Tire plug on trackday?

Guest BigRoach

Guest BigRoach

I got a flat the other day, and I'm wondering if I should order a new tire. I probably wouldn't worry too much about it if I wasn't doing a track day in a week. I bought a cheapo plug kit, not like the mushroom kits some of you have, but just to have a better quality repair I decided to save the plugs for emergencies, and take the tire to Discount Tire Co. The fool there said they don't do mc tires, and since it's a sport bike I probably should buy a new tire, especially due to the upcoming track day. He gave me the name of some salvage yard where they might have a used sportbike tire, maybe even a slick. "No Thanks! I don't like to match my sport tourers, with slicks!"

So the question is: is it safe to run a track day on a ghetto $8 plug kit, or even a professional repair job on my rear Avon Azaro ST?

• Member Contributer

Most motorcycle shops will plug it for you. I would probably say it is a bad idea since you are doing a track day but others will likely say you should have no problem.

Do you feel lucky? sorry, j/k :P

• Member Contributer

I'd have to say its a bad idea. you may be ok, but what if you're not? I wouldn't want to risk my bike or myself for the price of a new tire. Good luck at the track.

Thanks,

I'm a farely new rider, and it's my first track day, so I'll probably be taking it easy, getting passed in the slow group!

• Member Contributer
So the question is: is it safe to run a track day on a ghetto $8 plug kit, or even a professional repair job on my rear Avon Azaro ST?

Well... you're tire is not doomed yet... you may patch your own tire with a Safety

Seal kit...

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

The choice is yours but there is mounting evidence that Safety Seals work and are

safe... I have yet to note anyone armed with first hand knowledge to the contrary...

Witness my heatless vulcanizing plug tire that lasted 4K miles... miles not in

moderation either... no sir... the plugged tire endured the rigors of two track days

one at Thunder Hill and one at Laguna Seca... it even passed mustard during a H40

race with speeds hitting 140 mph and beyond... not to mention one 1221 mile trip to

Las Vegas and back...

MeZ3TirePlug.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Thanks for the reassurance. Like I said, I'm just gonna throw the cheap plug kit in my tail for emergenies, and try and find a mc shop around here that'll plug it professionally. Hopefully whatever they use, it'll be as effective as the ones you're talking about.

BTW: Larry, what tires were you running?

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the reassurance. Like I said, I'm just gonna throw the cheap plug kit in my tail for emergenies, and try and find a mc shop around here that'll plug it professionally. Hopefully whatever they use, it'll be as effective as the ones you're talking about.

A real plug done from the inside of the tire will do just fine. I wouldn't ride one of those roadside plugs at a race track, or anywhere else for that matter other than to have a better plug put in.

I think Larry said he used Rennsports? A discontinued Metzler tire.

• Member Contributer

Plugged tire in the pic is an old MeZ3 Metzeler... however now I'm running

Metzeler Rennsports (as jeremy556 pointed out) namely a RS3 rear and RS2 front...

I get about 5K miles out of a set and have all the grip I need for a track... not to

mention on the street...

Track...

1500MilesRennsportStreetF.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

1500MilesRennsportStreetR.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Street...

gallery_3131_51_2230.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_3131_51_13534.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Well, I went to a cycle shop here in Frisco, and the guy took the tire off and noticed that whatever penetrated my tire, also went in and took a nice chunk out of the inside of the sidewall. It also couldnt've helped that I rode on the flat tire down the tollway for about 4-5 miles.

Anyway, the guy said it probably wouldn't be safe to ride on, and by the size of the gash, I think I agree. Hopefully I can order a tire get it to my door before Sunday afternoon, cuz I aint payin' no stealership prices for one!!

• Member Contributer
Well, I went to a cycle shop here in Frisco, and the guy took the tire off and noticed that whatever penetrated my tire, also went in and took a nice chunk out of the inside of the sidewall. It also couldnt've helped that I rode on the flat tire down the tollway for about 4-5 miles.

Anyway, the guy said it probably wouldn't be safe to ride on, and by the size of the gash, I think I agree. Hopefully I can order a tire get it to my door before Sunday afternoon, cuz I aint payin' no stealership prices for one!!

Sidewall damage = new tire.

