Brake Pedal Height?

wawasonqo

• Member Contributer

It doesn't matter much. Put it in the location where you can use it best/safest. Levers/pedals set to factory settings are usually quite far off from where they are most useful. 

18 hours ago, bmart said:

It doesn't matter much. Put it in the location where you can use it best/safest. Levers/pedals set to factory settings are usually quite far off from where they are most useful. 

What is a "normal" amount of travel when depressing the lever before you feel the pads engage the disc?

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, wawasonqo said:

Hi Folks,

According to the Service Manual the Brake Pedal Height is supposed to be 67.5mm (2.66").

What is that height in relation to?

Thanks!

It refers to Push Rod Length.

See this from the Rear Brake section of the Service Manual!

20230315_074209.jpg

• Member Contributer

Again, depends on the rider, their footwear, shoe size, butt-on-seat location, amount of air in system, clip-on location, caliper piston cleanliness, etc. I just looked in my owners and service manuals and do not see any spec. I have seen them in manuals for other bikes, but it is a starting point, not afinal adjustment location. 

Ride the bike to determine if the lever is low or high to get onto when you need it, and if the pedal location is adequate for how much brake you want to have available in the amount of movement you are comfortable with. 

There isn't a "proper setting" on this bike or any other. Sorry!

• Member Contributer

And some pics of where my '98 is and the moviement to actuate...which is minimal. I hope that these help!

20230314_220059.thumb.jpg.0900ec6cb45036fb2ed200ef6e68fe2d.jpg

20230314_220112.thumb.jpg.08d55d6f6179d5c9ef294a02bb759001.jpg

2 hours ago, bmart said:

And some pics of where my '98 is and the moviement to actuate...which is minimal. I hope that these help!

It looks about 1 cm at the front of the pedal, about the same as mine.

Will bleed the brakes.

At present, application of the pedal is not achieving anything. The wheel still turns and there's no modulation I can feel through the pedal.

I delinked the brakes with a kit from the UK with Braided Lines and at the time after doing that it appeared there was never much strength to the braking on the rear disc. I would have thought that with the 3 pistons all being activated together that there would be a noticeable difference but it seemed "dead/wooden" in feel. The front brakes in comparison only require 1 finger for most braking.

If I recall correctly, back in the day, some folks, who had delinked their bikes, replaced the master cylinder with one from a CBR600F3.

So, any ideas regarding this are most welcome.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
On 3/14/2023 at 9:08 PM, bmart said:

20230314_220059.thumb.jpg.0900ec6cb45036fb2ed200ef6e68fe2d.jpg

20230314_220112.thumb.jpg.08d55d6f6179d5c9ef294a02bb759001.jpg

Mine has always had the barest of travel, even when new so never messed with it but sometimes wonder if it's doing anything, unless stomping on the rear brake when not pulling on the front.  Only then can I tell the rear brake is working.

6 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Mine has always had the barest of travel, even when new so never messed with it but sometimes wonder if it's doing anything, unless stomping on the rear brake when not pulling on the front.  Only then can I tell the rear brake is working.

Are your brakes still linked?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, wawasonqo said:

Are your brakes still linked?

Yes-stock except for several set of new pads over the years.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:31 AM, wawasonqo said:

I delinked the brakes with a kit from the UK with Braided Lines and at the time after doing that it appeared there was never much strength to the braking on the rear disc. I would have thought that with the 3 pistons all being activated together that there would be a noticeable difference but it seemed "dead/wooden" in feel. The front brakes in comparison only require 1 finger for most braking.

If I recall correctly, back in the day, some folks, who had delinked their bikes, replaced the master cylinder with one from a CBR600F3.

So, any ideas regarding this are most welcome.

Thanks!

Do you have a link or name of that delinking kit?

1 hour ago, toreckman said:

It's in one of my posts for the following Topic:

Rear Brake Bleed (Delinked/De-linked) - Caliper Mounting?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
On 3/18/2023 at 7:56 AM, toreckman said:

HEL make a kit. 

Archived