5th gen sprocket questions

gig

• Member Contributer

Im changing my sprockets, I guess I've never payed attention but the front sprocket has some play against the 14mm retaining bolt is that normal?

i have wear on the outside facing portion of both the front and rear sprocket none on the inside facing. Curious if that seems normal or an alignment issue? 

78C633A3-4A60-41EE-A20F-DCE5816080B9.heic

DB6ACF97-2333-4372-AF28-440CC5B99731.heic

mice made a home in my swing arm, what a mess, i had to tear the whole back end down and take the swingarm off

BEA96D28-6086-497E-ABC9-4921A1E34320.heic

19A72695-03D0-4E1C-929E-C981CCFE80C3.heic

• Member Contributer

No slop in front sprocket that I recall but not been in there since 2019 due to lack of use. IIRC the Yamaha R1 uses the same splines as our VFR's so I used a lightweight steel front sprocket for R1. You can always use a spacer to ensure a snug fit.  

• Member Contributer

Is the play between the shaft and the front sprocket or internal to the transmission (no movement shaft to sprocket)? 

• Member Contributer

Not internal or splines, its between the sprocket and retaining bolt and washer. I use a lighter weight front without the attached rubber. I think I will add and additional washer as a spacer.  

• Member Contributer

ISTR the front sprocket is supposed to be able to move somewhat.  How much is another question.  But if Honda meant it to be rigidly attached to the output shaft, it probably wouldn't have been designed like that.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I was thinking the last time I had my countershaft sprocket off, there was a certain amount of lateral play. No rotary

movement on the shaft, but the sprocket was free to move a tad on the shaft sideways. We're talking basically just

enough movement to feel, and the nut/washer tightened to the shaft, not the sprocket.

Archived