You rode it 4-5 miles flat? :o

Sidewall damage = new tire.

You rode it 4-5 miles flat?  :o

Yep, bummer, I know...

It was either ride the 4 miles home, or pull over onto the small shoulder on the tollway at 1:00AM, and call somebody. I don't know what I would've done, or who I would've called.

VFR-911?!?

When I finally made it home, my tire was too hot to even touch!

Yesterday I called around looking for a new tire, but after I realized that retail price for an Avon AV46 runs like $199!!, and there was no one with one in stock, I decided to get a Michelin. I'm bummed that I'm gonna be running two different compounds at the track, but oh well.

• Member Contributer

only the insane would ride on a plug on trackday ! you should be wary of blowouts especially during track time as this is the time the tires are used more to their potential during this time

Yesterday I called around looking for a new tire, but after I realized that retail price for an Avon AV46 runs like $199!!, and there was no one with one in stock, I decided to get a Michelin. I'm bummed that I'm gonna be running two different compounds at the track, but oh well.

If you are in the Bay Area check out I-Bike in Redwood City. I-bike.org.

It's a tiny one man shop. I got an AV46 put on the rear about a month ago. Cost 157$ otd :huh: includeing mount and balance. (Wheel off of course).

Plus their website claims that every new tire bought/mounted/balanced by them has a 2000 mile road hazard warranty. Although I forgot to ask about it when I was in the shop.

All in all it was about 20 minutes from the time I walked in the door with my wheel to the time I left with my nice new tire.

I wish I saw your post sooner.

Oops, is Frisco a city in Texas? I just assumed you meant San Francisco... :huh:

Oh well, good info for the rest of the Cal Bay Area riders! :huh:

• Member Contributer
only the insane would ride on a plug on trackday ! you should be wary of blowouts especially during track time as this is the time the tires are used more to their potential during this time

A blowout is a violent explosion due to a carcass failure... tossing a plug is not the

same as a blowout... because tossing a plug is not voilent... it takes seconds for the air

to escape... time for a prepared rider to stay in control... whereas a blowout leaves a

rider with no time to stay in control...

Nakano after his Bridgestone blew out at 200mph... it was violent... I know because I

was standing right next to the track in Mugello Italy... note how much of the rear carcass

had to fail in order for him to loose control...

gallery_300_42_3920.jpeg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer

Larry,

Thanks for clarifying! I've always had confidence in tire plugs knowing I just needed to keep an eye on the pressure. I tried cutting up an old pirelli with a knife after it was off the bike and those things are tough. It would take alot more than a nail or bad plug to cause an instant blowout. I've had to plug just about every rear tire on my bike so far. That being said, I don't think I'd plug a front other than temporarily.

Flat tires get replaced, if they're mine. And run flat!? :goofy:

No way. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Larry, do you use patches or only plugs? 

Patches are not recommended by the tire manufactures... inside mushroom plugs are...

however I like Safety Seals which employs a small rope of 24 plies of a custom made

high tensile (350 lb break strength) chemical resistant nylon yarn and each yarn is

immersed in our unique proprietary rubber sealant system-250% rubber to yarn... it

really does make the perfect seal...

Safety Seal comes in three sizes and you want the smaller rope for 10cm repairs...

there's also a ATV kit with Co2 cartridges that can be carried in a tank bag...

atvkittube.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

• Member Contributer

I was at the local Dealer that sponsers Track days, they told me that I would be insane to ride my Metzler Z6's at the track. With only 2500 Miles on them, i decided that I would wait to do a track day, untill I was ready for new tires.

Plugs are a bad idea for anything other than to get you home.

Ride a flat tire.... Toss it. There is no maybe, just toss it. I would say the same for auto tires as well.

All the crap about Ford and Firestone..... IMHO it was driver error. When was the last time you checked your tire pressure? Low PSI + HOt PAvement = Tire failer.

MY used s10 blazer came with crappy Walmart tires, they sucked and the car handled very poorly. When I sold it the new owner got it with a new set of Goodyears, it drove like a sports car in comparison.

I guess I am trying to say that tires are important. Don;t ever skimp, abuse or neglect them. We are lucky in that with a such small market for Moto tires, it would be hard to by a poor quality tire.

Archived