6Th Generation Starting Issue

malecure

2007 Honda VFR 800

The bike quit a few times randomly while riding it. By the time I got to the side of the road it would start right back up

One day when I rode to work:

· No issues on the way in (20 minutes)

· Bike wouldn't run more than 100 yards without quitting after work.

o When it quit the FI light wasn't on

o Cycling the key and kill switch didn't do anything to get the pump to prime. The FI light only flashes as the starter turns the engine over.

o Hitting the start switch the engine would turn over, but never fire

o After letting it sit (~5 minutes) without touching anything the fuel pump would prime and light would come on

o You could then start the bike and ride ~100 yards before it quit again.

o All other electronics seem to be working correctly all the time (electronic speedometer, lights, etc.)

o After loading the bike into the truck and taking it home the FI light won’t come on and the pump won’t prime….even after cooled off.

Since the FI light flashes when hitting the starter, I’d think the fuel pump isn't the problem but rather something is preventing power from getting to the light or pump. What’s a good place to start looking for issues?

• Member Contributer

Sounds like an electrical problem to me. I would recharge your battery and get the rest of the charging system checked out. There are lots of threads on the site to help.

• Member Contributer

My battery connection was loose (just a little bit on one of the terminals) and would cause my '07 RWB to die intermittently. We went through all kinds of hell before we figured out that it was something so stupidly obvious. I was relieved and super pissed at the same time. So I would just check that to be sure.

I experienced a similar issue and I know exactly what you mean by relieved and pissed at the same time. That was me when I finally found it, of course it was after weeks of troubleshooting and head scratching. Mine was a melted main fuse. Not blown, melted. Ended up replacing the holder and the fuse, it is in-line near the battery, 30 amp fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

-Battery is pretty new, but still had it check out today. came back that it's in good condition and has a full charge

-fuses are all functioning correctly

-battery terminals are all clean and tight

-bank sensor, engine stop relay and fuel cut-off relay pass conductivity/voltage checks in haynes book.

-no voltage to the fuel pump (checking at the connector under the tank)

-FI light does NOT come on unless hitting the start switch (it then only flashes). *proves FI light CAN function

-FI light does not flash when jumpering over the service connector to try and pull codes.

-clock, neutral switch, turn signals, high beam and hazard lights all work correctly on the display

-~1.37V drop between black/white wire and ground that are between engine stop relay and fuel-cut off relay

-NO voltage drop between brown/black wire and ground (on any side of any connectors). ECU issue?

-jumpering over the ground (green wires) of the big blue connector (left side of bike) does not change any of the above tests

while it died intermittently at the end of last year, i can't get the fuel pump to prime at all this year.

Any ideas are much appreciated...hate seeing this great weather go to waste.

• Member Contributer

Use this drawing to troubleshoot with . I would start at the fuel pump relay and work backwards checking voltage with the start switch held in .

2008HondaVFR

Roll On ..

P.S. you dont have a PC5 on it do you ?

I had the ground wire from the PC5 to come off of the 08 and the bike just quit.

Roll On ...

haha, looks like the schematic from the haynes manual.

what will holding the start switch down change?

hoping not to fry the starter since the fuel pump should prime before the switch is pressed. (doesn't do this currently)

not sure if it matters...this is bike doesn't have HISS, ABS or the passing switch.

Turned out to be a melted connector under the seat on the 30A fuse (see image attached). Found it by jumpering power to the fuel pump and it working, then continuing upstream until the pump wouldn't prime. After replacing the connector, everything works perfectly.

post-24163-0-39702400-1434903182.jpg

looks like your main fuse connector is also developing heat, better take care of it while there. Once the connectors burn like that one its toast.

the whole key to all the Honda connectors is ensure a good clean mechanical contact and then hit them with wd40, Im well over 110,000 miles , all original connectors. I do this with all my bikes, its not just a Honda thing, they will all do it.

I bought a new stator 6 months ago, assuming the 2nd stator would be close to failure, still sitting on it, it wont fail

• Member Contributer

While you're in there, check the starter relay... remove the ?burgundy? (reddish-brown) connector from the top and make sure that all the spade connectors are good, its a common melt point as well

Archived