Fuel level sensor nuts damaged

IMG_20240407_180613.thumb.jpg.ba5a166c53a9a268aa48fcbd4ef28aa1.jpgI own a 1998 Honda VFR 800, and recently, I needed to perform maintenance on the fuel level sensor. However, while attempting to open the bolts securing the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank, one of the nuts became damaged. Now, I'm wondering how to go about replacing that bolt.

• Member Contributer

Do you think there is enough material left to run a  thread die down to correct the threading? Or have you stripped the threads completely. If the latter, could you recut the bolt/ stud with the next size down ( for example if it was 6 mm cut a new 5.5mm or 5 mm thread) and use an appropriately sized nut?

Others may have a better idea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

How about a better shot from the side clearly showing the damage

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presson said:

Do you think there is enough material left to run a  thread die down to correct the threading? Or have you stripped the threads completely. If the latter, could you recut the nut with the next size down ( for example if it was 6 mm cut a new 5.5mm or 5 mm thread) and use an appropriately sized nut?

Others may have a better idea

The problem is that the nut is sealed to the frame and I have no idea if there is an easy solution for that to get it out. 

• Member Contributer

The "nut" is what came off of the stud.

Judging by the interior of that tank, this may may the smaller problem.  But if you could cut the stud off flush and get it to release from the bracket, you maybe be able to slide a nut under and then use the perfect length bolt to secure that corner.

You also might be able to use an SAE die instead of metric and get some decent threads for an SAE nut.  CAREFULLY "tighten" that one first with good Loc-Tite.  Let it cure overnight and then tighten the remaining 3 good nuts / studs.

There is also a good chance that with a brand new o-ring, 3 good mounts might compress and seal. 

15 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

The "nut" is what came off of the stud.

Judging by the interior of that tank, this may may the smaller problem.  But if you could cut the stud off flush and get it to release from the bracket, you maybe be able to slide a nut under and then use the perfect length bolt to secure that corner.

You also might be able to use an SAE die instead of metric and get some decent threads for an SAE nut.  CAREFULLY "tighten" that one first with good Loc-Tite.  Let it cure overnight and then tighten the remaining 3 good nuts / studs.

There is also a good chance that with a brand new o-ring, 3 good mounts might compress and seal. 

Thank you so much, 

I will try to install a new o-ring and use the 3 remaining mounts.

I appreciate your help 

• Member Contributer

If you are going to try that route, be sure to bend that damaged part of the bracket back down so it doesn't interfere with the fuel sender plate and prevent it from compressing the new o-ring as much as possible.  Probably bend it down a little farther than it's original position, but still allow the flange to install.  

Fill the tank with a good amount of fuel and set it on some newspaper over night somewhere that possible fumes would be ok.  You'll know if it leaks or not.  And don't try and use any sealant, it won't help. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I would tap that stud and get a nut on it. Looks like the tank needs to be cleaned also lots of rust. Good luck you can do it! 

• Like 1

I had the same problem and it also happened to 2 other nuts on the fuel pump housing. I got a professional welder to fix it. he did a great job for €50. He welded new bolt heads in, its been fine since with a new gasket & o-ring used on install.  Its not something you want leaking.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/7/2024 at 12:27 PM, Captain 80s said:

Judging by the interior of that tank, this may may the smaller problem. 

i agree the amount of rust in that tank is concerning. If that gets past the filter you're gonna have all kinds of FI issues. Not to mention the sealing surface for the sender O ring doesn't look very smooth.

A couple different ways to approach that rust: electrolysis, and Evaporust/vinegar. I did my old Ninja tank with Evaporust, and a handful of drywall screws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 1:05 AM, toreckman said:

I had the same problem and it also happened to 2 other nuts on the fuel pump housing. I got a professional welder to fix it. he did a great job for €50. He welded new bolt heads in, its been fine since with a new gasket & o-ring used on install.  Its not something you want leaking.

This is the exact same thing as I did.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1