GIVI PLX166 (V35) Side Rack on a 5th Gen?

ERVFR

Question

Hello all!

I am in search of a luggage system for my 5th Gen. I understand the PLX166 rack that houses the V35's are for a 6th Gen (PL257 for G5), but anyone out there have any luck "tweaking" the PLX166 rack to fit a Gen 5? I believe it is possible and has been done before in the past but can not seem to find any pictures or a write-up as to how. Just looking to see if this modification is feasible at all?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Are you against the standard Givi setup? I have two different ones on my 5th gens. 

20180502_161412.thumb.jpg.8dd92c5f29754e0f520945e00883b73e.jpg

20211111_155349.thumb.jpg.9c0698a65fbe148ac69cea605995d00c.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you're handy with a welder, or know someone who can at least snot them together like me, you can make anything fit.

This is the Givi for the 5th Gen but I cut it up a bit to fit my high level exhaust and to suit where I have my Öhlins preload adjuster mounted.

20230107_145113.thumb.jpg.37209b51bb25a572d2ed650c94199bf0.jpg20230107_144952.thumb.jpg.43e38623dd4ed7038f90d870eda27bb6.jpg20220820_163012.thumb.jpg.c41d6976a9a6a255846cc9e9d3a8415e.jpg

bMart:

Not against the standard Givi setup at all. The back racks you have are nice and the Givi 257FZ you have on the yellow one would be my choice if I have to use the PL257 back rack. I am more interested in the side luggage however. Like most 5th gen owners, the GIVI V35's are arguably one of the best looking side bags but only available for 6th Gen. (and newer models?)

Bren:

Very nifty! Feasible to me would consider some bending/cutting at the most. No welding tasks for me. So is that the 5th Gen Givi PL257 side mount? You just wanted to modify it for your high mount exhaust?

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, ERVFR said:

Bren:

Very nifty! Feasible to me would consider some bending/cutting at the most. No welding tasks for me. So is that the 5th Gen Givi PL257 side mount? You just wanted to modify it for your high mount exhaust?

To be honest I don't know the racks model number, it seems you have researched this already and are more clued up than I.

I bought the whole lot 2nd hand, including a 52 Liter slightly scratched topbox for €20. At that price I wasn't too worried about cocking it up.

I cut off the arm going to the passenger footpeg so I could bolt it on the outside of the footpeg, instead of the standard position of inside the peg, and after hitting it a bit welded it back in the new position. Then I cut off the short stabilising arm from the Givi pannier frame, which connects to a another bracket which comes down from the rear passenger handles fixing points behind the rear fairing, where the top box carrier bolts down to. I made a template, got some 25mm x 4mm flat steel plate and went at it with my blow torch, vice, hammer and various other heavy blunt instruments. What you see in my pics is Version 3. I can be very pedantic when it comes to detailed work, V2 wasn't that bad and would've done but the curve just wasn't quite right and would've driven me mad even though I cant see it 🙄

If you want to fit something from another bike then you'll have to cut and weld I'm fairly sure bending won't be enough but there's a lot of ingenious people out there who may have found a way!

Good luck with it.

The Givi stuff gets confusing fast.

If you want to use the PL257 side case racks, you need to have installed the 257FZ rear rack first.  The PL257 is designed to bolt up to the 257FZ.  For the 257FZ you choose what mounting plate you want, Monolock or Monokey.  Monolock is the more budget option and is typically scooter style light duty top boxes.  If you want more robust and larger, go with the Monokey plate.  The PL257 is plain Monokey, and there's plenty of other side cases you can pick from.  I have the E22N cases mainly because I don't want huge panniers on the VFR.  I'm not familiar with the PLX system, but it looks like a more modern and secure update to the Monokey.  I did a quick look to see if there was a simple adapter from basic monokey to PLX, but I don't think so?

This is my PL257 and 257FZ together, I don't leave them on the bike only installing for long trips.  There are subframe supporting brackets that come with the 257FZ that aren't shown.  They install under the tail plastic and can be left in place even if you feel like pulling the racks off.  I don't run a high mount exhaust, but the racks fit fine with my Delkevic tri-oval at standard muffler height.

givi.thumb.jpg.1f6aeabf8993e1050cea106654d9c607.jpg

• Member Contributer

Side racks are different to mine, I think mine are an earlier model. Yours are bolted to the peg swivel bolt, mine to the exhaust canister bolt. That's why I cut and shut the arm to move it inwards.

You also have pillion grab handles which I do not.

6 minutes ago, Bren said:

Side racks are different to mine, I think mine are an earlier model. Yours are bolted to the peg swivel bolt, mine to the exhaust canister bolt. That's why I cut and shut the arm to move it inwards.

You also have pillion grab handles which I do not.

I don't know when the current PL257/257FZ iteration was introduced, but that style has been around for a while.  I imagine it's probably the last update Givi will do for the 5th gen mounting system.

