F4i triple clamps on a 6th gen?

SEBSPEED

Question

Just wondering how these compared to the vfr clamps. I will soon have a complete F4i front end at my disposal, and if the whole thing will fit the vfr instead of just the tubes or just the cartridges, I'd do it. I have a vortex upper clamp on there, so there's the benefit I see over just doing the fork legs. It's also already set up with Galfer dual lines, so if I can do the whole thing at once, it'd be a little work with a big payoff :salesman: Suggestions?

It should work with a little massaging. See if you can use the F4 upper and the VFR lower if the fork spacing is the same, then you don't have to mess with the steering stops, with the F4 lower triple, the steering stops are unlikely to mate up and probably will require work.

Just wondering how these compared to the vfr clamps. I will soon have a complete F4i front end at my disposal, and if the whole thing will fit the vfr instead of just the tubes or just the cartridges, I'd do it. I have a vortex upper clamp on there, so there's the benefit I see over just doing the fork legs. It's also already set up with Galfer dual lines, so if I can do the whole thing at once, it'd be a little work with a big payoff :salesman: Suggestions?

Why wouldn't you just use the VFR trees ? I would think as canuk said use the Vortex upper if the tube spacing is the same and I think it is. :pissed:

Why wouldn't you just use the VFR trees ? I would think as canuk said use the Vortex upper if the tube spacing is the same and I think it is. :pissed:

This will likely be the way to go, if the Vortex upper works, great! If not, the tubes still fit!

This will likely be the way to go, if the Vortex upper works, great! If not, the tubes still fit!

Are you planning on using the F4i wheel/rotors/brakes too or the VFR wheel, I think the F4i caliper's might work with the VFR wheel/rotor set-up. I know the F4 will. :joystick:

Are you planning on using the F4i wheel/rotors/brakes too or the VFR wheel, I think the F4i caliper's might work with the VFR wheel/rotor set-up. I know the F4 will. :joystick:

I'm planning to use the VFR wheel/rotor, with the F4i forks and brakes. I'm pretty sure the F4/F4i have the same rotor diameter, even if the bolt pattern is different. Besides, I need the F4i wheel for the F4i, everthing will happen on that bike first with the RR suspension, then what I have left over will be available for the VFR, so there is plenty of time left to figure things out. Too bad I made the viffer fender all pretty, I don't think it'll swap over, and I'll have to repaint the CBR fender <_<

I'm planning to use the VFR wheel/rotor, with the F4i forks and brakes. I'm pretty sure the F4/F4i have the same rotor diameter, even if the bolt pattern is different. Besides, I need the F4i wheel for the F4i, everthing will happen on that bike first with the RR suspension, then what I have left over will be available for the VFR, so there is plenty of time left to figure things out. Too bad I made the viffer fender all pretty, I don't think it'll swap over, and I'll have to repaint the CBR fender <_<

I see your planning on using the sweet inverted forks from the 05 rr (03-04 600 rr's had conventional forks). When I was looking at different front end swaps for the VFR I looked at the RR stuff. If I'm not mistaken at least for the 03/04rr the wheels/calipers/ and rotors are all different than even the F4i pieces. Please check me on this and correct me if I'm wrong, this was one reason I didn't go with the RR front end ( shorter fork as well). :pissed:

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a bolt up on your F4i. :beer:

I see your planning on using the sweet inverted forks from the 05 rr (03-04 600 rr's had conventional forks). When I was looking at different front end swaps for the VFR I looked at the RR stuff. If I'm not mistaken at least for the 03/04rr the wheels/calipers/ and rotors are all different than even the F4i pieces. Please check me on this and correct me if I'm wrong, this was one reason I didn't go with the RR front end ( shorter fork as well). :pissed:

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a bolt up on your F4i. :beer:

You're right, the RR uses different wheels, with larger diameter axles front and rear, my solution to that was to dig around until I found new bearings with the correct O.D./I.D. to fit the old wheels AND the new axles. I have sorted every aspect of the swap, outside of the final geometry, with one exception: the collars/bearing spacers inside the wheels. I ordered the RR parts, with the hopes that they will slide right into the F4i wheels; if they don't, I will have to turn them down on the lathe until they do wink.gif

The vfr forks are approx. 33", the f4i's are around 31.5", and the rr is around 30". These measurements were taken with my trusty $2 tape measure, while the forks were on the bikes, so they're just a rough estimate to get an idea.

