Frame Sliders

jeremy556

Question

• Member Contributer

I just wanted to get others' opinions on frame sliders.

I recently spent a bundle on the ones from the UK that come with a smaller coolant reservoir. On the UK VFR board a number of people have complained about these causing more serious damage to the bike than not having them, specifically bent frames and cracked engine blocks.

Is this a case of a of those 1 in a 1000 that have a bad experience with a product and voice it loudly, while many others have been spared damage, or is this common? I know they are not specifically meant to protect body work, but I just replaced every piece of plastic on the bike, as well as radiators, stays, etc and it seems to be frame sliders may have prevented a lot of the damage.

I think you've asked the million-dollar question.

It's been 3 hours since you asked, and nobody has responded.

That's because....there is no right answer.

The only possible answer is......"it depends".

"Depends on what?", you ask.

Well, there's that million-dollar question, again!

• Member Contributer

As Trace has said, there's just too many variables to say with any certainty that sliders will 100% protect 100% of the time.

I imagine from your description that you bought the R&G frame sliders. A friend has those and had a get off and we both feel that their sliders definitely helped reduce damage. They seem to be well made and quite sturdy so I think it's fair to say that you've got good one's.

I've got sliders on both my bikes and form my research etc. it appears that the majority of the time that do help....but every crash is different...hence the variables, so basically it seems to just depend on the situation.

I've got sliders on both my bikes and form my research etc. it appears that the majority of the time that do help....but every crash is different...hence the variables, so basically it seems to just depend on the situation.

Let me see if I can help clear this up:

Situation 1: 25 mph, a huge antifreeze spill mid corner, bike goes down on one side, slides down the pavement into a flat, grassy area.

I'm guessing they'd help

Situation 2: Cruising down the interstate and T-bone a deer. You're flipped off the bike which then begins cart wheeling down the freeway and out into the guard rail, trees, overpass.

Not gonna do a damn thing for ya.

Like they've said, just way too many variables. The same variables that determine if you live or not!

If it helps, I just purchased some Motovation sliders that I'll be installing next week. I figure it can't hurt to have 'em.

Situation 1:  25 mph, a huge antifreeze spill mid corner, bike goes down on one side, slides down the pavement into a flat, grassy area.

I'm guessing they'd help

Yep. Unless......that slider catches on something....that the big smooth fairing wouldn't have.....and launches the bike over the guardrail at the end of 50 yards of flat, grassy area. So.....whadyagonnado?

But....(big but)....I figger that correctly placed, well-designed, sturdy sliders are probably going to help more often than not. But that more often statistic is about a whole bunch of downed bikes and the damage trends that can be tracked and analysed and catagorized. It's not about the one, maybe two go-downs your own personal bike may or may not have.

All things considered, like low-speed parking lot mishaps and such annoying things--it can't hurt to have 'em.

Too bad there's no million dollar answer.

• Member Contributer

On a serious note, This is what insurance is for unless you are on a track. If you put the bike down, make a claim. You pay top dollar for full coverage, why not use it. They will make the bike perfect again and you don't have to have some bulky slider thing poking out. Now for BLS and MR. RC45 which you can't get panels for, or if you have custom paint or panels I can see the use. But for the stock bike, let the insurance replace. If it gets totaled out, they give you full market value, and right now, VFR's are going way below market, so you just may make money in the deal.

Greetings! I've had the HPS frame slider kit o my '98 for 3+ years and finally used them two weeks ago. I left work, rode one block when an SUV to my right pulled out in front of me to make a left turn. I laid the bike down, but didn't hit the SUV. Bike slid on its left side with only a small 1 inch scratch to the left fairing, but the frame slide kit was distroyed. Another is on order. Hope this helps

My buddy lowsided his ZX9R at about 50, and they definately helped keep the frame from sliding on the ground. His plastics were shredded, but the frame was okay. Plastics are cheap compared to buying a new frame and all the work involved in swapping everything over.

My buddy lowsided his ZX9R at about 50, and they definately helped keep the frame from sliding on the ground.  His plastics were shredded, but the frame was okay.  Plastics are cheap compared to buying a new frame and all the work involved in swapping everything over.

