Argh

Dude so sorry-- sounds as though she was pissed and thought she put it in drive instead of reverse--
Dumb bunny -- stupid bitch is more like it--
I have commissioner Tom Selleck's phone number if you need it.
I joke---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

RT, I can 100% confirm that the tab in question is not broken. Just disassembled mine and it matches.

Awesome, thanks so much for checking.  The thought of disassembling this stuff in my hot, airless, smelly apartment building garage, or doing it outside with no light when I get home at 1am, is understandably unappealing!

Now, to go find boxes big enough to store/ship this stuff.

Ride safe!

-Brad

Sorry to hear, seems like she hit you pretty hard.  Did she hit your bike from the side?  I was just curious how the forks got tweaked and how you know.  Maybe it's obvious.  I wouldn't know how to be sure all that is damaged if I dropped a bike or had it knocked over.  With so many parts, seems like a hard task.

Good luck...

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, 14thumper said:

Sorry to hear, seems like she hit you pretty hard.  Did she hit your bike from the side?  I was just curious how the forks got tweaked and how you know.  Maybe it's obvious.  I wouldn't know how to be sure all that is damaged if I dropped a bike or had it knocked over.  With so many parts, seems like a hard task.

Good luck...

NYC, where we have parallel parking.  I was parked on the side-stand not quite at a right angle with my back wheel to the curb and side cases on.  A perfect right angle would have my front wheel out past the width of parked cars and would present a vulnerability to passing vehicles.  The dumb bunny's Honda Pilot was parked with its back toward the right side of the bike.  The bike was angled so that the front was closer to the SUV than anything else.

Part of that is a survival tactic by the way.  Someone parking gently by braille would feel a mirror or the brake caliper before scraping up plastic.  The caliper and leg is durable and the mirror housings are cheap.

She was backing up pretty hard and fast.  What with around five feet between her car and my bike, the dumb bunny had room to pick up some momentum.  She hit the right side of the bike and sent it past the side-stand onto its left side, hard.  Difficult to tell exactly in the video but good bet the forks took the initial impact.  The tubes and stanchions themselves were actually OK.  Things just got twisted in the triple clamps a bit.

I just let the shop and the adjuster figure out what was damaged and what needed attention.  Too many variables and too much work for me to deal with right now.  I have a lot going on.  The list was pretty long.

Thanks for explaining, makes a lot of sense now.  I really hope this turns out well for you.  I do understand bikes are harder to spot and sometimes we suffer but you mentioned she had just walked past your bike.  Plus, seems like there was enough room for a Smart Car to fit, so she seems pretty dumb.  Well, maybe you don't have Smart Cars like we do in Cali., lucky for you if you don't. lol

On the bright side, you didn't get hurt other than the emotional damage.  We can both toast to that! 

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

Thanks for explaining, makes a lot of sense now.  I really hope this turns out well for you.  I do understand bikes are harder to spot and sometimes we suffer but you mentioned she had just walked past your bike.  Plus, seems like there was enough room for a Smart Car to fit, so she seems pretty dumb.  Well, maybe you don't have Smart Cars like we do in Cali., lucky for you if you don't. lol

On the bright side, you didn't get hurt other than the emotional damage.  We can both toast to that! 

We have Smart cars.

I try to be mindful of practical limitations and people's shortcomings but she's just an incompetent boob.  Too many of those around, unfortunately.

Actually this cost me tons of time and aggravation and at the worst possible time in my life, with my mother going in and out of the hospital and rehab, an uncle landing in the hospital then rehab, and a spouse hospitalized having every possible side-effect from a procedure that should have been totally worry-free, all while I was stuck working weekends and twelve-hour days.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:59 AM, Duc2V4 said:

Normally you would just call on Luca Brasi! :goofy:

Luca, is your 'family' in the olive oil importing business?

My bike was knocked over yesterday by someone who didn't see it through the back window of their SUV. Lucky I bought one with crash protectors all over, and they took all the damage apart from a small scratch to the mirror housing and a footpeg.

I'd never considered before that an SUV with a short driver just wouldn't see it -- or wouldn't check was was behind their car before they reversed it. I'm going to be more careful what I park it behind in future, but there's only so much you can do.

• Member Contributer

I try NEVER to park behind  any vehicle after being reversed into whilst on bike despite hitting horn.  People just don't look properly when reversing.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, HareBrain said:

My bike was knocked over yesterday by someone who didn't see it through the back window of their SUV. Lucky I bought one with crash protectors all over, and they took all the damage apart from a small scratch to the mirror housing and a footpeg.