Here's a link to guy doing some off-the wall stuff with sportbikes. All you Frankenviffers out there will like it!

http://www.borderlinecustomcycle.com/

Can you say cross-breeding? :pissed:

Seriously, I've spoken to Hakeem in person, and through numerous emails, and can readily say that he knows his stuff, and is very helpful.

• Member Contributer

I run a F4i front end on my superhawk ( and VFR wheel/rotors=content!) with the full race tech treatment. The triples have a much different offset compared to the superhawk and change the handling "feel" pretty significantly: more stable at high speed but "somewhat" ponderous at low speed. Please note the quotation marks.

OTOH, the is the best compliance front end I've ever experienced. It was valved/sprung for track so it met my VTR's street requirements quite nicely since they are higher than a cbr. It was a gamble ebay purchase that paid off.

I have all the rake/trail measurements for the VTR, VFR, and CBR on another computer and will try to remember to post them here.

I run a F4i front end on my superhawk ( and VFR wheel/rotors=content!) with the full race tech treatment.  The triples have a much different offset compared to the superhawk and change the handling "feel" pretty significantly: more stable at high speed but "somewhat" ponderous at low speed.  Please note the quotation marks.

OTOH, the is the best compliance front end I've ever experienced.  It was valved/sprung for track so it met my VTR's street requirements quite nicely since they are higher than a cbr.  It was a gamble ebay purchase that paid off.

I have all the rake/trail measurements for the VTR, VFR, and CBR on another computer and will try to remember to post them here.

Thanks, we look forward to it! :thumbsup:

You're right, the RR uses different wheels, with larger diameter axles front and rear, my solution to that was to dig around until I found new bearings with the correct O.D./I.D. to fit the old wheels AND the new axles. I have sorted every aspect of the swap, outside of the final geometry, with one exception: the collars/bearing spacers inside the wheels. I ordered the RR parts, with the hopes that they will slide right into the F4i wheels; if they don't, I will have to turn them down on the lathe until they do wink.gif

The vfr forks are approx. 33", the f4i's are around 31.5", and the rr is around 30". These measurements were taken with my trusty $2 tape measure, while the forks were on the bikes, so they're just a rough estimate to get an idea.

How about the brakes and rotors ?

Top of the tube to axle center line on the CBR F4 is aprox. 31 3/4" and the VFR is like 32 3/8" or like 16 mm. I figured the top of the F4 tubes would be 5mm below the top of my Heli bars to maintain the same fork length I currently have.

How about the brakes and rotors ?

Top of the tube to axle center line on the CBR F4 is aprox. 31 3/4" and the VFR is like 32 3/8" or like 16 mm. I figured the top of the F4 tubes would be 5mm below the top of my Heli bars to maintain the same fork length I currently have.

Brakes and rotors are completly different from the F4i, as they are radially mounted. Stock 05 600rr brakes are 290 or 296mm in diameter, I am using 330mm 929 rotors. The bolt pattern matches and I am told that the offset is the same. I will make up the difference in rotor diameter by utilizing stainless steel spacers that I'll have to turn on the lathe to "raise" the calipers off their mounts by 34(or 40)mm. This'll put the pads back in contact with the middle of the rotor. It all looks good on paper, but I'll find out firsthand in the next couple weeks. Even if it all bolts on, I'll still have to start from scratch with susp. settings, because I will have in essence 're-designed' the bike. I don't know of anyone else that has done this exact swap, so I'm kinda shooting in the dark. I'll start with baseline settings and work from there. I still need to purchase a set of Vortex clip-ons (for the 600rr forks) that I can weld riser blocks onto, as the stock RR clips mount below the triple, and will not clear the bodywork, which I am not willing to modify. The RR upper is also already a "gullwing-style" clamp, which rules out the trick Rob(veefer800canuck) and others have used to get by with their RC51 setups. For brakes I will be using a complete 2004 Yamaha R1 system, which is comprised of a Brembo radial master cylinder, and one-piece calipers, as opposed to the conventional master and Tokico calipers used on the rr, because the RR front end I bought on ebay didn't come with brakes, and the Yamaha system came up before anything else(and it has a BREMBO RADIAL master :pissed: ). I'm hoping to score some stainless lines for this setup too. Precise one-finger braking anyone? :beer:

When I measured the forks, I went from roughly the top of the tube to the bottom of the leg. Not very accurate, but I just wanted to get an idea of the situation.

