Stator source and headlight removal.

Magoo

• Member Contributer

I truly dread asking these questions but I've searched and searched and don't see clear and simple answers.

Are you all replacing your fried stators with OEM or is there an improved aftermarket available?

And while I'm reading about not needing to remove front cowl to remove headlight, I can barely squeeze my fingers in there.  Is there some sort of retaining clip somewhere?  I can't see shit as it's a bad angle and am ready to use excessive force.

Thanks in advance!

Be advised that Honda used physically different sized Stator coils.

Stator creation tech is as old as ac/dc so after seeing the price of a new OEM  coil that will just simply work with no stuffing about I used the Chinese option at a fraction of the price.

The trouble is that the Chinese don't know how to use a ruler and the wiring  was a bit long. Easy to adjust but you need to know it was problem before you put it back together.

Combined with a Chinese MOSFET regulator and a newly installed VOLT METER , only time will tell if its a good solution but for now its 14.8 Volts all day everyday

cheers

• Member Contributer

The headlight electrical plugs should just yank off the bulb terminals, then you can remove the rubber boot. There is a retaining clip on the headlight bulbs that holds these into the reflector, should be a projecting loop on the clip that you push in and move slightly counterclockwise to unhook it, then the clip should swing clear and the bulb will now be free. Useful pics here:

http://www.yzf600r-usa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=56071

• Member Contributer

Thank you both!

Great pics, Terry.  While I can't see a damn thing atleast I'll know what I'm stabbing blindly at.

• Member Contributer

To my recollection, the Honda OE stator is made by Hitachi.  No warranty, but I have used two in two different motorcycles, and averaged about 70,000 miles service life.  I personally would avoid Electrosport stators.  One bad experience,,, failed within 10,000 miles.  The headlight standard H4 bulb will fit, but you have to bend one of the tabs over before it will fit.  I have used these with success for many years.   Jeff  J.

• Member Contributer

Looked like an "ND" on someone's 3rd-gen stator pic I saw today.  That would be Nippon Denso, I think. 

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

On my 5th gen, the bulb plugs have a clip that you need to press in to be able to remove them from the bulbs. 

Found out the first time when I pulled and pulled and could not get it to budge. 

From memory its on the right side of the connector, but could be the top. 

Ill check and let you know. 

As as far as the stator, go genuine, it's the best option. Check Partzilla for price. 

• Member Contributer

Yep, on mine I have to press in the two sides of the connector for it to let go of the bulb.

Otherwise there is clips that hold it in place and won't let go.

Archived