What ca you do with 500€??

Coatzin

Hi everyone!!

I saved up a (little) bit and might be able to spend 300-500€ on my bike next month :cheerleader:

And while I am really tempted by a full delkevic exhaust system, I am wondering if going for a PCV would be a better choice...

At the same time, I read here a great number of posts of people explaining how a rear shock upgrade changed their life....

And finally, my butt tells me that a custom made seat (~250€) isn't a bad idea either....

so, yeah, having to many things that I want and not enough money I came here to seek wisdom :blush:

What did you start with?

Thx in advance :beer:

Let me explain my vote... PCV with catalytic converter not good, rear shock could be more placebo effect than real gain, seat... Well the seat is a good investment, but your current seat wont rust over time

3 minutes ago, vegaquark said:

Hmmm, i would go for headers...
But thats just me.
We could make a pollemoji23.png

1 minute ago, vegaquark said:

Let me explain my vote... PCV with catalytic converter not good, rear shock could be more placebo effect than real gain, seat... Well the seat is a good investment, but your current seat wont rust over time emoji12.png

hmmmm, thx that gives me something to think about.

Do you think it is possible to find a PCIII-USB or PCV and the headers for 500?

that seems a bit tight...

I agree with you concerning the seat, that can wait. It's just that I had to ride for 8h yesterday  and it still hurts :wacko:

Indeed, it's just a matter of patience peeking on craiglist and the like. Ebay, local mc garages or scrapyards.. You name it, but the greatest ingredient for saving money is patience and research.

• Member Contributer

My vote is on suspension.

for this money, you can get a nice rear shock, which is a good down payment on having a well-setup bike, which is a pleasure to ride and ride hard with confidence. 

Next step would be fork improvements (valves, springs) and finally taking it to a tuner to get set up for your weight and riding style. 

Pipes, PCs and other bling won't give you quite as much return on investment.

• Member Contributer

1st re-assess the age and state of your

helmet, leathers/gear

and spend money here.

Then suspension;

calling a (proper) suspension upgrade over OEM a "placebo" is "an opinion" ok? :goofy:

but tell us a bit more about the type and duration of your rides so we can advise you a bit better.....

• Member Contributer

^ agree safety gear 1st

Exhaust system - unless it needs replacing I wouldn't bother just yet (wait for RVFR's header build) as there isn't much in improved performance. However if you are after more/better noise try guttin the stock cans.

And then what Rice said except for last and second last bits should be together ie. take it to a tuner so they can get u set up with right springs valves 

Aside from decent clothing, I'd go for the downpipes, but only if yours are rusty, then a rear shock (not Hagon), then the seat.

Whilst I have one, I wouldn't bother with a PCV - the gains will be marginal. I've only got one because I fitted an Fi engine into my VTEC chassis.

Whereabouts are you in Brittany by the way? I visited Dinan, Dinard, and Saint Goeuno a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Thx everyone for the inputs !

18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

1st re-assess the age and state of your

helmet, leathers/gear

and spend money here.

Then suspension;

calling a (proper) suspension upgrade over OEM a "placebo" is "an opinion" ok? :goofy:

but tell us a bit more about the type and duration of your rides so we can advise you a bit better.....

To be a bit more precise, my riding gear is still in good shape : leather, helmet, gloves, Kevlar jeans and boot -> all OK

My downpipes too.

I already have a TankLock tank bag and Givi V35 side cases and a K&N air filter.

My VFR is my only mean of transportation so I do a bit of everything (under any weather) : commuting, touring and twisties. (+ some occasional duo)

I am currently riding really safe since I still don't know the bike well and I am still a beginner.

so my focus(es) while upgrading the bike are, in order: better handling, smooth input, better sound, comfort and, lastly, performance.

I was mentioning a PC to smooth the bike's response and potentially reduce fuel consumption, not to gain a few ponies (well, that can't hurt).

Coming from a 04 CBF600, I already find the stock VFR shock good. However, I am really interested in anything improving the handling (and thus safety).

