oil comming from air intake

As the title said, I've got oil comming from a cylinder by the air intake. It is from the rear-right cylinder. My bike only have 33 000km, I've bought the bike this winter so havent look at that.

I don't exactly know when was the last oil change, I'll do it the week. The oil level seems a bit high to me, on the sidestand, it's about a 1/4 more than the max level. Can that be the only reason? (I suppose "no" is the answer)

I've done 200km before looking at it, most of that, at low temperature (near zero) and engine did not have plenty of time to get hot (I know I know... that's not good but I didn't have other choice). I'll look at it again tomorrow to see if there is more oil spill in the air filter since I've done 400km today.

Is this something that appen often on those bike? What can I do to correct that? 

I know I must change the air filter since it's full of oil... what am I better to buy?

2016-05-10 13.20.48_2.jpg

Other question just to be sure. Is it normal that between a 16t and 15t sprocket there is so much a big difference for tooth size?

2016-05-10 12.15.32_2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Don't check the oil level on the sidestand, the bike has to be on the centrestand. Leave the bike to sit for a few minutes to allow oil to drain back from the cams etc before checking.

A bit of oil mist in the airbox is normal, but lots of oil is not, maybe because it is overfilled?

4 hours ago, Terry said:

Don't check the oil level on the sidestand, the bike has to be on the centrestand. Leave the bike to sit for a few minutes to allow oil to drain back from the cams etc before checking.

A bit of oil mist in the airbox is normal, but lots of oil is not, maybe because it is overfilled?

That's what I hope... On center stand, the window is completely full.

But if it is really what cause that oil spill, there should be oil coming from every cylinder, no? 

• Member Contributer

Rather than "oil coming from every cylinder" I reckon the oil mist comes from the breather tube that flows into the airbox.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-4853-13MCW2E1-VFR8004-2004-F__2100-VFR+800.html

part #4
Capture.JPG

A bit of oil mist in the box is fine but if your airfilter (picture?) is soaked then that is not good.

Not owning a 6th gen (but a 4th gen that has no glass but a dipstick only) I cannot tell you what level you should see (with the bike on its centre stand on a level plain)

• Member Contributer

Way too much oil mate.

That hole next to the velocity stack is your crankcase breather, too much oil will make it come out of there.

Drain some out and you should be fine.

• Member Contributer

just use a length of flexible clear tubing and "suck up" oil (stop before it hits your mouth)
Finger on top, put bottom end in container, release finger.

Repeat.

Thanks Guys! 
Since I didn't know when was the last oil change, I've done it completly. I'll take a look at the air filter to see if there is more oil spilled in the filter after a long ride. I'll change it by the same time. 

I'll keep upto date to tell if it was only that! 

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2016 at 0:56 AM, Terry said:

The manual says to check the oil after letting it idle for 2-3 minutes. No mention of waiting any amount of time.

• Member Contributer

My manual must be different to yours, slowbird:

Archived