New here and gathering info on the VFR1200

ThatGuy

Just as the headline states, I'm new here and am looking for info to all things VFR1200.

Been looking for what to buy next and I keep coming back to the 1200. 

The hooligan in me appreciates the sound of the 800 more but it's underpowered and I'm mostly looking for a good performing sporty tourer for some longer rides to get away on.

Wanting decent power which it seems to have, comfort, styling, and really need aftermarket support as I don't leave anything stock for long.

Pro's/con's, things to watch out for, best performance upgrades, reliability, service intervals, etc. etc. etc. 

My history includes bikes ranging from my first, a 78 Yamaha 500xs cafe, Buell 1125R, Sporty Sports, R6, and my poor old beloved 1st gen FZ1 which unfortunately met it's demise on a new years polar bear run when we had an unfortunate mishap with some black ice leaving the last checkpoint... 😢

I'll be digging through these forums but if ya'll could point me to some pertinent reads, I'd be thankful as I've got plenty of experience with forums and know you can dig for hours and still have issues finding what you're looking for.

Thanks in advance and thanks for having me. Cheers

• Member Contributer

Hard for me to say the word Yamaha BUT, have you looked at the FJR1300, still in production, superb long distance sport tourer, shaft drive, heaps of power, great for any two up riding and bullet proof reliability, has a great look with panniers on or off. I know a few FJR owners and there's never a bad word spoken about them, sadly, not a Vee 4!

1 minute ago, Grum said:

Hard for me to say the word Yamaha BUT, have you looked at the FJR1300, stll in production, superb long distance sport tourer, great for any two up riding and bullet proof reliability, has a great look with panniers on or off. I know a few FJR owners and there's never a bad word spoken about them, sadly, not a Vee 4!

Yes I've looked at them but ultimately they are too large and not the performer I would like. Fine for cross country if you don't like to get down in the twisties, but not really for me.

• Member Contributer

I can heartily recommend a different Yamaha. I've had my MT-10 for 28000km so far and it has never disapointed. When giving it the beans, it IS thirsty, but on a brisk and spirited country road ride it is no worse than my VFR or ST1300, but the 17L tank is a little limiting (200km is really about it before thinking about refuelling). The riding position is very decent, I have the comfort seat and a fly screen and that is also good enough especially with some bicycle shorts. The chassis, brakes and especially the engine are what you might expect for a nearly current model, and the MT has real character that no other inline 4 ever has.

IMG_2010.jpg

Are y'all trying to talk me out of a VFR1200?

The reason I'm here is I'm interested in getting one and would like to get as much info on them so I know what to expect, have ideas for upgrades, etc. 

Didn't expect to just get suggestions for other bikes. Thanks though I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️🍻

• Member Contributer

Don't listen to them!

I returned a few weeks ago from 2800 miles across France and into Northern Spain on my 1200.

Flawless (except when I lost the rear brake on a very long downhill twisty section). 100mph = 50mpg (UK gallons). Honest!

Budget on upgrading suspension and comfort seat. Panniers are not very big. Brakes are awesome. Ensure shaft recall has been completed - punch mark above frame number. Lose the standard, heavy end can and find a smaller, louder one of your choice. ECU can be tuned remotely to remove 1st/2nd & 6th gear limitations and smooth out low rpms. Beware front brake disc warping.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Please let us know how you get on. :beer:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Skids said:

Don't listen to them!

I returned a few weeks ago from 2800 miles across France and into Northern Spain on my 1200.

Flawless (except when I lost the rear brake on a very long downhill twisty section). 100mph = 50mpg (UK gallons). Honest!

Budget on upgrading suspension and comfort seat. Panniers are not very big. Brakes are awesome. Ensure shaft recall has been completed - punch mark above frame number. Lose the standard, heavy end can and find a smaller, louder one of your choice. ECU can be tuned remotely to remove 1st/2nd & 6th gear limitations and smooth out low rpms. Beware front brake disc warping.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Please let us know how you get on. :beer:

Finally what I was needing lol. 

I've had plenty of Yammies, though from what I've been reading/seeing, they don't really have a sporty tourer in the same class as the 1200 here. FJ09 is fine and dandy but underpowered, MT10 is just a hoon machine and I don't need another one of those currently, and the FJR is a sportier cruiser but still just a cruiser imo.