Keep your fingers crossed for me Kev! :lol:

• Member Contributer

Here are the figures I found when researching front end possibilities for my SuperHawk. (note: low price was #1) :salesman: All of these use the same steering head bearing so I thus "assumed" they bolt right on. Mine did anyway.

model rake/trail

VTR1000F 24.9/97mm

F4i 24.0/96mm

98 VFR 25.5/100mm

VTEC 25.5/95mm

919 25.0/98mm

Blackbird 25.0/99mm

Edit: $%&*! This was nicely formatted for easy reading until I posted it!

Remember: more trail typically means less offset on the triples. Because the F4i has nearly a degree less steering head rake than my VTR, the cbr triples have much less offset to get back nearly the same amount of trail (97vs 96).

Since I was upgrading from 41mm to 43mm forks, I had to add new triples. You can take that variable out of the equation during a vtec swap and use the stock triple. Also, I run a superbike bar kit so I wasn't concerned about shorter fork leg/clip on spacing.

One last note: USD forks are a popular mod with the superhawk crowd and common issues are: clipon angle/height, clipon interference, steering stop mismatch, horn placement, and fork length.

Here are the figures I found when researching front end possibilities for my SuperHawk. (note: low price was #1)  :salesman:  All of these use the same steering head bearing so I thus "assumed" they bolt right on.  Mine did anyway.

model                    rake/trail

VTR1000F              24.9/97mm

F4i                        24.0/96mm

98 VFR                  25.5/100mm

VTEC                    25.5/95mm

919                      25.0/98mm

Blackbird              25.0/99mm

Remember:  more trail typically means less offset on the triples.  Because the F4i has nearly a degree less steering head rake than my VTR, the cbr triples have much less offset to get back nearly the same amount of trail (97vs 96).

Since I was upgrading from 41mm to 43mm forks, I had to add new triples.  You can take that variable out of the equation during a vtec swap and use the stock triple.  Also, I run a superbike bar kit so I wasn't concerned about shorter fork leg/clip on spacing.

One last note:  USD forks are a popular mod with the superhawk crowd and common issues are:  clipon angle/height, clipon interference, steering stop mismatch, horn placement, and fork length.

Good to know, thank you! It seems my Vortex triple won't make the grade by itself then... :pissed:

Guest mufasa
I will make up the difference in rotor diameter by utilizing stainless steel spacers that I'll have to turn on the lathe to "raise" the calipers off their mounts by 34(or 40)mm. This'll put the pads back in contact with the middle of the rotor.

No you're an idiot. You'd only have to take up half that since you are only dealing with the difference from the center of the axle to the edge of the rotor, radius, not the entire diameter of the rotor.

----> 17-20mm difference in caliper position...

No you're an idiot. You'd only have to take up half that since you are only dealing with the difference from the center of the axle to the edge of the rotor, radius, not the entire diameter of the rotor.

----> 17-20mm difference in caliper position...

Thanks for nicely pointing out my typo... :goofy:

How about filling in some of your info and introducing yourself before you mindlessly start calling people idiots?

No you're an idiot.

Welcome to the forum to you too!

Interested to see how this whole thing plays out. Bought a set of f4i forks to play w/ on my VFR and the seller decided he didn't want to ship them to me... noobs. Anyway. waiting to see what you end up concluding with.

Interested to see how this whole thing plays out. Bought a set of f4i forks to play w/ on my VFR and the seller decided he didn't want to ship them to me... noobs. Anyway. waiting to see what you end up concluding with.

Sorry that didn't work out for you J. I am taking a break from side jobs and projects for the summer, just finishing up what I have, then enjoying myself for the rest of the season.

Trying to set myself up for a productive winter, working on getting back to four pretty running bikes instead of just the one...

• Member Contributer

Hello.

This is about the 5th generation, but i think it can worth for the 6th too.

I discovered that the steering fork stem of the 1987 CBR Honda 600 is perfectly the same of the 1989 VFR800.

It's enough to remove the welding under the bottom of the lower triple clamp to have a new item to fit on VFR.

This can be useful to install another kind of forks that requests the triple clamps substitution too.

More, even the steering bearing is the same.

ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer
No you're an idiot.

Wow, looking forward to more great contributions to VFRD ! <_<

Sold the GSXR ? :goofy:

Archived