iPod volume changing?

Guest Ikazuchi

Guest Ikazuchi

Anybody else stick their iPod in their tank bag while they ride? Ever since I got the VFR my iPod has been changing volume by itself while I'm on the bike. I don't know if it's hitting the resanance freq for the volume control or if my iPod is just freaking out on it's own. I don't really use it besides my rides to work so I'm not sure if it's doing it anywhere else.

Anybody else even run into this?

• Member Contributer

Mine doesn't change volume on its own, but the difference in quality from my mp3 selection can make the volume seem to change. I put mine in my tank bag map pouch, that way I can adjust on the fly if need be. Hope this helps.

EDIT: What kind of I pod do you have. I have a gen4 20 gig standard.

• Member Contributer
Anybody else stick their iPod in their tank bag while they ride?  Ever since I got the VFR my iPod has been changing volume by itself while I'm on the bike.  I don't know if it's hitting the resanance freq for the volume control or if my iPod is just freaking out on it's own.  I don't really use it besides my rides to work so I'm not sure if it's doing it anywhere else.

Is it stuck in there loose? I just got the 30g, and even in the standard case, I can change the volume. I've stuck it in my jeans pocket in the case and had the volume change on me.

Maybe shifting around in the tankbag is causing the changing volume?

BTW, have not used it on the bike.

• Member Contributer

I have the 4th gen 20gb as well with the AirClick RF remote mounted on the left bar. I keep it in my inside breast pocket and it has never changed the volume by itself.

• Member Contributer

If it is changing by moving around in the tank bag, you could solve that by putting the "hold" feature on. That disables all the input controls to prevent stopping, skipping and changing songs while in a pocket etc.... Then if it still does it, it may just be the difference in quality between the MP3's.

• Member Contributer

I also have the griffen airclick attached to the left bar, with my iPod in my jacket pocket never had an issue except for the differring volume of different songs, thats the one thing I hate about mp3's. but it's a small price to pay for the convenience.

They make a wired remote for about 50 bucks US. This is for the new ones. I just got a new 30g and need to get this. Apple also makes the wired remote for older versions. I had one for my 10g and it worked really well. Also the new wired remote has a FM transmitter built it that why I think it cost 50.00US.

for anyone who's having problems with different mp3s playing back at different volumes due to the gain of the actual files - you should know that you can fix this fairly simply.

i use a program called foobar2000 for mp3 playback on my computer and one of its features (many other programs will do this too) is to scan all your files, measure the gain (per file or otherwise, i generally like to do it per album) and match them all to the same level. foobar2000 calls the feature 'replay gain' other programs may refer to it as normalization or something similar.

it should only take a couple minutes to initiate this process and even for exceedingly large collections it shouldn't take more than an hour to scan an balance everything.

edit: i should also note that itunes can do this as well - i assume most of you ipod users are using itunes... i can elaborate on the process if there's a need for it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Superchode that is great info to have. What is it called in Itunes?

My issue is the connection between the remote receiver and the IPOD getting stressed it changes the volume mid track on tracks I know have even gain.

in itunes it's called 'sound check'... i will warn you that the itunes normalization doesn't really work as advertised and you may not notice the improvement you're looking for.

really i'd recommend foobar or a program dedicated to the process and run your whole collection through it at once - it'll write the replaygain numbers to the tags of the mp3 so it'll come out like you want it no matter what device you play it on.

edit: and yes, it won't fix the specific problem you were posting about - not sure what that's about.

My issue is the connection between the remote receiver and the IPOD getting stressed it changes the volume mid track on tracks I know have even gain.

• Member Contributer
If it is changing by moving around in the tank bag, you could solve that by putting the "hold" feature on. That disables all the input controls to prevent stopping, skipping and changing songs while in a pocket etc.... Then if it still does it, it may just be the difference in quality between the MP3's.

Oh, that's what that is for... :beer:

Instructions? Not familier with that term...

Guest Ikazuchi

I have the new one with video..whatever gen that is.

