Rear Wheel Not Spinning Freely...

Shooter

My rear wheel does not seem to spin freely when on centerstand. It takes a good bit of effort. If I give it a roll (with a good bit of effort) it quickly quits spinning. It will stop within a quarter turn. It is not the brakes dragging.I took the caliper off and same thing happens. I just replaced the brake pads and bled the system, like I said, its definitely not the brakes. About 6 months ago I changed the the sprocket and chain.

When riding, it seems fine. Accelerates well, brakes fine, no vibrations or anything out of the norm.

I'm thinking a bad bearing, but there are quite a few bearings in there.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or where I should start looking? I'd rather not start spending a lot of money chasing demons.

• Member Contributer

how is the chain tension, a too tight of a chain could cause this issue. pull the rear sprocket off and try again. isolate the problem to the rear wheel.

• Member Contributer

Sounds sort of normal. Depends on what chain you have an )-ring type will generally stop the wheel in a half turn. The wheel will only free wheel like the front when there is NO chain on it, the chain has to turn & that in turn turns the gearbox output shaft & half the gear cluster, all of which takes some effort !

• Member Contributer

I'll second Mohawk's post. Your rear wheel is connected to a lot of things that will slow its spin. I get about 1/2 turn at most. The front has a bit of a drag on it as well. They just won't "free wheel" like something with unrestricted bearings.

• Member Contributer

Interesting post. My VTR1000 back wheel spins much easier than my VFR, both on new chains and the same level of maintenance. Most likely bearing or brake drag for me I think. I've not been able to disassemble the rear hub to check the bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived