Quoting Posts

fink

• Member Contributer

I don't know how others feel about this but it really bugs my tits to see a page of repost after repost especially if it is a long post or picture heavy.

If your going to quote something could you only quote the bit you want instead of the whole post or even just reply instead if you don't need to quote.

I don't know how others feel about this but it really bugs my tits to see a page of repost after repost especially if it is a long post or picture heavy.

If your going to quote something could you only quote the bit you want instead of the whole post or even just reply instead if you don't need to quote.

What?

LOL he means that people keep hitting the quote button and continue to build a gigantic mound of quotes throughout a thread, until it makes you want to spontaneously explode when trying to read it. Most of the quoting is unnecessary as people tend to go to the bottom of a post to look at only the new reply anyway.

I know that not everyone is PC savvy and encourage people to spend a little bit of time playing around and learning how the quoting system works. Use the first button in the editor to toggle to plain text, and you'll see that every quote has an opening tag where it shows the user and post number, and a generic closing tag. When the re-quoted text becomes overbearing and has many quotes from many people, I might copy the opening tag to the clipboard, then paste it in an empty section, copy/paste a small part of a quote, then type out the ending tag. Then I delete the monstrosity of prior quoting.

Yes, removing the pictures is a good idea too. You only need to re-post a picture if you are referring to it and you think that others may not know which picture you are talking about. If you see the picture in your reply you can click on it and delete it. If you are in plain text mode then you'll see a line with an image tag, and you can delete that link to remove the picture. The link for a picture appears like this:: [img=http:/......

If you have challenges with posting, mention it here and people will certainly help you out.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't stress me out. I have bigger things to be concerned with.

• Member Contributer

Kind of a pisser when you have limited internet access and it's a page of the same stuff with a sentence added on.

• Member Contributer

Kind of a pisser when you have limited internet access and it's a page of the same stuff with a sentence added on.

Your web browser won't re-download the same image every time it appears on a page or even the web site. It will display subsequent uses from a cache on the device you're using unless you've gone out of your way to change that setting for some bizarre reason.

If someone has an older device, for example like my iPhone 4, the limiting factor is the processing power for rendering the page. These forums take forever to render on my iPhone 4, even on hi-speed wifi. There is always someone behind on technology.

Not just for this reason but for general courtesy and respect people should use good form when participating online.

Unfortunately, modern society is extremely narcissistic. They jump in a forum or group or job and do whatever they want, ignoring all tenets of decent human behavior. How unfortunate that this has become so common.

People should use good practice here. No one needs a reason to promote "good practice." People should strive to be better, to learn, to do things correctly, because that is what us humans are supposed to do. We are not to spend our life repeating the same bad practices in perpetuity. Ironically, much of the motorcycling community who never learns to ride exudes this same awful behavior.

In conclusion, this idea has great value and we should promote that new Internet and forums users use best practice, and continue to teach them what that means.

• Member Contributer

Agreed that is the point I was trying to make. At times load up speed reminds me of the old dial up speed. Lol.

Archived