New Textile Suit For My Birthday....

So for my B'day, Wendy gets me a new textile suit, isn't she a peach?

Here's a pic of it:

gallery_554_345_671437.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture 007.jpg

I think it might be a little small, but if I hit the gym, then........

Actually, she made up this little cutout suit with matching hanger and made a backpack for it into which she put the money for the suit.

Isn't that cute? Thanks Hon! :thumbsup:

gallery_554_345_1044542.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture 008.jpg

Sweet... is that tourmaster?

It's the Joe Rocket Meteor 5.0 jacket and Ballistic pant in the pics.

But now that I get to looking closely at their different product lines, I may choose the Alter Ego jacket/pant combo because of the incredible versatility of the AE line. Way better for varying weather conditions and temps.

490_3395.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Paul's Comments:? Somebody in the design department at Joe Rocket really took on a challenge with the design of the Alter Ego.? Not many jackets can claim to be "all season", but this one comes about as close as any out there.? The heart of the jacket is very much like a Phoenix 3.0--a free air jacket with textile overlays on the shoulders and elbows, along with removable armor and a Dry Tech liner.? This combination will cover very hot to cooler weather with ease.? Then there is a removable outer shell which, when added, makes the Alter Ego very much like a textile sport jacket--similar to the Meteor 4.0 jacket.? With the textile outer shell added this jacket will be comfortable in colder temperatures, and with the added wind block properties with the Dry Tech liner installed, it provides multiple layers to keep the chill out.? For convenience while traveling, the outer shell includes a nifty storage pack built in, so you can store the outer shell and Dry Tech liner neatly in your luggage, tank bag, etc, or even in a pinch, you could wear it on your back like a back pack.? It all seems to come apart and go together well.? And there you have it--one jacket for all seasons.

230_2576.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Paul's Comments:? The Alter Ego Pants offer the same design philosophy as the Alter Ego Jacket--to offer protection and comfort for a wide range of riding temperatures and conditions.? I really like the overall design of these pants.? And while they are a bit more in price than less adaptable designs (such as solid textiles or all-mesh pants), they will be more comfortable for a wide range of riding situations.? If you tour in the mountains for example, you might see temperature ranges from the 40s to the 80s all in one day.? And since storage space on a bike is always at a premium it would be handy only to pack one pair of pants to cover all the riding situations.? These pants have a zip-off panel that opens up a large mesh vented area from just over each knee, all the way around the back of the pants to the other knee (take the "View Larger Pictures" link above for some close-ups of this).? With this panel removed and with the liner removed, you'll get some reasonable air flow through the pants for comfort in hot weather.? For cold weather you replace the zip-off panel and use the liner as a wind-stopper and you'll be comfortable.? The liner can be used as a waterproof barrier as well.? The legs have long size zippers to allow you to use these pants as "overpants" so you can wear street clothes underneath if you like, and you won't have to find a place to change clothes to take them off--ideal for commuters.? The waist is adjustable so you'll be able to get comfortable whether you use them over clothes or not.? You get removable dual density armor for the knees and also some built in armor in the hips (not a great deal but better than most).? There is a short rear zipper for attachment to compatible Joe Rocket jackets, so feel free to use these pants with any of the textile jacket designs (not just the Alter Ego jacket).? You also get the mating half of the zipper so you can easily have an alterations person install the zipper half in a non-compatible jacket to take advantage of the feature.? Overall, I think this pant is a very good value given the pant's features and adaptability.

• Member Contributer

you wife is hot :thumbsup:

I've been battling between the Alter Ego's and some HT Air's myself. I haven't been able to make up my mind. I've got leathers for serious riding, I'm just looking for overpants for more options..

• Member Contributer

I couldn't agree more... IF I was going to go with Joe Rocket, I would go with the AE line.

I tried on the tourmaster intake and flex jackets today, and I have to say they are very nice. The flex line is similar to the joe rocket AE line.

IMHO, the tourmater gear is "nicer" than the joe rocket gear I have seen. Just a thought...

• Member Contributer
But now that I get to looking closely at their different product lines, I may choose the Alter Ego jacket/pant combo because of the incredible versatility of the AE line. Way better for varying weather conditions and temps. 

:beer: on the wife comment.

I have the AE jacket pant combo. I really like it a lot. I switch the jacket nearly every ride, but I tend to leave the mesh exposed on the pants, since they barely flow.

I am going to send the pants in for some warrantee work on a seam, but they do have a 1 year warrantee, so I can wait till the end of this season.

:beer:  on the wife comment. 

:P

Sometimes I wonder how a bald-headed chickenplucker like me wound up with a nice girl like her. wink.gif

Picture002-1.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

490_3395.jpg

230_2576.jpg

Well, I pulled the pin. 500 bones Canadian delivered to my door. :mellow:

Beats the 600+ I would have paid if I shopped locally. Everyone I checked was asking 100% of MSRP, no deals. <_<

I did look at the Tourmaster stuff, and the jacket would have been 50 bucks cheaper than the JR item, but I didn't like the T-master being nearly 100% red, plus Newenough.com doesn't carry the matching T-master Caliber pant.