Yes, I'm sure that was the case for your friend, and that's great. and that's probably the most common result. But would the plastics have shredded anyway and protected the frame and guts in the process, anyway? I think the larger question posed by the orginal post (the million dollar one) would be "Is there a chance that sliders can send the load to the frame/engine mounts and REALLY fook sumpthin up?" So, okay, let's limit the situation to VFRs and the various slider configurations available. And then there's the swingarm. What about that?

Will they help? Well, it depends..... :goofy:

I think it's a worthwhile addition to a bike. Good chance it will prevent or minimize damage. Not much chance it will cause more damage than if it weren't there. :thumbsup:

The only reason I see to buy them, and this gets rid of a lot of the 'variables', is in case you drop your bike and want to prevent fairing damage.

<_<

zw

• Member Contributer

My Two Cents,

I have the R&G sliders on my 02. Have "used" them once - result - only a miniscule scratch on the mirror plastic. This was a lower speed low side - I don't think anything will save your bike at high speed or if it goes end for end.

I have them for just this above reason - to save my plastic/frame on a low side or a drop. While it would be nice to make insurance claim I would only do that if had major damage. Here the VFR is classified as a sportbike and we pay a premium to insure it. If you make a claim you can be pretty sure your going to see a huge renewal increase for the next 3 years or so - thats if they will renew you - so really your paying to fix it anyways unless its a write off.

Yes, I'm sure that was the case for your friend, and that's great. and that's probably the most common result.  But would the plastics have shredded anyway and protected the frame and guts in the process, anyway?  I think the larger question posed by the orginal post (the million dollar one) would be "Is there a chance that sliders can send the load to the frame/engine mounts and REALLY fook sumpthin up?"  So, okay, let's limit the situation to VFRs and the various slider configurations available.  And then there's the swingarm.  What about that?

Will they help?  Well, it depends..... :goofy:

Wow, your "Will they help? Well it depends..." is a great addition to the discussion. That's only been mentioned 3 times already.

Since only one other person posted their experience with frame sliders, I thought I'd post up my experience with them. Sorry it wasn't me tossing my VFR down the road.

IMO, asking if frame sliders are a good investment in saving your bike is like asking if airbags will save your life? Well, it depends. No one plans on crashing, that's why they're called accidents, not on-purposes... In a perfect lowslide, yes they will save your frame. They're not designed to save your plastics. If you want that type of protection, buy a stunt cage. The reason frame sliders are good insurance is because a new frame will run you $1300+ Frame sliders are $100. Any blemish on the frame in the insurance adjusters eyes is a totaled bike. The liability involved in frame damage is something most insurance companies don't want to assume.

• Member Contributer

The RG sliders fit onto a stud that passes right through the frame & engine with nuts each side holding them all together. For a simple drop or low-side they will protect the plastics, frame & engine. On a fast low-side they are designed to fold back should the slider hook-up on something so that the bike does not cartwheel AND so that the frame/engine part of the slider remains intact so there is no damage to the frame & engine. In the case of a high-side they don't help at all NOR do they agravate anything; in this case you get what was comming your way without a difference.

The Motivation slider fits onto a bolts each side of the bike which pass through the frame and screw into the engine. Now this is very different in that there is a much greater chance of the bolt being ripped out of the engine & damaging the frame if the slider hooks-up.

BLS was able to fit a slider forward & lower on the RC 45 plus make the footpeg non-folding. When he low-sided Mr RC 45 there were 3 points in contact with the ground; the slider, the bar end & the footpeg so the plastics were held off the road completely.

• Member Contributer

It has to be said that Frame Sliders are not designed to save your fairing. And they won't - even at low speed your fairing will touch the ground if you drop the bike. However, they will minimise the damage as compared to not having them.

The reason I bought mine though, is because in the two times I have dropped the bike, the impact of the fairing on the ground has pushed in and dented the tank. And the tank has to come off and get resprayed - which takes aaaages. With the frame sliders, I will only damage the fairing, mirror, and possibly bend a lever. These are things you can easily replace and keep riding while waiting for parts, unlike the usual 6 week delay I have to suffer while the tank gets resprayed!