There's also the Hepco Becker side racks that maybe someone could slap the Givi PLX system onto.  I don't have any experience with the Hepco stuff though.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-side-carrier-honda-vfr-800-from-98-01

• Member Contributer

I have an HB setup on my 400 and hate it. I found the metal bits to be total crap. I had a warranty issue with mine and they sent me a replacement bent incorrectly just like the original, and then stopped answering my contacts. The bars hit the lights, etc. The bag is okay. Not Givi quality, but I like that it can be latched without being locked. 

On the little 400 it hung WAY off of the back, so I moved it forward. 

Maybe a VFR option would be better. 

20210128_175326.thumb.jpg.69c4d850ca6a46d78a3faf6df5db01b6.jpg

20210130_142050.thumb.jpg.d0a5f2fec81afb31086a0327eebccfa0.jpg

That's unfortunate to hear about the H&B quality issues.

It sounds like ERVFR is more interested in just a side rack setup, so I do see one advantage the H&B VFR racks have over the Givi.  The H&B VFR side racks can be used on their own and aren't dependent on having a top case rack.  The install document (German) is here.  https://www.hepco-becker.de/en/document/2924  Passenger grab handles are removed and there is a curved bracket that runs up and over the tail plastic and under the seat.  The one thing I don't like the look of is how they're clamping it to the passenger footpeg extensions.  That looks like potential wear at that spot.  I'd be wrapping that clamped area of the footpeg extensions with electrical tape before fitting that rack.

• Member Contributer

ERVFR is looking to mount the later offset V35 style bags to the 5th gen, using the 6th gen or Givi equivalent racks. The older Monokey (the 257 series) bags have the mounting points all in the same plane, not offset. I agree the newer Givi bags do look better. It may take some bending/welding. Edit: reading the threads below they may just mount up. It looks like it may be close, worth a try. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N~YAAOSwiD5c9UYu/s-l500.jpg

Here, racks on a 5th gen: 

6th gen racks on 4th gen: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87387-luggage-rack-options/&do=findComment&comment=1080175

PLX166_V35_Monokey_Side_Frames.jpg?2020-02-25

Picture 1 of 1

Thanks all for the responses. Good stuff! I've never heard of the H&B system so I'd have to do more research on that myself.

vfrcapn nailed what I'm trying to accomplish here though. Fitting the Givi 6th Gen racks on a 5th Gen to mount the V35 hard side cases. Ideally I would like a complete 3 case setup (not only sides) but I may start running into more issues trying to fit some top rack with the Givi 6th Gen sides on a 5th Gen. I know it's possible to accomplish this task however may be more that I could handle due to lack of proper equipment and time. I may dabble into this a little to see if it's possible with the least amount headaches. If I do I'll post my review/results here.

vfrgiving - What luggage do you use for your Givi setup?

• Member Contributer

A 6th Gen rack can be fabbed on a 4th Gen wit high mount too!

baltic.thumb.jpg.fc34b19ae2c2b7a7cd373443b1541e85.jpg.b35d88dd0a416763fbfd48bd7c039e71.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.182ee4bd3eca8e5a6762d845af0052a0.jpg.19bfdc09c3b88c67a57f12058468ec86.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think this is just the 257 trunk rack for the 5G with the 6G PL166 side racks. It looks like he just drilled a new mount point at the passenger peg. The rest looks original,

I've been looking for some new side bags myself and had been thinking of this also, but it doesn't look like it would work with a high mount pipe.

image.thumb.jpeg.533330bb7f0aaa9cdcf1927eec46388c.jpeg

38 minutes ago, vfrcapn said:

I think this is just the 257 trunk rack for the 5G with the 6G PL166 side racks. It looks like he just drilled a new mount point at the passenger peg. The rest looks original,

I've been looking for some new side bags myself and had been thinking of this also, but it doesn't look like it would work with a high mount pipe.

Unless I'm missing something those look like the the standard 257 series racks all round for a 5G. To my understanding the PL166 for the 6G has a diagonal side in its frame. The top bolt that gets attached to the back rack looks different as well.

givi_PL166.jpg

1 hour ago, vfrcapn said:

image.thumb.jpeg.533330bb7f0aaa9cdcf1927eec46388c.jpeg

This looked real promising at first, but it looks like it requires a very high fender cut to accommodate the Givi cross member.  That is the standard 257 fifth gen top rack.

....and just looked at my daily VFR I normally use the Givi racks with.  It already has a high fender cut.  I'm considering doing this now, lol.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, ERVFR said:

Unless I'm missing something those look like the the standard 257 series racks all round for a 5G. To my understanding the PL166 for the 6G has a diagonal side in its frame. The top bolt that gets attached to the back rack looks different as well.

givi_PL166.jpg

Look at the other pic in his gallery, definitely the 6g/Givi side racks. 

