Suede Look On Edge Of Tires, Finally...yeah!

Das Viffer

I just had to share my joy as I have finally gotten opportunity to do some real cornering to develop that beautiful suede pattern on edge of tires(Bt-020's). Now I still consider myself an intermediate rider until I get some track time but my confidence has improved as well as my smile. I live in Lousiana so have to go to Arkansas to have fun since they have Mountains(DUH) and decent roads with curves. Anyone here from Louisiana or East Texas that would like to get together sometime and ride.

I know exactly what you mean! Not too long ago, I also noticed that my tires were free of one inch untouched chicken strips, and had that worn look on the side.

I have about a half inch of chicken strip that I can't sem to get rid of. If I lean too far in the turns my back tire feels like it smudges rubber on the ground, letting the wheel spin-up and then the turn is over. I'm almost strictly commuting though so mostly I'm in straight lines, but I do try to take the curviest roads to get where I'm going.

In extreme cases when I'm turning pretty fast, when the back tire starts to spin it slides toward the outside of the turn slightly until it hooks back up from a decreased lean angle as I exit the turn OR keeps spinning a little causing the back-end to kinda shimmy exiting the turn until it hooks back up.

Can't wait to get those radials...

Guest Joebroni

I had some fun yesterday as well. Was taking an on-ramp and scraped my foot! First time that's happened. After a long trip and many sharp corners, when I got home I saw some rubber bunched up on the edges. Brought a grin to my face to see I broke that barrier finally :D

• Member Contributer

I accidentally got down to about a 1/4 inch on the strips after my last run up to Arkansas. :o It's kind of hard not to in Arkansas. Just can't seem to cut the head off the michelin man yet.

I live near Tyler and just did a trip to Louisiana last weekend. Circled around Lake Caddo.

VFRMisc022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
After my first track day I was so pleased to see this that I photo'd it.

gallery_4545_662_3507.jpg

Chicken strip frilly edge

Now that's a well used tire! :wheel: I hope to get mine looking like that in the not too distant future. Congrats!

• Member Contributer
I live near Tyler

man I'm sorry sad.gif j/k!!!

I lived in Tyler till three years ago.. sold my house and 40 acres and my airplanes and moved to Vegas

• Member Contributer

Wish I was still there...miss the good food and good times. I used to live near Lafayette, LA. Was down there for about 2 years, now back in NC. Man I didnt even know Arkansas had any mountains!! Just kidding. Where in Louisiana are you located?

• Member Contributer

Das, nice work on getting her over.

I have about a half inch of chicken strip that I can't sem to get rid of. If I lean too far in the turns my back tire feels like it smudges rubber on the ground, letting the wheel spin-up and then the turn is over. I'm almost strictly commuting though so mostly I'm in straight lines, but I do try to take the curviest roads to get where I'm going.

In extreme cases when I'm turning pretty fast, when the back tire starts to spin it slides toward the outside of the turn slightly until it hooks back up from a decreased lean angle as I exit the turn OR keeps spinning a little causing the back-end to kinda shimmy exiting the turn until it hooks back up.

Can't wait to get those radials...

I got rid of the front xtrips on mine, but I am experiancing the same thing on the back. It just won't go away. I've been leaned over harder than I should on the street and it just stays. I prefer to direct people the front tire when they check out the strips.

• Member Contributer

Das,

Hey I'm from Houma, LA, but I now live in Little Rock, AR. A few months ago, I went to visit my family, and rode my stepdad's 2005 K1200R in Houma, and yea, it is REALLY hard finding a corner down there in Louisiana. I finally found some subdivision that was under development, and made a little impromptu racetrack. Anyway, if you want to get up into Arkansas and ride again, drop me a line, and I can meet you. Ever been up to the north part of the state? That is some good road.

-Duke

• Forum CEO

Dutch I found Pilot Roads were difficult to get past the arrows but like you said, one day in the Ozarks cured that, all the way baby! These Pilot Powers though no problem!! I was always running the Roads a bit low on Pressure but now I am finding I need to keep the Powers up to recommended pressure or the bike whobbles. The Roads have stiffer sidewalls so lower pressure lets it soak up bumps better, Powers just whobble at low pressure.

• Member Contributer

I run my powers at 32/36 and have no problems. Snowgirl runs hers at 30/34 and loves them.

• 3 months later...

I have 1/4 inch chicken strips. I'm convinced they won't go any farther. I believe that my bike might have been lowered before I got it. I drag the footpegs quite a bit, that's as much angle as I can get and I still have strips.

Das, nice work on getting her over.

I got rid of the front xtrips on mine, but I am experiancing the same thing on the back. It just won't go away. I've been leaned over harder than I should on the street and it just stays. I prefer to direct people the front tire when they check out the strips.

?? I didn't think you COULD get rid of front first.....I have 1/2 to 3/4 on the front, but only about an 1/8th on the back (metzler m1 on front, z6 on back)

not sure how you did it :o

• Member Contributer
I have 1/4 inch chicken strips. I'm convinced they won't go any farther. I believe that my bike might have been lowered before I got it. I drag the footpegs quite a bit, that's as much angle as I can get and I still have strips.

Or they lowered the foot pegs...a common mod.

I've dragged my boots a couple of times through corners and my pegs were lowered. Now I make sure to get them toes up. I got her down to 1/4 inch strips on my first run up the Sandia mtns here. Come spring I will take her to the Crest and really round out those tires. wink.gif

• Member Contributer
?? I didn't think you COULD get rid of front first.....I have 1/2 to 3/4 on the front, but only about an 1/8th on the back (metzler m1 on front, z6 on back)

not sure how you did it :o

I think it might have something to do with the 16" front and 18" rear combo. I don't know, but that bike is almost gone now.

The 1000R has a 16" front and 17" rear combo and I think I might be much closer to killing the strips on the rear..... well it is winter....... I don't know.... come on next spring. :unsure:

I found it easy to get rid of the chicken strips on the front (to my surprise since before on BT-20s I never did), but its really hard to get the rear past the michellin mans torso. I tried one day intentionally to see if it was possible, and started scraping parts...but nothing. I figure it depends on the profile of the tire and if conditions were good (high banking turns) it would come off. Either way I stop trying/caring since I do a lot of street/freeway miles vs the time I put in the mountains (even though I try to go at least once a week).

• Member Contributer

My tires are neatly squared off with large, wide, unused areas that I like to keep in brand new condition. I find that the more square my tires are the better my straight line stabilty is... the more smooth the highway driving is.

Don't believe me? Just ask anyone who has ridden with me. smile.gif

Best,

Dan

Archived