i am losing my mind

Guest VFRROBIN

Guest VFRROBIN

hello all, i have been looking at mesh jackets for warm/summer riding. i have looked at so many jackets i am not sure which one to get. i like the looks of the JR Phoenix, tried the Tecniks(?) and the fieldsheer. i just don't know .....

i welcome your opinions good and bad!

thank you

Robin +1.gif

I've had my Phoenix for one year, and I like it quite a bit. I like the fit, the pockets, the adjustabilty, AND the liner works great for Florida winter riding. I rode all winter with it, only once having to wear long sleeves under the whole jacket/liner combo.

As a fellow Floridian, I can tell you that sitting at a light in the hot sun, it's hot. But, the second you start to move, air just rushes through.

To wash it, I lay it in a bathtub, put a few spare floor tiles on it to weigh it down (does it ever float!!), add a capful of detergent, and fill the tub 4 inches or so and let it soak. The rinse cycle means opening the drain and turning on the shower head! :P

Me likey.

• Member Contributer

I've been using the newest version of the Joe Rocket Phoenix and I think it's great value for the money. My favorite detail is the visor pocket for carrying a spare visor so you can switch from smoked during the day, to clear for night time. I also recommend upgrading to the CE back armor, it vents far better then the supplied piece of back armor. Looks and fits great. Check it out.

• Member Contributer

I've got a Fieldsheer Mach 4 which has a "poachers" pocket in the back for the liner or whatever which is a nice feature too. Armor is good. :thumbsup:

Guest VFRROBIN

ok so JR's at the bottom of the food chain. has anyone tried fieldsheer's jacket? i tried one on at the local Kaw/Yam shop. it seemed comfy. the backpad was a bit annoying,but i guess i'd get used to it.

thanks again

Robin

I recommend motoport's gear.....if you can afford it. I really don't think mesh will hold up well in the event of a slide greater than 25-30mph. The material is just not strong enough reguardless of who makes it. Now the motoport stuff with kevelar is a different story...but they are pricey. I would invest as much $$$ as possible in gear IMO.

I bought a Teknic Supervent of new enough's ebay auctions for $30 :thumbsup: It flows air great and the armor is awesome. I would have paid $30 just for the damn armor! I think the quality is great and using YKK zippers. Only negative is there is no liner......but who needs on in Florida. I'd go with Teknic for the cash. But the Cortech is nice. In fact if I still might get the Cortech HRX or GX air with leather. They are both awesome.

Just about any product is better than Joe Rocket, It is no secret they are poor quality.  Save the top end competition leathers.  Mesh though is a trade off, comfort for protection either way.

Darn...now I feel bad about even being seen riding my VFR in my Joe Rocket Jacket(It was free with the bike).

Guest Hootie
hello all, i have been looking at mesh jackets for warm/summer riding. i have looked at so many jackets i am not sure which one to get. i like the looks of the JR Phoenix, tried the Tecniks(?) and the fieldsheer. i just don't know .....

i welcome your opinions good and bad!

thank you

Robin +1.gif

Someone else on this thread rec'd Motoport/Cycleport. I 100% agree: Check out their website and the issue of kevlar vs. other materials. I own the air mesh kevlar jacket and matching pants. The jacket feels as though you are wearing a t-shirt - it is that cool and breezy (I live in Southern California). With cool/cold weather, one can zip in the liner AND a thermal liner (good for +40 degrees F. days). On hot summer days the jacket itself is great. The pants are just as breezy yet offer supreme protection (once again using kevlar) + knee, hip and shin armor. One feels very well protected with the suit. I wear Oxtar boots + gloves on my 78 mile round trip commute (splitting lanes, of course). I want to be as well protected as possible - in case you know what.

Anyhow, their stuff isn't cheap BUT how much do skin graft(s) cost - not to mention the pain and agony......

www.motoport.com

Good luck. Anything you buy should provide some protection, either way.

Hootie

I got dainese stuff (http://www.dainese.com/eng/home.asp?f=ko), but i work very close to their factory (Vicenza Italy) so it's relatively cheap for me. They got kangaroo leather perforate suits for the summer (awesome!), or some cordura vent jackets for the very hot days (about 150 euros).

