Winterization

RLoibl

• Member Contributer

To help mitigate the ethanol phase separation, best use Seafoam as your stabilzer, my opinion only, and it's always worked well for me.  Mostly it's naptha and isopropanol.  If the ethanol gets to it's saturation point (4.5%) with water, the isopropanol will dissipate it as it can handle many times more water than ethanol can.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I would be very concerned about moisture unless it were environmentally controlled. 

• Member Contributer

Been leaving my bike in the garage for several months with half a tank of E10 and not had any problems (yet). If there has been separation, I've not experienced evidence of it. Just saying......

Mind you I prefer riding it rather than looking at it, and riding it with full fat 95 (which is the best we get here in UK)!

• Member Contributer

Esso E5 Synergy 99 is actually 100% petrol, the E5 sticker is required to inform you that it may contain up to 5% ethanol but in reality it’s ethanol free

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Esso E5 Synergy 99 is actually 100% petrol, the E5 sticker is required to inform you that it may contain up to 5% ethanol but in reality it’s ethanol free

That's an interesting one Thumbs, appears that with a couple of independent tests done it only achieved 93ron, apparently without the Ethanol. Sounds like Esso doesn't change the formulation to compensate for the absence of Ethanol. Customers needing say at least 95ron or higher for a high performance vehicle are being mislead at the risk of poor performance or possible engine damage! 

Also interesting in the same test Shell V-Power rated at 99ron achieved 101ron and according to the UK requirements may have up to 5% Ethanol.

Fortunately, it won't worry a VFR800 it's happy on 91ron. I'd still avoid Ethanol if it's possible, as always YMMV.

• Like 1