I'd never considered before that an SUV with a short driver just wouldn't see it -- or wouldn't check was was behind their car before they reversed it. I'm going to be more careful what I park it behind in future, but there's only so much you can do.

Probably a stupid idea but maybe one of these could be deployed when parked to help aid visibility:

https://www.amazon.com/COUNTRY-ENT-12460-TELESCOPIC-SAFETY/dp/B0045L7DSM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4XD3JVFFSJSNPPFGRBD5

I was seated outside for lunch today at a restaurant where I could keep an eye on my bike parked in a very busy lot and I cringed several times as I watched people zoom up to my spot before they noticed my bike was parked in it.  Some sort of telescopic thing that could deploy an orange off-roading flag or maybe one of those Chinese fans a couple feet behind and in front of the bike to help these people see our bike in a parking lot would be nice to have if it could be made small enough to fit under the seat when not it in use.

800px_COLOURBOX5788324.jpg

On 7/19/2017 at 4:40 PM, Rectaltronics said:

We have Smart cars.

I try to be mindful of practical limitations and people's shortcomings but she's just an incompetent boob.  Too many of those around, unfortunately.

Actually this cost me tons of time and aggravation and at the worst possible time in my life, with my mother going in and out of the hospital and rehab, an uncle landing in the hospital then rehab, and a spouse hospitalized having every possible side-effect from a procedure that should have been totally worry-free, all while I was stuck working weekends and twelve-hour days.

Hope the insurance makes it right financially, and your people are healing well. :sleep:

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Probably a stupid idea but maybe one of these could be deployed when parked to help aid visibility:

https://www.amazon.com/COUNTRY-ENT-12460-TELESCOPIC-SAFETY/dp/B0045L7DSM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4XD3JVFFSJSNPPFGRBD5

There's a fellow here, I really need to get a picture of him, he rides a scooter that has what looks like a barber pole on the back, with a bright red light on top of it.

7 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Maybe we have the same stupid brain, because I was on the verge of jokingly suggesting exactly that. However, most SUVs now have parking beepers**, and I think I was unlucky. If it happens again, then maybe it'll be worth the funny looks.

** Not that this always saves you. My car door was reversed into a couple of years back because the SUV driver ignored their beeper -- she couldn't see the sports car through her window so assumed the beeper was faulty!!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Maybe we have the same stupid brain, because I was on the verge of jokingly suggesting exactly that. However, most SUVs now have parking beepers**, and I think I was unlucky. If it happens again, then maybe it'll be worth the funny looks.

** Not that this always saves you. My car door was reversed into a couple of years back because the SUV driver ignored their beeper -- she couldn't see the sports car through her window so assumed the beeper was faulty!!

LOL - another stupid idea I have is to only park your bike behind vehicles with backup cameras - but that would assume that people aren't retarded and actually look at them and it wouldn't help you when they leave and someone with a '76 Bronco parks in their place :tongue:   I don't think Rectal said what year the Pilot was that hit him but I think they've come with backup cameras as standard equipment for a few years now and were probably optional for even longer.  I believe most all new vehicles in the USA are required to have them starting in 2018.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - another stupid idea I have is to only park your bike behind vehicles with backup cameras - but that would assume that people aren't retarded and actually look at them and it wouldn't help you when they leave and someone with a '76 Bronco parks in their place :tongue:   I don't think Rectal said what year the Pilot was that hit him but I think they've come with backup cameras as standard equipment for a few years now and were probably optional for even longer.  I believe most all new vehicles in the USA are required to have them starting in 2018.

That Pilot was a 2003.  Fuggedaboudit!

I always look for signs of backup sensors on the bumpers for some confidence but that's obviously no guarantee.  And yeah, with spot turnover, you never know what's gonna happen.

As for cameras and stuff, honestly, the ONLY time I ever scraped up a car backing into a spot, was a rental with a backup camera.  After a million miles relying on mirrors just fine, the rear camera's POV, and/or maybe its dash placement, just messed me up.

• Member Contributer

Even if u do stop >6 feet back, well to the left, if the truck's left mirror is not consulted prior to reversing...

IMAG4030.thumb.jpg.ff5ebb59f56d9639427d9a1a9e70356e.jpg

Archived