When a small job becomes bigger...

Terry

• Member Contributer

I have been a little unhappy with the power of the front brakes and decided to replace the pads with my favourites, EBC HH. When I bought this bike last year I gave the pistons a decent clean (and a thorough fluid flush) which helped a lot and I thought I had done a decent job of giving the system a decent once-over.

Turns out, not so much, as I missed a fairly important part of the right calliper, specifically the sliding pins. It took me about 5 minutes to replace the pads in the left calliper including cleaning the pistons, but as soon as I had the right calliper off, it was obvious that the main slide pin was corroded solidly in the alloy hanger.

After trying various methods to free it while still plumbed in, I had to admit defeat and break the banjo fittings loose and pull the calliper right off the bike. Some strategically aimed whacks with a drift got the offending parts apart, and the both pins were dry and crusty and a bit corroded. I cleaned them up, cleaned all the rubbery bits, slathered on some silicone grease and then went through the process of reassembly and bleeding. Should have taken less than 30 minutes but ended up being a good couple of hours.

And at the end of all that I now wonder whether I really needed new pads or if the lacklustre power was mainly due to the lack of calliper movement. Check your calliper slide pins people!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I you needed EBC HH pads...you didn't want better braking. 🤣

On a more serious note, you likely found your bug with the corroded pin. The pads need to move freely to work properly. I suspect that it would give a similar symptom as one or more dirty pistons. Nice work!

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, bmart said:

The pads need to move freely to work properly. I suspect that it would give a similar symptom as one or more dirty pistons.

Pretty sure he is referring to the pins that allow the caliper to move freely as the pads wear.  It is a common failure point on single action calipers.

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Pretty sure he is referring to the pins that allow the caliper to move freely as the pads wear.  It is a common failure point on single action calipers.

Correct; the slide pins were the culprits, not the pad pin. One set of pads looked more worn that the other which also suggests that the hydraulic force was fighting the unmoving calliper rather than just moving the pads. 

• Member Contributer

Just back from a 200km test ride. Massive improvement once the new pads bedded in (after about 5 applications). Even the rear brake seems to be working better than ever (got to love linked brakes).

IMG_5164.thumb.JPG.08da34f254ff01f3b77ea39731838aba.JPG

• Like 4

Beautiful machine, if I someday can find a good condition '00 in Yellow.. I'll buy it so dang fast it'll make my wife's head spin 🙂 Glad your brakes are up to your expectations now!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Terry said:

Just back from a 200km test ride. Massive improvement once the new pads bedded in (after about 5 applications). Even the rear brake seems to be working better than ever (got to love linked brakes).

IMG_5164.thumb.JPG.08da34f254ff01f3b77ea39731838aba.JPG

Nice one, but if you want to make a serious improvement to braking on the 5th Gen then I highly recommend fitting a set of braided brake hoses. My 01 is significantly better than before. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Skids said:

Nice one, but if you want to make a serious improvement to braking on the 5th Gen then I highly recommend fitting a set of braided brake hoses. My 01 is significantly better than before. 

I think I might need to win Lotto before I do that. I don't mind a little squish in the brake lines as long as there is decent power at the lever. With some decent pads and having fixed the fault I unknowingly was riding around, I'm happy enough. More than enough brake power for a bike without ABS!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, sed8r said:

I'll buy it so dang fast it'll make my wife's head spin 🙂 

76e6790d513bf374fea15a8342fbbca7.jpg.3dd59bfdb2adb432334c5deaaf6ba98a.jpg

:laugh:

• Haha 5