Otherwise some other very good brands are :

http://www.spyke.it/home.php (i got one of their mid season leather suits since the factory is in Vicenza too) less known brand perhaps, but as good as Dainese.

http://www.clover.it/en/ (very small factory in Vicenza but with high quality stuff, i was told they still make handmade products, i got their winter water proof jacket and pants

http://www.spidi.it/spidi-jsp/index.jsp?lang=en (i got one of their summer vent jackets, good quality but not as good as the previous ones IMHO)

You might think i got the GAS, and well... that's true :P , but having the right gear for every season it's very important for me, as i don't ride w/o gear, and here in the summer it's very hot, while in winter it's very cold.

cya

:beer:

• Member Contributer
ok so JR's at the bottom of the food chain. has anyone tried fieldsheer's jacket? i tried one on at the local Kaw/Yam shop. it seemed comfy. the backpad was a bit annoying,but i guess i'd get used to it.

thanks again

Robin

Robin,

I've had the last two versions of the Fieldsheer Titanium mesh jacket and pants.

Both are quite comfy and the jackets are available in colors other than black.

The jacket also has CE armor with the hard plastic outer cover in the forearms and shoulders.

I just purchased new mesh gear due to my loss of about 10 pounds.

I'm going to put my Fieldsheer jacket and pants Ebay this weekend, but I hold off if you or another member may be interested in it.

Red/white/black jacket and black pants. Size large jacket (44) and size 34 pants.

PM me if you have more questions.

Check out BMW's Air Flow gear, I have had a set (jacket and pants) for 5 years now, they are crash worthy (trust me I know).

Very comfortable in the humid summer weather here in the DC area, and down right cool in temps under 65.

Not cheap.

• Member Contributer
and i on the other hand have found joe rocket stuff of good quality.  my alter ego jacket was awesome.  to bad i didnt buy the size that fit me.  got a too warm to ride in first gear jacket to replace it.

:wheel:

I have a JR sonic 2 perfed leather jacket thats nice. I also have the JR Speedmaster perfed pants that are very well made. I think it just depends on what you get from JR. I know several others who have JR leather stuff and they like it.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I do know of three separate accidents where the wearers were wearing JR Phoenix(early model) jackets and these particular jackets did do their respective jobs in those circumstances.

Guest KC-10 FE
+1.gif

I have a JR sonic 2 perfed leather jacket thats nice. I also have the JR Speedmaster perfed pants that are very well made. I think it just depends on what you get from JR. I know several others who have JR leather stuff and they like it.

I agree, I guess my post was a little misleading. I own a JR Speedmaster Jacket & love it. It's well made, comfy & above all looks like it's going to protect if I need it too. It's just the Phoenix I'm not to sure about.

KC-10 FE out...

:beer:

Guest VFRROBIN
Once you figure out the jacket,

Get some pants!  :P

i have some JR pants that i am very happy with. i may just buy a smaller Cortech jacket. then again..... may hit the shops and see whats on sale.

Robin

Just about any product is better than Joe Rocket, It is no secret they are poor quality.  Save the top end competition leathers.  Mesh though is a trade off, comfort for protection either way.

And they probably got that image because of all the counterfeit JR gear out there.

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/news/2005-12-...usted/news.html

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?ID=1041589

All the Joe Rocket gear I've seen have been top notch. :beer:

• Member Contributer
i have looked at so many jackets i am not sure which one to get.

I cannot help you in your decision, but I am completely with you on this. I have been to many stores, and I have been looking at various jackets and suits. The first couple times I was in the market for gear, I simply went with a friend's advise. This time I decided to do some research, and I am simply overwhelmed. The guy who paid $1000 for his Aerostich, or Dianese loves his suit. So does the guy who paid $200 for his stuff. Everybody likes what they have, and there are so many terms, its so hard to compare.

How does a "600 denier PU coated Carbolex nylon" compare to just "Nylon lining" or, "500 Cordura". Heavy Vs Light, Thick Vs Thin etc. And all manufacturers seem to have patented/invented their version of armour. Which one is going to withstand a fall better...... I guess I will never know that. I do not believe in the fact that the costliest will be the best/safest, some brands are simply priced high.

-Prasadee

Guest VFRROBIN

hello, first off, i do appreciate all the thoughts,opinions,and info.that's what makes this site enjoyable.

i have solved my jacket issue. i bought a TourMaster Flex jacket. it is three jackets in one. textile outside with removable arm ,side and back panels. making it a vented mesh jacket. plus it has a breathable liner for waterproofing. lastly a quilted liner for cold weather days. a true multi-task coat.

this time i made sure to try it without the quilted liner,to get the proper fit. also, i got the guy at honda to knock off 10%. not much, but better than no discount!

thanks again

Robin :goofy:

Archived