Knowing that I am 1,85m tall for ~75Kg what model of shock should I aim for? A CBR 929 one?

Cheers !

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2017 at 7:49 AM, duccmann said:

you fall you will roll in those jeans

Not sure what that means ... Leather is probably the best crash protection but it doesn't defy physics, momentum and how hard the ground is

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I think his point is that tightly fitting leather improves your chances of hitting the tarmac and sliding to a gradual stop, rather than baggy fitting denim which has a tendency to grab the asphalt and cause you to tumble which is generally when you break bones. I used work for a motorcycle clothing store and we worked to that same logic.

• Member Contributer

As previous; safety first - riding kit then tyres/brakes/suspension/lighting then anything else that you want. Doesn't mean you have to spend money in each area, just that those should be where you look first imo.

Are you having any issues with the smoothness of your VFR (hence asking about a PC)? There are a few simple mods that can be done cheaply that will help to smooth out low down throttle response. O2 eliminators are cheap and PAIR removal requires some blanking plates (available on this site). After that, a cleaner exhaust system will aid gas flow and smooth things down too but that can be expensive. You can always remove the snorkel for a that great intake roar too! Did all of this on my 08 VFR and there was no need for a PC, it was butter-smooth on the throttle.

Best of luck.

On 12/08/2017 at 7:48 AM, Skids said:

As previous; safety first - riding kit then tyres/brakes/suspension/lighting then anything else that you want. Doesn't mean you have to spend money in each area, just that those should be where you look first imo.

Are you having any issues with the smoothness of your VFR (hence asking about a PC)? There are a few simple mods that can be done cheaply that will help to smooth out low down throttle response. O2 eliminators are cheap and PAIR removal requires some blanking plates (available on this site). After that, a cleaner exhaust system will aid gas flow and smooth things down too but that can be expensive. You can always remove the snorkel for a that great intake roar too! Did all of this on my 08 VFR and there was no need for a PC, it was butter-smooth on the throttle.

Best of luck.

Thx for the reply,

You are totally right, and I'll first spend my money on tires (PR4 or RS3), some lessons to improve my handling and then suspensions (rear shock + fork springs).

I disconnected the flapper and removed the snorkel for that glorious v4 roar :goofy:

I was thinking of removing the pair system but I am already kind of used to the relative lack of smoothness of the VFR. I will probably wait until I can pay myself a full set (exhaust system + PC + blanking plates).

Just wondering if I should grab a pair of resistors from work to make myself some O2 eliminators...

Other thing is that my helmet is getting kinda old so I might change it but seeing the prices makes me cringe...

Anyway thx for the tips !

:beer:

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't necessarily assume you will need a PC. O2 eliminators, PAIR removal, a good clear exhaust (I had Staintunes fitted) and regular SV balancing kept my 08 VFR very smooth and not in need of the expense of a PC.

1 hour ago, Skids said:

I wouldn't necessarily assume you will need a PC. O2 eliminators, PAIR removal, a good clear exhaust (I had Staintunes fitted) and regular SV balancing kept my 08 VFR very smooth and not in need of the expense of a PC.

My bad, I thought it was more or less necessary to add a PC when modifying too much the admission...

If it is unnecessary, I'll be glad to spend 300€ elsewhere :tongue:

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Coatzin said:

My bad, I thought it was more or less necessary to add a PC when modifying too much the admission...

If it is unnecessary, I'll be glad to spend 300€ elsewhere :tongue:

I certainly did not need a PC on my 08 and she was as smooth as butter in the low rev range. :beer:

Ok thx!!

That was really helpful.

Other question : did you notice a big difference when eliminating the O2 sensors? I might do it this week-end if I find the time

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Coatzin said:

Ok thx!!

That was really helpful.

Other question : did you notice a big difference when eliminating the O2 sensors? I might do it this week-end if I find the time

Not huge by themselves, no. But combined with the other mods my 08 was certainly much better on low throttle settings and far less jerky.

Archived