86 VFR700F Retool or therapy or both

tsmitty

• Member Contributer

So if I pivot the bezel closer to the mirror mount, I can still just manipulate the "trip counter", more trimming of the V/M connectors, surface mounted bracket from the mirror m/post???? Long story short, there is clearance and everything can be reversible. I plan to do the same for the wire harness. 

So do you thing the Honda gods would be pleased or should I go with full concealment..?

• Member Contributer

Go for it.  Everything you've done so far is pretty sano.  If you don't like it, you'll know.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Inching forward, I did some reinforcing to the underside of the bezel.

I added some curved plastic from scrap to better allow the assembly to nest to the tach-o, that fabric stuff I have is flippin awesome at this, I still went by later with Plastex in the corners of the unions to make me feel better but I'm sure wasn't necessary, that fabric holds quite well.

Fixed the threaded incerts for securing the meter.

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb50660d1a01a62e9f863bc9a59789e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.408ca007970b0f7ca24387ade5251032.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.511432ed193250734a810224fa5672ff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.92a02ba4be330446e5d902f88acd5855.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3aa22fa2f3eefe26df3c82f9055fe2b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10db6174f001a87016fdb89ba7e62ba2.jpeg

Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I think it's gonna be cool and unique.

What are your attachment points, on the gauge and bike?

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

What are your attachment points, on the gauge and bike?

ummm..we have a crew of our brightest engineers...we are just hours away...

I'm going to try to bring a bracket from under the left mirror mount, so it won't interfere too much with the speedo moving around. 

Also looked at a bracket going down to a mount just under the speedo mount and fab up my own damper.

Or both.

Possible bracket running alongside the speedometer and zip-tie the volt assembly to the tach. assembly, but thought that might be too much load on the two speedhometer damped mounts.

What do you see here?

• Member Contributer

I would try and independently mount it from the upper cowl / mirror stay area personally.  And / or try and bridge across form the area  the tach mounts to.

• Member Contributer

On the volt meter side, using the mount hole with a rubber washer for a little cushion. 

The knob for the trip counter is directly behind, so any brackets has to come around that...

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

I would try and independently mount it from the upper cowl / mirror stay area personally

Yup.

Its warming up in the garage to work out there for a few. I'm going to work that angle. That one mount lug on the bezel looks plenty stout enough to hold the assembly.

• Member Contributer

Then try to come up under the mirror mount nut?

We'll see where this goes...

The wire harness plugs in at the left turn running lights plug.

• Member Contributer

Moving right along...here is what I have so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2c6aa1e75a39f4b2938458b41d82208.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f10a5d1f341f2e05904a31a816b07165.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a88928a8438ec5ad97150c6efaaf0d9f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.97a721654af27f8d6e0c92992ba21ded.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4a6747cf3bc3ac3b0cdc1e3396d0d18b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.72449c27f33717f832f9c47825ffa354.jpeg

I don't think a hose clamp will be strong enough to secure the 1/8x3/4 steel bracket I'm using for the bezel to the mirror stay by its self.

Maybe a small anti-rotation bolt at the bottom of the bracket and hose clamp?

What do you think...

• Member Contributer

I think the vise grips should be a perfect place to mount a skeleton hand mirror...

No hose clamps.  Don't sink to that level at this point.

Here's an idea and it's simple, effective, strong and something Honda does.

Get some mild steel tubing.  Heat and press flat with some aluminum chunks, radius them for a smooth "smush" transition.  Then figure out the rotation / length to connect the meter and the mirror stud off the bottom.

Here's an example from something I did for the 92

PXL_20240224_025711977.thumb.jpg.dc45dab6f99379ca25daaff7f80cc093.jpg

While the tubing is still in the "presses" and warm you can best guess an angle, but can be adjusted later.

• Member Contributer

I'll see what I can come up with. 

There'll wave to be some kind of dog leg on the piece and it will rest on top of the mirror mount pad area being sandwiched between the pad and the mirror hardware. Bringing the bracket up under the pad is too complicated because the pad piece is stamped and gusseted around the edge down there...(thinking out loud)

The mount holes on the bracket will have to be so large on the mirror end, dictating tube stock diameter.?.  1/16 wall thickness

Thanks for the input Captain, stay tuned...

• Member Contributer

You can also L bracket with some thin stainless sandwiched in the mirror, and then come over with whatever.  I do that quite often too as the extra joint gives you some adjustability.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 2/23/2024 at 10:15 PM, Captain 80s said:

PXL_20240224_025711977.thumb.jpg.dc45dab6f99379ca25daaff7f80cc093.jpg

While the tubing is still in the "presses" and warm you can best guess an angle, but can be adjusted later.

Whats your technique for making the crimp look good?

• Member Contributer

Cant lie...I tried my idea until I started forcing it to work.

So you think 1/2 od tube will work? 3/8?   I'll have to see what Lowe's has.

Still...those clean crimps you're creating there are sweet.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I touched on it earlier.  Alum blocks that I radius the edges a bit on for my "dies".

Get the tube set up in the press at the depth / angle / rotation I want, heat it up good and smush the fuck out of it.

The mild steel tubing you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes works really good, but the inventory on it has been low in the last couple years.  I ordered some from a local steel supplier, but didn't like the composition as much.  It wanted to crack a little on the edges of the smush.

Aerospace titanium on the other hand smushes real nice, but shaping and drilling after isn't as easy.  And it doesn't paint as nice.

• Member Contributer

I think 3/8 after smush has enough real estate for a big enough hole.  And likely matches what the upper cowl stay is made of.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

that mirror stay is 1/2ish so a smaller 3/8 tube might be good looking.

Chrome Molly?

Whatever mild steel shit they have with the square tube, angled and flat stock in the bins is perfect.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Been going through the house on a repurposing scavenger hunt... 

If I come off the mirror mount with a thin 90 heading downward, come off the bezel with my formed tube;

the other end of that formed tube will have a formed flat 90 to meet up with the piece of angle hanging off the mirror. 

Doable? Too light duty? Blowing smoke out some orifice somewhere?

I know you know what this is haha

image.thumb.jpeg.6a857b414999acbb47a9d15ae85f054d.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Maybe you could supplement the bracket and 3M the new piece to the speedo housing.  It would take some stress off and help with vibration / shaking, a lot.

PXL_20240225_175125864_MP.thumb.jpg.19c29933a49b8cac5607c76757e2fdac.jpg

Oh, and here's my dies.  They are scheduled for replacement.  They've smushed A LOT of brackets.

PXL_20240225_174920630.thumb.jpg.e8ca4993715cbf2593ef87250a395aeb.jpg