On 3/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, ERVFR said:

vfrgiving - What luggage do you use for your Givi setup?

This photo is a little dated, but shows my setup.  I have V47 topcase I purchased a couple years ago for use on a different model Honda, and E22N side cases.  This setup is a little annoying as the E22N lids are very close to the bottom of the V47.  The lids can hit the V47 a little when opening, but with a small amount of flexing and I can get them open.

2000givi.thumb.jpg.21f3a452df5c27d59bf8cb730483332a.jpg

On 3/5/2023 at 12:43 AM, vfrcapn said:

Look at the other pic in his gallery, definitely the 6g/Givi side racks. 

🤔 That's weird. Maybe the angled one is from a different model or manufactured year. Or maybe it has to do with the difference of PL vs PLX...I believe the 161 comes (or used to) in both.

On 3/5/2023 at 7:22 PM, vfrgiving said:

This photo is a little dated, but shows my setup.  I have V47 topcase I purchased a couple years ago for use on a different model Honda, and E22N side cases.  This setup is a little annoying as the E22N lids are very close to the bottom of the V47.  The lids can hit the V47 a little when opening, but with a small amount of flexing and I can get them open.

Gotcha. Yeah the options for the 257 series rack for the 5G are limited. Those aren't bad though. Have you ever taken a longer trip with you and a passenger before? Is 22L enough space for both of you?

• Member Contributer

Here's a few pics. I mounted the 6G PLX166 side racks to my 257FZ top rack for the 5G. The PL257 side racks are the standard for the 5G btw.

The PLX166's come close to bolting right up. A couple notes; the small heel loop on the right passenger peg needs to be cut off, the ears on the 166s where they attach to the 257 needed a little bend to match the angle of the 257 main strut (a very little), and the supplied bracket to tie the 2 sides together is too wide for this install. I need to make up a simple strut about 15cm wide. This will sit behind the license plate if the fender is trimmed high like mine and tie the left & right together.

My exhaust is midway between high and low mount and with the bags it may need to sit a little lower.

The only real pain is the seat release is right behind the bracket and there's no way to get the key in. I'll either need to space the racks out or probably just relocate the seat release.

IMG_2024 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2025 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2027 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2032 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2033 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2034 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2036 (Medium).jpg

• Member Contributer

Seat release as a hidden unkeyed button would solve it...for all of us. Maybe you can sell them. 🙂

On 3/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, vfrgiving said:

How so?  You should be able to toss any case from this collection on the 257 rack. https://giviusa.com/collections/monokey

If your goal is two-up, long distance I can't recommend the E22N.  Go with more space.

I should have said, "best looking" options hah. But that's just personal preference. Those suitcase style cases look the best on dual sports, not necessarily on a sport tourer.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:30 PM, vfrcapn said:

Here's a few pics. I mounted the 6G PLX166 side racks to my 257FZ top rack for the 5G. The PL257 side racks are the standard for the 5G btw.

The PLX166's come close to bolting right up. A couple notes; the small heel loop on the right passenger peg needs to be cut off, the ears on the 166s where they attach to the 257 needed a little bend to match the angle of the 257 main strut (a very little), and the supplied bracket to tie the 2 sides together is too wide for this install. I need to make up a simple strut about 15cm wide. This will sit behind the license plate if the fender is trimmed high like mine and tie the left & right together.

My exhaust is midway between high and low mount and with the bags it may need to sit a little lower.

The only real pain is the seat release is right behind the bracket and there's no way to get the key in. I'll either need to space the racks out or probably just relocate the seat release.

And there it is! Nice job Capn. That is exactly what I was talking about and seems completely worth the minor tweaks needed to make it fit. I know it's been before, but for the sake of a new updated thread on an old topic...Thanks for being the guinea pig. 😁👍. What cases are you look at?

• Member Contributer

It seems the V35 and V37 are the only two Givi options. I think they are OEM on the Yamaha and Suzuki too so there are cheaper used ones on eBay, if you don't mind the Yamaha or Suzuk label.

I was also reading about the Kappa K33, I guess Kappa is a sister company of Givi and use the same mounts, & they're about 1/3 cheaper.

Still looking around though. I do like how the racks follow the body lines, looks cleaner than the other options.

• Member Contributer

Few pics with the Kappa K33's installed. Ordered from Italy through eBay, took only a week for delivery and were 40% cheaper than Givi. They're basically identical to the Givi bags and use the same lock sets.

IMG_2191(Medium).thumb.jpg.b76a217e5820914a2bbeb056b8c063b3.jpg

IMG_2189(Medium).thumb.jpg.ae66a2988337b19973a741f1282a617d.jpg

IMG_2188(Medium).thumb.jpg.c3dea0ab1c834a439cc0eb10b06b70e9.jpg

IMG_2186(Medium).thumb.jpg.5af301fb5f2a7120323a9448e058c217.jpg

Archived