Kenda KM1 - $153 Tire Set

vfrgiving

The KM1 is Kenda's first sport touring radial.  There aren't many size options, but 120/70 and 180/55 is available.  So far I have no complaints with these, and the price is outstanding.  I slapped a set of these on the VFR right before a big trip and have put 3,000 miles on them so far.  2,700 miles of that was interstate use loaded down with luggage.  The tread life is holding up remarkably well.  I got stuck in some very heavy rain enroute and they cut through the water without issue.

The luggage has been removed and I've done a couple rides on sporting mountain roads.  They've held grip just fine for the amount I push the VFR.  I'll post another update after a few thousand more miles, but I don't see any indication they won't have enough life left for the return trip.

This is at 3,000 miles use:

IMG_20230424_170832_(1080_x_2400_pixel).thumb.jpg.ed0a480267fb7b1cea687a24f1ff889a.jpg

IMG_20230424_170819_(1080_x_2400_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Interesting choice! I only know Kenda as a bicycle tire manufacturer. Currently,  I am running on Shinko Verge 011. Price was around $200 for the set. While the traction and tip in are good, I only get 3000 miles on front and rear. Same was for Conti motion tires which grip a little better, warm up quicker and are less sensitive to tar snakes (it seems that tar snakes becoming an art here lately) but always had a little shimmy effect on the front end, no matter how good these were balanced. 

Please report on the wear and how many miles you get out of these tires. From the picture,  it looks li,e these grip well at lean angle.

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Wald said:

From the picture,  it looks li,e these grip well at lean angle.

I'm not one to try and put a knee down, but I was having a fun ride there.  That photo was taken on the grade out of Borrego Springs on Montezuma Valley Rd just to give you an idea of the type of roads I'm testing these out on.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Wow, that's pretty darn good wear for 3000 miles!🙂

Will probably make it to 10k, eh?

2 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Wow, that's pretty darn good wear for 3000 miles!🙂

Will probably make it to 10k, eh?

I'm hoping so.  The last time I did this trip a few months ago I was running Shinko Ravens.  I got 10,000-11,000 out of that rear tire and a few thousand more out of the front.  I was prepared to buy another set but found these Kendas even cheaper and decided to give them a chance.

• Member Contributer

I hate to admit it, but I may go for a set later in the season. Thanks for the report.

• Member Contributer

They look like old Dunlops, D207s were they? 

2 hours ago, bmart said:

They look like old Dunlops, D207s were they? 

Maybe?  The tread pattern is pretty generic.  Could be a reminder of any number of sport bike tires.

There will be another tread life update shortly.  These should have 8,000+ miles on them by this weekend.

• Member Contributer

D207 ZR TIRE OVERVIEW

D207ZRF 3 4

That's magical mileage. I have 3k on my Roadsmart IIIs and I'm monitoring closely. 

5 hours ago, bmart said:

D207 ZR TIRE OVERVIEW

D207ZRF 3 4

That's magical mileage. I have 3k on my Roadsmart IIIs and I'm monitoring closely. 

It's going to be another 2,700 miles of interstate on a VFR loaded down with luggage.  I think there will still be a good amount of life left after based on what I've seen so far.

Yup.

This is 8,000 miles.  Squaring off on the rear is evident now but there's still a ton of meat left.  Looks like maybe 1/8th inch material above wear bars in the middle.  I could easily do another run across country on this set.  The return trip might be pushing it.

IMG_20230506_220928_(1080_x_2400_pixel).thumb.jpg.b4168222d54b6d6fdc60418f8d81b0c7.jpgIMG_20230506_220952_(1080_x_2400_pixel).thumb.jpg.6f3c5c29749b2b7ce0af0182356149c2.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

The Honda sticker pressures 36 - 42.  These are even cheaper now, Motosport has the 120/70, 180/55 complete set for $136 😲

Ugh, that's corporate CYA pressure for max GVWR at continuous top-speed of bike! You're sacrificing tonne of grip and safety at those pressures.  Try 33/36 psi for much, much better braking and handling.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Mileage/longevity vs. grip...always the same. I run 36/42. 

• Like 1

I feel like discussing preferred tire pressures is in the same categories as chain lube and engine oil.  All of which I have no real interest in debating.  I will say that is a nice video, but my VFR saw widely changing conditions throughout the trip.  From drastically different bike weight loads to temperatures from high 30's to 105.  Fiddling with tire pressure testing on a road trip is not my idea of a good time.  I keep my maintenance concerns as simple as possible on the road so I can enjoy the ride.  Maintain good chain slack and relative cleanliness and make sure tires are staying properly inflated.  I want good tread life and 36/42 has served me well.  If you want to try 33/36 in a set of KM1s you are more than welcome to.  I'm merely pointing out here that there's a set of cheap tires that work.  Money saved spent elsewhere on fuel, beer and good food.  YMMV. 😊

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

Heh, heh... I'll try out set at my preferred pressures. Have gone through at least 50 sets of tyres on this bike. Thanks for the find! 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

All of which I have no real interest in debating.

One less person to chime in. Excellent! 😛

On a serious note, PSI isn't as important as folks think. You should see the variation at a track day for people who are all much faster than we are. 

1 hour ago, bmart said:

people who are all much faster than we are. 

LOL!  Key takeaway here.  I'm not trying to be Guy Martin on the Snaefell out there.  With my police handlebar and lower footpegs I'm happy at my medium pace.  I was up on Palomar on the weekend when some of the local go-fast crew was out.  Full leathers and Ducatis.  I moved my relative tortoise keister to the fog line when I saw the headlights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

And you don't notice the crazy wear pattern? That would have driven me mad thousands of miles ago. 😇

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

And you don't notice the crazy wear pattern? That would have driven me mad thousands of miles ago. 😇

Just for my info and maybe the general audience, do you mean the wear on the sides ie. off center? Seems like a thin lip of rubber on the trailing edge.

Cupping? On the rear? But the center looks OK.