Oh well.

Now to swing a set of boots for my birthday next year and I'll be all set. B)

Whaddya all recommend? I've already got some Ricky Racer boots with built-in rain scoops on the sides, now I need something more Sport-Toury that's waterproof.

Sidi On-Roads anyone?

BOOT-SidiSym-lg.jpg

• Member Contributer
So for my B'day, Wendy gets me a new textile suit, isn't she a peach?

Hopefully she presented the B'day gift while wearing Her B'day suit!

Congrats on the new gear. I love that feeling. About boots... I have been using the Gaerne ST Drys for a couple of years now and love them. absolutely flawlessly waterproof super comfortable while riding and not all that bad off the bike either. I'd definitely check them out again if I were shopping.

Good shoice, going with the alter ego instead of the 5.0 pants. The 5.0's are great for cold and wet except the front crotch area gets soaked, they are mostly waterproof. The worst thing is the liner is not removable and will cook in summer. I accidently got my knee down for a milisecond and it put a big hole in the knee. Scary considering how little my knee scraped. With jeans underneath there has to be some protection there though. The alter ego's seem alot more sturdy. :thumbsup:

Happy Bday Rob. :mellow:

Sweet deal! Both on the excellent gifts, and the wife. :D

Kids I'm not so sure about. :lol: Three's a crowd?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the new gear arrived the other day. (Where's the dancing banana emoticon?)

Newenough.com did good by me again. I'm really liking my HELD Steve gloves I got from them awhile back.

I'll see if I can get together with my ZX-12R buddy Craig and go for a ride, he can snap a pic and I can post it here and also over in the "What do you guys look like" thread.

Hope I don't cause too many broken monitors with my looks. :goofy:

Here 'y go, pics of the new jacket (wasn't wearing the pants at the moment, just running a quick errand).

100_3333.jpg

100_3332.jpg

I DID get to try out the jacket/pants combo 1x so far and they seem great. It's been hot hear, so I was running the jacket in the mesh configuration as shown, with the venting strip removed from the pants as well.

Gotta say I like them! :thumbsup:

I just picked up my 2001 VFR 2 mos ago and I have recently been buying up some gear. I live in northern Vermont where it is normal on the cooler side, except for this summer <_< , so I went with leather instead on mesh. I ended up with a Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket, perforated, and JR Speedmaster gloves. It took a while to get used to the hump on my jacket but I definitely like the lack of turbulence behind my head. Plus what a conversation piece :lol: . I absolutely love the gloves.

I did last week try on some of the Speedmaster boots and I have to say I didn't like them. They seemed really cheap, plus it seems no one sells them in an 11. So I gave up on the full JR Speedmaster look and I tried on some Alpinestars SMX-4 boots and loved them. So I bought some at Motostrano. The rest of my gear so far I bought off E-Bay. The boots are in the mail.

I did but some wilson leather chaps that will help when it gets cold and I take off to work or play on a chilly 40 deg morning. Chaps are hillarious, I have never owned a pair but I am considering a dancing career anyone want to see the pics :salesman: . I think they will do the trick when I go to work on those cold mornings.

The last piece is racing pants, again I am looking on E-Bay for some size 38 Speedmaster, perforated. If I every get to a track day or maybe on a long fun ride I think they will come in handy.

Anyway there is the history !

Christian

By the way, I meant to ask...

Underneath your gorgeous wife, and directly below your beautiful bike, what is that ugly thing that it is strapped to?? Thats not a tra...trai.....I can't even say it....

gallery_554_345_1044542.jpg

TRAILER

There, I said it for you. :P

Yes, it got trailered to the city to have the piping fabricated for the custom underseat exhaust.

I didn't know how long he'd need the bike for, certainly longer than a day, so I trailered it in, dropped it off and went back for it with the trailer again when it was finished.

Sometimes 'ya gotta do what 'ya gotta do. :huh:

:P

Sometimes I wonder how a bald-headed chickenplucker like me wound up with a nice girl like her. wink.gif

Thanks for the pics of your lovely wife. You truly give hope to the rest of us. :huh:

Those Sidi boots look pretty cool. I like boots with substantial tread like those. I also have the Oxtar Matrix boots, bought from New Enough, but the tread doesn't thrill me. Just something to consider.

Here 'y go, pics of the new jacket .....

Kewl!

That looks toaderly oarsum. And so nicely color co-ordinated with your bike and helmet. :thumbsup:

That's a very nice picture Rob! Congrats and all that.

• Member Contributer

I have the grey one, but I like the red with the full red bike. I don't even know what I look like in/on mine. :lol:

Archived