Kaldek

• Member Contributer

Im looking for a winter project and all this talk about frame sliders has me interested, to me any upgrade or protection added is just that peice of mind, besides they are only like 100 or so bucks from what i have read.

can anyone suggest what the best sliders to consider installing for a 5th gen (2001)?

i seen these really neat ones that were clear with LED's in them that would glow so to speak, looked neat...

thanks

Michael :goofy:

• Member Contributer
i seen these really neat ones that were clear with LED's in them that would glow so to speak, looked neat...

My buddy had these on his 600rr and used them for turn signals. Not really my cup of tea, but did look pretty good, they where all black then on the end had a clear 1/2" that had about 8 amber led's in it. He paid about $250 for them, but they did look nice.

• Member Contributer
My buddy had these on his 600rr and used them for turn signals. Not really my cup of tea, but did look pretty good, they where all black then on the end had a clear 1/2" that had about 8 amber led's in it. He paid about $250 for them, but they did look nice.

do you remember the site or name by chance i want to order them now...

Michael

• Member Contributer
do you remember the site or name by chance i want to order them now...

Michael

Got them out of Dennis Kirk I believe. Keep in mind that you have to buy a slider kit specific to the VFR. Sliders and such are much more readily available on the CBR, I have not seen a lighted set for a VFR. My advice is to contact one of the companies that makes sliders for the VFR and see if they have a lighted slider that you could substitute for the black standard slider. They do look nice, and they eliminate the bulky turnsignal thing, but then there is a big hole in the fairing. Where does the madness stop. Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer
It has to be said that Frame Sliders are not designed to save your fairing.  And they won't - even at low speed your fairing will touch the ground if you drop the bike.  However, they will minimise the damage as compared to not having them.

The reason I bought mine though, is because in the two times I have dropped the bike, the impact of the fairing on the ground has pushed in and dented the tank.  And the tank has to come off and get resprayed - which takes aaaages.  With the frame sliders, I will only damage the fairing, mirror, and possibly bend a lever.  These are things you can easily replace and keep riding while waiting for parts, unlike the usual 6 week delay I have to suffer while the tank gets resprayed!

Kaldek

Yea, this is basically what I am after. I just replaced radiators, the tank, oil pan, all the stays, and a bunch of other stuff that got crushed under tha fairing. If I can save a radiator they have paid for themselves.

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/BikeHPS_On...r_Honda_19.html

Are you talking about this set? I was thinking about buying them.

GO FOR RADARS' KIT!!! :thumbsup:

And he's a member too!

Bolts showed up today thanks to our very own parts supplier Joe W, great service and pricing for anybody whom needs Honda parts.

So pricing for my US customers has gone up a bit due to shipping and exchange... 5th gen and 6th gen Kits will now be $155 US, engine bolt and nut will be $25, I will refund $20 for your old bolt and nut after it is returned to me, shipping is now $23, as I am now using UPS instead of USPS, the first kit delivered by UPS took only a 10 days instead of three weeks.

Canadian customers...5th gen and 6th gen kits is still $175 Can, engine bolt and nut will be $25, I will also refund $20 after your old ones are returned, shipping is $15 via Canada Post.

I have both 5th gen and 6th gen at this present time ready to ship, If you wish to order a set, email me at radar88ster at gmail.com with your full name and address as well as Ph.#, I will then send you a paypal invoice.

Install instructions are found here, KKen did a great job and several customers have added some great tips, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29741

When you send back your bolt and nut, pleas send it cheapest route via parcle post or USPS, marked with value of $10 for ease in customs.

Now for both past and future customers, for me to ship these all over North America is just kind of cool, I've just gotten a real giggle out of doing this for you guys and I'd like to start a scrap book of pictures for myself, so if you have time I'd like you to take a picture of your bike like below that shows where you are from and I promise this is just for myself and I won't publish anything without permission. Thanks guys and gals.

Darren (aka Radar)

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/BikeHPS_On...r_Honda_19.html

Are you talking about this set? I was thinking about buying them.

That kits looks designed to crush your radiator...I wouldn't trust that strap with any weight bearing down on it. go for Radars kit....Drill once, love them forever.

Archived