1200 seems to be the logical choice to me. I've heard people complain about the sportier seating position compared to an FJR but just look at them, way different styles between the two. When the bulging discs in my neck finally get the better of me then sure, maybe I'll get the Yam, but I'm still able to ride 3-400 miles on my FZ1 before I'm done for so the Honda should be just fine.

• Member Contributer

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to turn you off the 1200, was just offering a suggestion based on what your're looking for in a bike.

IMHO the VFR1200 build quality is second to none and the engine character is fantastic. I've ridden both the dual clutch auto and the standard manual shift, personally I enjoyed the standard shift far more, as well as not having the added complexity of the auto dual clutch technology.

If you find a well cared for, more recent model, with low mileage you'll be kicking goals. 

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I wasn't trying to put you off the 1200 either. I think Hondas of that vintage are beautifully-crafted bikes, and the 1200 is now emerging as yet another quality unique product. I don't have room for another bike (at least that's what I tell my wife) but I do keep looking at used 1200s and thinking "what if..."? I also fancy a CBR1100XX Blackbird one day, for much the same reason. There is a video from Honda Collection Hall where they demo the 1200 and I can't get enough of the exhaust note!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seFPlh6gvG0

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

A point of order: the Dual Clutch Technology (DCT) is not an 'auto' gearbox. The gearbox is a manual gearbox, it just has 2 clutches which make for seamless gear changes, whether you let the bike make the changes or you change yourself with the handlebar controls or there is an optional, traditional style foot change available and you can flick between both methods any time.

Just sayin' :wink: :beer: :tongue:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Finally what I was needing lol. 

I've had plenty of Yammies, though from what I've been reading/seeing, they don't really have a sporty tourer in the same class as the 1200 here. FJ09 is fine and dandy but underpowered, MT10 is just a hoon machine and I don't need another one of those currently, and the FJR is a sportier cruiser but still just a cruiser imo.

1200 seems to be the logical choice to me. I've heard people complain about the sportier seating position compared to an FJR but just look at them, way different styles between the two. When the bulging discs in my neck finally get the better of me then sure, maybe I'll get the Yam, but I'm still able to ride 3-400 miles on my FZ1 before I'm done for so the Honda should be just fine.

It is quite a heavy bike, heavier than your previous bikes so well worth the test ride I'm sure you will try to take.

• Member Contributer

ThatGuy,

The following might help in your eval:

I just rolled 100K miles on my 2010, which I bought new in 2014.  My mileage has been roughly 70% commute and 30% sport.  The commute has been all freeway between 70-80 mph, while the sport riding has been long road trips (>2K miles) through the western US, all windy country, canyon and mountain roads.

The bike has been flawless, not a single issue other than an oil leak that was self-inflicted.  Other than standard maintenance it is true to the VFR line in terms of fit, finish and reliability.

I bought the DCT and have to say it is awesome.  Obviously for the commute, but even better in the corners.  Once you get the hang of paddle shifting, banging a shift mid corner under power or de-accel without chassis upset feels, well, like cheating.  The DCT is a polarizing option, but most that don't like it probably haven't spent much time on it.

As Skids says, it is a heavy bike but for me only noticeable in parking lots and in the tightest of successive corners.  Anything else and this thing is a rock, a powerful rock.

I've copied most of the mods detailed by the pioneer 1200 owners on this very site (I think the archives still exist).  The stock suspension sucks and there are plenty of good options for upgrade.  I went with DMr front and back and they have been a great option considering price/performance.  That would be the first fix I'd recommend.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Still loving mine too, about to click over 50,000 miles. I also did the DMr front forks with the rebound upgrade, and Ohlins rear shock. Installed the LSL supermoto handlebars to relax my back, and it helped transform the bike by making it way more comfy, and better control when riding like a madman. Also did the Don Guhl re-flash with the competition works pipe and removed the cat, and PAIR system. My friends laugh as I leave huge black stripes out of every corner! It sounds polite at idle, and aggressive when you ride it in the upper RPM range. The only downside is tires only last 2,500 miles tops - the front and rear wear perfectly as the torque an horsepower tear up the rear, and the heavy weight of the bike tears up the front. 

I also bought the full luggage set for touring, and leave the trunk on all the time as it's really useful, plus cops think it's an old guy's bike when they see it :goofy:

Only issues were a rock through my radiator, and hitting a deer at 70+ mph. Neither was the bikes fault, and the deer lived.

Good luck on your search!

• Like 1