2003 just shut off

mneal

• Member Contributer

I have a 2003 with 22k miles and today as I was riding home stopped at a stop sigh and as I pulled out it just shut off.  FI light flashes when I crank it.  I added a volt meter a couple years ago and it dark with key one and fuel pump doesn't cycle.  What's weird is the vokt meter shoes 10.? When cranking.    Either way the voltage was little low when I was riding but I was in a lot of stop and go traffic and fan was running but never saw it below like 12.x. At idle and always nearly 14 when revved.  

Sorry for your issues. Has the front sub harness Recall been performed?

If not could be the common ground issue, see Blue connector Fix in 6th gen repairs.

Perform basic charging system check and battery charge to start.

BR

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Sorry for your issues. Has the front sub harness Recall been performed?

If not could be the common ground issue, see Blue connector Fix in 6th gen repairs.

Perform basic charging system check and battery charge to start.

BR

The sub harness was done when bike was fairly new by the original owner.  I added a VFRness to bike about 2 yrs ago. The voltage has been slowly creeping doen and I check stator ac voltage output about 6 months ago and was ok.  Since battery didn't go dead till it stopped (still cranks) that eliminates star right?    Maybe bank sensor? 

9 hours ago, mneal said:

The sub harness was done when bike was fairly new by the original owner.  I added a VFRness to bike about 2 yrs ago. The voltage has been slowly creeping doen and I check stator ac voltage output about 6 months ago and was ok.  Since battery didn't go dead till it stopped (still cranks) that eliminates star right?    Maybe bank sensor? 

I suggest that you basically start over again. Fully charge the battery and it and the charging circuit and see what numbers you get at idle & 5k rpm. can't really eliminate anything until then.

Do you have any type of Power Commander? If so unplug it first and test run condition. 

Good luck. :beer:

• Member Contributer

So got a chance to trouble shoot it this morning.  The main 20amp fuse by battery was toast.  Honestly I do t recall why it was a 20 and not 30.  Maybe did that when I added the VFRness back years ago?   Anyhow  looks like it got hot at terminal (see photo).  Maybe poor connection and built up heat. 

image.jpg

• Member Contributer

Your VFRness will have 2  20 amp fuses replacing the single 30 amp.  It would be good to locate the other 20 amp and check its condition.  Some Oxgard on the connectors and fuses can help head this off. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:02 AM, Cogswell said:

Your VFRness will have 2  20 amp fuses replacing the single 30 amp.  It would be good to locate the other 20 amp and check its condition.  Some Oxgard on the connectors and fuses can help head this off. 

Dumb Question... what's a "VFRness"?

Archived