Tank Bag For The 1200

• Member Contributer

I use the Joe Rocket small manta tank bag for day trips. all the magnets touch the metal tank

Large enough for repair kit, small water bottle, sunglasses, phone, and nick nacks...but that's about it

• Member Contributer

I have not had a strapped one before, I like the idea of tank lock ones. Twisted throttle has some motech ones that have some attachment to the gas filler cap as well.

• Member Contributer

I don't have a 1200, but if I were looking for a strap on bag, RKA makes some very nice products - they have many options for customizing - and made in the U.S.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/com%20bag%20Build%20sheet/Master%20Accessoires%20Build%20Sheet.html

• Member Contributer

I had a strap-on on my '97 for ten years and it worked great but the straps eventually dulled the finish under them no matter how careful of dirt/debris I was. When I bought my '07 this past fall, 2thdr turned me on to the tanklock bags from Givi and I absolutely love mine. NOTHING touches the paint, one lever removes it in a flash for fueling, and it is constructed of very durable materials. Mounting/dismounting is so much simpler than clips from 3 straps. A+ on the Givi Tanklock!

• Member Contributer

I had a strap-on on my '97 for ten years and it worked great but the straps eventually dulled the finish under them no matter how careful of dirt/debris I was. When I bought my '07 this past fall, 2thdr turned me on to the tanklock bags from Givi and I absolutely love mine. NOTHING touches the paint, one lever removes it in a flash for fueling, and it is constructed of very durable materials. Mounting/dismounting is so much simpler than clips from 3 straps. A+ on the Givi Tanklock!

Funny that I have done thousands of miles with the Honda tank bag on my VFR, and no dull or paint issues.

• Member Contributer

Funny that I have done thousands of miles with the Honda tank bag on my VFR, and no dull or paint issues.

Like everything else, it's a personal choice. Mine wasn't eating into the paint so much as dulling the clear coat in areas under the straps. From some angles, you couldn't see it - from others, it was obvious that something had been contacting the surface. I think after using the same bag for 10 years, it would be almost impossible NOT to eventually wear the surface at some point. I think rubbing something as soft as facial tissue on one point long enough would do the same.

I just prefer the Givi that has ZERO contact at all. :tour:

I have several tankbags, one of the two magnetic ones will work - but is small enough to be just for day rides. Doesn't carry much.

Surprisingly my favorite tankbag, a Wolfman Rainier (straps), works really well on the VFR.

P1030826_zps1aea987f.jpg

• Member Contributer

Givi Tanklock, if its available for your bike is absolutely the way to go. Simply an excellent product. NO scratches, and best convenience.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a Givi Tanklock flange kit and bag for the beast. I use a tank bag a lot around town, and really like to have handy stuff in there when touring.

Good to know the magnetic tankbags work well on the VFR1200. I would've thought the plastic tank side covers would pose problems.

I have a Marsee tank bag with tank lock system. Had it on my '03 and the bolt pattern is the same on the 2013 :biggrin: . So I plunked it on.

Was very happy with it on the '03 and expect I will be with it on the new bike. Thinking about lectrafying it.

Has anyone done this with their tank bag??

post-14675-0-71351600-1371484183.jpg

Archived