It is not a problem with the song levels, you can see the volume change on the screen when it happens. I'd like to figure out what I can do without locking the buttons. It's in the top of my tank bag so it's nice to be able to switch songs if something comes on that I'm not in the mood for. It's not just from the iPod shifting around because it never happened on my SV. I have a case for it that insets the controls about a quarter inch so it's not from the top of the bag brushing up against the controls.

I might have to just bite down and lock the keys. Actually make some playlists for the ride. :P

When I don't bring my bag and stick the iPod in my jacket, there's no problem, I'm assuming because the keys are locked.

With the remote... can you lock the keys on the iPod and still use the remote?

In iTunes under Preferences > Playback there's a checkbox for "Sound Check" which sets all the songs to the same sound level. Takes a while the first time you turn it on.

• Member Contributer
With the remote... can you lock the keys on the iPod and still use the remote?

I can do that with my Nano. I would assume all Ipods will work that way. I have a Griffen wired remote and it works quite well.

Google "Ijet"

I bought one for my ipod. It is a wireless remote that lets you turn the ipod on/off, adjust volume, and go forward/backward in the song list. I think I paid about $40 for it.

I attached it to the carry handle on my tank bag and ride/listen for hours.

Works great, I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

time for a little selfish thread resurrection...

looking for a decent (preferably online) source for ipod accessories in canada.

any canucks here have a go-to place?

• Forum CEO

Interesting topic, I had an RCA lyra for a year. It was great with my ER6 earphones, comfy in the ears and good sound. I found it hard to deal with the small buttons and when it rained it always got wet. A couple of times it actually stopped working when It got a direct hit, I had to take it apart and clean it dry it out. I got rid of it and sold it to a buddy at work for cheap, he appreciated it since I sold it for a fraction of what it was new.

Now I have an Ipod Nano, the 2 gig one. I bought a waterproof Otterbox for it and put some heavy duty 3M hook and loop tape on it to secure it to the bike. I found the click wheel is no good with my riding gloves, I can click it but cant adjust volume. If I buy a remote its gonna get wet and be just like the lyra. I dont use a tankbag anymore. I wonder if I can modify a finger in my glove to make the click wheel work? How does the click wheel work anyway? Its like touch pad on a laptop, why doenst it work with my glove on?

Anybody know of some good software that can equalize volume levels in MP3? I have a little program that can handle small files but it locks up with large ones. It changes the DB level somehow and saves it to the mp3 file. I have some files that are too loud and some too low!

i use foobar2000 to normalize the mp3 output of my collection. it's an mp3 playback program - but it has this feature. in foobar, it's called 'replay gain'. the dB adjustment required is written to the tags of the mp3 and it will from thereafter play back at the same volume as the rest of them.

you're likely having problems with the nano and your gloves due to pressing too much of the click-wheel at one time. i'm sure you can think up any number of simple solutions to this problem - or at least do something to test that.

• Member Contributer
time for a little selfish thread resurrection...

looking for a decent (preferably online) source for ipod accessories in canada.

any canucks here have a go-to place?

We Love Macs They ship to Canada.

Slammer.

The airclick remote I use is also available for the Nano. I velcro it to my left bar just below the resevoir but for rain I stick it in the map pocket on my tank bag the buttons are raised enough where you can sort of depress them as long as there is something to give resistance in the bag. I am consider fashioning a weather guard for the remote.

Anybody else stick their iPod in their tank bag while they ride?  Ever since I got the VFR my iPod has been changing volume by itself while I'm on the bike.  I don't know if it's hitting the resanance freq for the volume control or if my iPod is just freaking out on it's own.  I don't really use it besides my rides to work so I'm not sure if it's doing it anywhere else.

I am sorry , but we actually talk about cages yakking on cell phones being distracted and not seeing M/Cycles ??

I now see we dont practice what we preach as admitting to using devices that may cause us not hear a warning siren or someone calling out a warning...

TSK , TSK ,TSK....

• Member Contributer

I actually hear fine with mine in as they are noise cancelling and allow a lower volume. I can hear other riders talking to me while moving. Legal not even close, do I care not a bit.

I have been looking for a tank bag that has a dedicated iPod pocket up on top with a clear window so that you can see all the controls easily. I talked to the local Held distributor and he just received the new prototypes for 2006 and they have this feature. No other tank bag I've researched has this.

Archived