Reg/rec original.

VFRBIKE

• Member Contributer

How many KMs on the bike? Have you tested the stator?

If that is an original R/R I would replace it with something from Roadstercycle with the kit that bypasses the stock wiring.. He has a couple different choices based on how you use the bike.

I would also recommend a headlight wiring kit from Eastern Beaver to take additional current load off the stock wiring.

• Member Contributer

That is the OEM reg/rec, and yes, it it worth changing now--even if it is functioning properly.  Honda now sells an upgraded version, but you can replace it with other options, such as a MOSFET or a series reg/rec.

Ciao,

JZH

Mine had a newer stock unit in place when I bought the bike and after reading the forums I decided to change it before it failed again.

I found a Chinese knock-off FH020AA  for cheap from a USA seller with a good rep and who had sold loads and loads of them.  I figured they must work or the seller would have a list of complaints as long as my arm.  Well it lasted one ride to work, or part of one, and shorted internally, got really hot, dragged the voltage down.  The bike still ran and while riding made enough voltage to get home and the knock-off reg didn't melt anything. 

I got a partial refund since I kept the (acceptable quality) harness and bought a used FZ-07 regulator off ebay and that's worked well.  Just swapped for the shunted regulator, nothing rewired.

I wired the replacement to the bike's harness with an old regulator harness but I also added an extra ground to the frame local to the regulator and an extra fused power straight to the battery.  I also added a fused trickle charger SAE plug to the bike at the same time.  There is one small wire in the OEM harness I forget what you need to do with (ground or no connection?) the rest are 3 obvious AC inputs and power or ground outputs.

The new regulator is bolted where the old one was (had to drill one hole I think) and runs cool with no fan or anything.  All's well many miles later.  Lots of newer bikes have these better voltage regulators and used ones are $30-ish on Ebay.  A wiring harness should be available there as well for a few bucks.

Cheers, -Joel.

• Member Contributer
On 9/27/2019 at 1:59 PM, VFRBIKE said:

Thank you for all the replies, that's been very helpful 😊

In your spot, the first thing I would do is a quick check of the charging system.  You need to buy a multmeter if you havent already. 

Search for thread called "the drill"

Then assuming every thing is fine today, I would add a voltmeter up front on the bike to watch waht is going on with the trend of your system.

Quick example..

assembled-S.jpg

Then there has been a high fall out of the OEM R/Rs on 5th gens.... many here will vouch for that. But when it is time for replacement, I vote get a high quality new Shindengen - either the FH020aa or SH847aa from Roadster Cycle.... The later is phyisically larger and more of a challenge to mount up. .

www.roadstercyclec.om

The above information will make you dangerous and get you going. 

Congrats on your 5th gen

Cheers

:beer:

Archived