Suspension Upgrade - Decision Made Easy!

Skids

• Member Contributer

I rode a friends 1200F today with a very recent suspension upgrade. Wow, what a difference it makes. The bike feels 50kgs lighter, is easier to steer, soaks up the bumps much better and positioning into and during corners is so much easier. Plus it doesn't always want to steer wide coming out of bends like the stock does.

So I'm going to contact MCT Suspension in Stowmarket and get the Wilbers rear shock, front springs & revalve (plus a couple of other bits my friend mentioned the guy does).

Will post back when it's done. :cheerleader:

Just got mine back from Daugherty Motorsports and took the first ride through some decent roads this weekend. I'm inclined to say that this was the best money I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

I can easily say that having the suspension redone by JD, was by far the best ROI I have into both my VFRs.

Just finished putting Ohlins rear and their 20mm fork kit with stiffer springs what a difference.

Given the power of todays bike motors stock from the factory, the majority of riders simply do not need 'more power'. However, stock suspension usually is pretty crappy compared to what it can be. Investments in suspension usually can do more for riding performance/enjoyment.

Haven't owned a bike yet that couldn't be improved by suspension upgrades. Usually a seat and shield also.

I'll have to do my suspension in stages. On the 1200, which gives you more bang for your buck. Forks or shock?

In my case, riding 2up, an aftermarket shock with stiffer spring was crucial. The only thing I did to the forks was add a stiffer spring. All is well now.

Even though it is agreed that the 1200 forks are undersprung, I still would probably replace the shock first. I like butter pecan ice cream too.

Just got mine back from Daugherty Motorsports and took the first ride through some decent roads this weekend. I'm inclined to say that this was the best money I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

I can easily say that having the suspension redone by JD, was by far the best ROI I have into both my VFRs.

Just wondering what suspension hardware you guys had fitted? I'm looking to do the same and looking for a bit of direction. Cheers GSIG

• Member Contributer

I'll have to do my suspension in stages. On the 1200, which gives you more bang for your buck. Forks or shock?

The forks for me, by a margin.

Which is exactly what the suspension guru at MCT told me. In fact he said that the 1200 they did last week turned out to be such a good one that the rear actually barely needs anything doing to it. I think I'll still get the Wilbers rear fitted though.

Unfortunately, the first open slot they have is mid-Sep.

• Member Contributer

Just wondering what suspension hardware you guys had fitted? I'm looking to do the same and looking for a bit of direction. Cheers GSIG

On my '09 I have an OEM Showa shock off of an ABS model VFR (re: Remote preload adjuster), stock fork legs/sliders with Daugherty Motorsports valves and new springs. I weight ~170 lbs. w/gear but carry different load weights, so I wanted an easy to adjust preload shock and the ABS model shock was a perfect match. I didn't feel the need to upgrade to new forks as I also didn't want to have to de-link the brakes and have a whole other project at hand.

For my '01, I had JD put in adjustable rebound internals, new valves and springs in the stock fork legs/sliders and I found a Penske 8993 rear shock for cheap that I had him redo. Similar to above, I felt fine with the stock forks and didn't feel the need to go with USD or other fork options, the rebound adjustable units are fine for me.

Even though the two bikes are used for different purposes, the '09 for commuting/touring and the '01 for sport/track day riding, he did a spot on job with both. On my 09 I use the rear shock's preload adjuster quite often but rarely touch the forks, although there are times where I probably should have. Once I dialed in the '01, I really haven't touched it, although I'll probably do some "experimenting" if I ever get it to the track, for now it rides just fine.

• Member Contributer

Just finished putting Ohlins rear and their 20mm fork kit with stiffer springs what a difference.

I see Ohlins springs widely available but can't find any Ohlins valving upgrade for the 1200.

Where can the Ohlins forks be acquired?

I just got my VFR1200 and suspension is usually the first thing I do.

• Member Contributer

The forks for me, by a margin.

Which is exactly what the suspension guru at MCT told me. In fact he said that the 1200 they did last week turned out to be such a good one that the rear actually barely needs anything doing to it. I think I'll still get the Wilbers rear fitted though.

Unfortunately, the first open slot they have is mid-Sep.

They know what they are doing then. I did a lot of time evaluating all this. If Ohlins ever comes out with a set of RT's, I'm all in.......

• Member Contributer

Booked for Sep 10 at 1300, ride in, ride out.

What are you referring to when you say "hardware"? Everything on mine is stock aside from the internals in the forks and shock and the shock spring. Is that what you're asking?

• Member Contributer

Booked for July 6, ride in, ride out ;-)

That's good news, so quick. :beer:

I couldn't have taken the earlier slot as we're on holiday in Corfu!

That's good news, so quick. :beer:

I couldn't have taken the earlier slot as we're on holiday in Corfu!

I got really lucky. When I phoned yesterday they'd had a cancellation that morning that just gave enough time to get the shock ordered so I snapped it up. He said he'd just ordered another one, I guess that was yours? The next date was after yours in September but right in the middle of when we're in the South of France on holiday. Not long now!!!

Please, please please let us know how you get on. I need t make a decision one way or the other and you might just be able to help. What are you having done? Are you going Ohlins or something else??

• Member Contributer

Please, please please let us know how you get on. I need t make a decision one way or the other and you might just be able to help. What are you having done? Are you going Ohlins or something else??

It's a Wilbers rear shock plus a virtual rebuild of the interior of the front forks. A m8 of mine had it done recently at MCT and I had a ride last week.....what a difference. It felt more like my 800 than a 1200; lighter steering, quicker & more precise turn-in and it didn't go wide on corner exit.

At £1100 it's not cheap but the result is definitely worth it imo.

The guy at MCT (they do a LOT of race bike setups) said he was really happy with what they did to my m8's bike and he thinks it's the best he's done so far so it will be the "default" recommended solution so if you are considering getting it done, I'd suggest a call to MCT.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Wilbers rear shock plus a virtual rebuild of the interior of the front forks. A m8 of mine had it done recently at MCT and I had a ride last week.....what a difference. It felt more like my 800 than a 1200; lighter steering, quicker & more precise turn-in and it didn't go wide on corner exit.

At £1100 it's not cheap but the result is definitely worth it imo.

The guy at MCT (they do a LOT of race bike setups) said he was really happy with what they did to my m8's bike and he thinks it's the best he's done so far so it will be the "default" recommended solution so if you are considering getting it done, I'd suggest a call to MCT.

My 1200 is booked in with Daren at MCT on the 20th July which was the earliest he could fit me in when I first went beginning of June. I'm getting Ohlins rear shock and forks revalved etc. disappointed that he was'nt able to fit me in before my biking holiday in Spain 2 weeks ago. MCT have done quite a few VFR 1200's now, not sure why they recommend Wilbers to some & Ohlins to others?

Archived