old milk bottle inserts.

As an alternative, I was going to suggest you contact Mitch and pickup one of his Mojo-levers but all his current levers are reserved. He's saying it won't be until March for the next batch...

Mojo Lever

I've been using this thing since he first started making them and it is awesome. Like Jeremy said the std HF lever WILL scratch your rims and leave red marks...

Even though I use this lever, I still use rim protectors where the rims line up in the HF tire machine. Those little tire holders can marr your wheels as well. Then I use ratchet type tie downs to hold the wheel in place.

Use plenty of Ru-Glyde (from Napa) or some other soapy lube and keep the tire in the middle of the rim, so it has room to stretch when mounting.

I've also found that certain tires are a bit more "challenging" to put on than others, usually the more touring type oriented (like Pilot Roads) are more difficult than the more sport oriented (like Pilot Powers). YMMV...

• Member Contributer

I cant comprehend having a spin balancer; takes up to much room, very expensive unless very fortunate to acquire at auction or some such and the high pro gurs ie racers dont use em. Here is my setup which has paid off after 5 sets of my tires and several more of friends. Also works on car tires. The Marc Parnes works on my vw wheels as well. Reminds me to start shopping deals on next set of tires... Total cost maybe 20 bucks for steel, 100 for Coats 220 tire iron and 100 and change for balancer. Spent maybe 4 hours fabbing the thing. Bead breaker a piece of threaded rod that I spin with my impact wrench.

webfirst-tire-off.jpg

• 4 months later...

Question-

What is the size of the hole in the rear wheel on a 5th gen? I need to build an adaptor to allow me to put the wheel on a 1/2" shaft for balancing. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Greg

• Member Contributer
I used the above balancer as a reference point.

If you pay 1500. for a balancer you're just nuts.

I paid around 500. shipped off of Ebay.

And another 500. for the Coats tire changer.

And trust me, YOU can not balance a tire as well as an AMA mechanic.

If you even get a good balance with your static balancer that you use three times a year.

I don't trust you. The only time I buy tires at a dealer is when I don't have time for delivery. Since they use computer balancers I aways check them with my static balancer. They are always off.

• Member Contributer

I have the Harbor Freight changer and the Marc Parnes balancer, works well, just did a couple of sets a couple of weeks ago with no issues, by the way a +1 on the old milk jugs, well I used orange juice jugs, cut up for rim protectors.

• Member Contributer

I've been using spoons and changing them by hand for over a year now. I made a stand out of a 15 wheel and made a bead breaker out of 2x4's. Doing it with spoons can be a pain, but its well worth it. I've recently discovered that using some clamps like these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none makes it a lot easier. I use them to help hold the tire in the rim relief and to keep the tire from spinning around while I'm working it around. With the clamps, I am able to easily spoon a tire off or on by myself without resorting to con my son, wife, or neighbor for extra hands.

Just this week I splurged and bought a nomar classic tire changer www.nomartirechanger.com. It's a few bucks, but I change tires for friends and stuff too, so I figured what the hell. They have a lot of really cool video's on their website that shows some good tire changing techniques as well, thats where I got the clamp idea from. I thought about a harbor frieght tire changer, but I'm super anal about my bike and just couldn't deal with scratching my rims. I've managed to not scratch them doing them by hand so far (had some real close calls). I have been using motion pro rim protectors with the string attached so that they don't fall into the tire.

I also use a marc parnes wheel balancer. It's fantastic and will out balance any dynamic machine type balancer.

• Member Contributer

I use the Marc Parnes balancer.

Have a HF tire change setup and use a combo of rim protectors and old kevlar beaded bicycle tires as rim protection during the change.

Have not mastered the Long HF arm completely for the mounting - works great for the taking off old tire though. Rely on tire irons with wood blocks to keep the opposite bead down during the mount process.

The Wing guys say leave the new tire out in the sun plus lots of goo/teflon. No sun unfortunately when I did my BT021 replacement but it went ok.

Black spray paint seems to work too! <_<

• Member Contributer

All this talk about changing your own tires has got me interested, and i will get a system for my next set of tires.

I have a question about the valve stem-does anyone change these each time or leave the original in?

I used to change car tires and we always put a new stem in, was just wondering if it is the same for motorcycles.

• Member Contributer
All this talk about changing your own tires has got me interested, and i will get a system for my next set of tires.

I have a question about the valve stem-does anyone change these each time or leave the original in?

I used to change car tires and we always put a new stem in, was just wondering if it is the same for motorcycles.

It's a good idea and recommended. I'll go a few sets before I change it though. Its not like a car tire in that you only change them every 3 years. I'll go through 2 or 3 sets of tires in a year on the bike.

I ordered the balancer from eBay (really nice guy by the way) and he asked me to check fitting and all for the rear VFR wheel. The first lager cone was to long and he just sent me another modified one, which looks like it will work, I will find out next week.

It all seems to be very well made and a good price. He told me that if this one works (I believe it will) he will have it as an option with the balancer.

Just thought I would let everyone know.

• Member Contributer

It's a good idea and recommended. I'll go a few sets before I change it though. Its not like a car tire in that you only change them every 3 years. I'll go through 2 or 3 sets of tires in a year on the bike.

:unsure:

I generally change mine every 6 months or so, which is quite a few sets of tires.

Archived