Jashue

31 minutes ago, lshark said:

the 1200 doesn't have a rear axle to make hollow

So what do you call the thing the wheel spins around? :tongue:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BiKenG said:

I completely disagree with that. I NEVER want a main stand on any bike I'm riding and don't see why I should have to pay for something I would simply have to take off.

Having said that, I did buy a main stand for my VFR1200, just for maintenance. Put it on when I need and then take it off before riding. It's a relatively cheap and very effective way of supporting the bike while working on it. But if Honda had designed a hollow rear axle, we could have used a rear paddock stand, like other SSSA bikes. Now that I think WAS dumb.

But I cannot criticise Honda for supplying any bike without a centre stand. That's the way it should be.

Depends on what you use the bike for.  The VFR1200 can be different bikes to different riders.  If mine is used mostly as a gentleman's sportbike and rarely venture very far from home base, I can live without a CS, just like other sportbikes I've owned.  However, if there is to be any touring intentions, the bike needs a center stand IMO.  I sure was glad I had a CS when my rear tire decided to smoke a cigar towards the tail end of a 900 mile road trip.

VFR1200 tire.jpg

i've always liked a center stand...feels more secure to me, on most surfaces.....i use it 99% of the time

16 hours ago, lshark said:

i've always liked a center stand...feels more secure to me, on most surfaces.....i use it 99% of the time

Well that's not actually the case. There is more weight on the centre stand than a side stand so it is more likely to sink into a soft surface. But as I said, there is a valid use of a centre stand and we can all make our own decisions about what feels 'right'. What I disagree with is the belief that Honda somehow shortchanged us by not fitting one on the VFR. BMW cars have very few extras as standard so a buyer gets to choose what they do want and not get saddled with stuff they don't want. I cannot fault the logic of that. Likewise with the VFR.

16 hours ago, lshark said:

(9) Flange, final gear side ....(5) Gear set Final....idk, you tell me.......but no, no axle

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2012/VFR1200F+AC/FINAL+DRIVEN+GEAR/parts.html

Well yes indeed, as you have taken all the time to research, there is no actual part Honda designate as the 'axle', but logically, the part at the centre of the wheel around which it rotates would be thought of as the axle. 

I don't wish to argue the semantics of this, you knew what I meant. Why be so argumentative.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a set of PR4's put on.  Since my wife and I ride the big girl primarily two up for touring, I went with the PR4 GTs.  We're headed up to the VA mountains this week, and I look forward to putting some miles on them...

Since I wear out the fronts quite a bit faster than the rears on the big girl, I'm thinking about PR4 GT up from and the standard PR4 in the back.  Can I mix and match these tires?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Since I wear out the fronts quite a bit faster than the rears on the big girl, I'm thinking about PR4 GT up from and the standard PR4 in the back.  Can I mix and match these tires?

I think the compounds are the same but the GT has a stiffer sidewall so you may just hurt the ride quality without any wear benefits.

29 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I think the compounds are the same but the GT has a stiffer sidewall so you may just hurt the ride quality without any wear benefits.

Good call... I guess it's just the price to pay for amazing brakes. 

GT is for load handling, not mileage.  That said... if you do load your bike down with passenger and lots of gear, going with a GT tire will probably gets you a bit better tread life.  The stiffer carcass will deform less under load, so it'll heats up less and wear better at more ideal tire temps.

If you go to Michelin's tire selector: http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tire-selector#s=0  they "recommend" their Power SuperSport, which is - in their own word: All-new dual compound track day tire.  I enjoy riding my VFR1200F in a spirited manner, but I am not going to slap track hoops on that puppy, thank you very much.

You will have to excuse me for taking their "recommendation" with a boulder-size grain of salt.

I understand the differences between mfrs' regular ST tires and their reinforced sidewall versions (GT, spec-A, etc.), as well as their intended uses.  And I'm comfortable making tire selection based on that.

well naturally you know more than the engineers at Michelin who designed and tested the tires.....buy what you want

Yap, I'm sure those Michelin engineers tested EVERY one of their tires on EVERY bike on their Tire Selection Guide... extensively. :goofy:

I just moved from Mich PP 2ct (6k+mi)

to a set of Stones T30 evo GT's. 

Scrubbed in on the recent Sierra Pass run and they felt great! I'm expecting to get 

7k from these. Time will tell. 

image.jpeg

Michelin used the VFR1200F to develop the Pilot Road 2....there used to be videos on their website of the bike on their test track,...i wish i had saved them

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I replaced the OEM Dunlops - which were hideous - with the Bridgestone T30 GT's. Love them.

They are very confidence-inspiring, stick predictably, and seem to be quite long wearing, though front is noticeably going faster than rear. I have 4300 miles on the pair and they still look and ride fairly new.

On the other topic, I put a center stand on the bike shortly after I got it (w/ 666 miles on it and 4 years old), and in conjunction with an inexpensive front stand (from Revzilla, iirc) it makes removing both wheels simultaneously, not to mention draining every drop of oil, a piece of cake. It's virtually the only mod I've made. Of course I never see any other 1200's on the road, so I've got little to compare it to.

I have PR4 GT's on my ST1300, and a set of T30's (non-"Evo") on my VFR800 and I have no issues with either tire. I've been quite happy with both. I agree with the video above that at today's level as long as you go with a reputable manufacturer you can't go wrong - anything after that comes down to personal preference or price. I don't have a personal preference so for me it comes down to price. The rear PR4 on the ST1300 recently needed to be replaced and I initially was going to replace it with the same,  given I was happy with them and the owners forum has a tendency to gush about them - that was until (here in Canada) the Michelin was $80 more expensive compared to the Bridgestone. Even if you consider it a better tire,  to me it's not "30% additional cost" better. I'm hoping to purchase a VFR1200  to upgrade from my 800 within the week and it needs a new front as well - for me it'll be the T30 Evo for that application as well. 

A friend of mine has a 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050, he only has 5,000 miles, obviously not a daily rider. Depending on how much you ride, look for the freshest/newest you can get hold of, rubber degrades over time.

Archived