Problem

jekrumpe

2010 w/46k, DAM exhaust, no other mods. Cruising along at about 30MPH yesterday and the bike died. Hit the starter and she fired right up again. Going to work today--65MPH same thing, except it would not start right back up. Pulled to the side and she started. Both times this happened shortly after I started riding. Both times I rode another 15 min or so without issue. Any ideas where to start looking???

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Bad, or mal-adjusted kickstand switch, bad kill switch, bad tip-over switch, bad ignition switch. Those are the easiest ways to kill the engine while it is running. Eliminate the easy/obvious stuff first.

Knight - you type faster than I do...................

Bad, or mal-adjusted kickstand switch, bad kill switch, bad tip-over switch, bad ignition switch. Those are the easiest ways to kill the engine while it is running. Eliminate the easy/obvious stuff first.

Knight - you type faster than I do...................

My timezone gives me an unfair advantage. It has to do with wormhole theory I think.

I agree with the above gentleman. I would also check the battery cables as well, when loose they can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms

Good point. Jekrumpe did you just start riding for he season, aka just installed the battery? Or perhaps you ride year round given the high mileage?

Ride all year and have a lithium ion battery, so I don't think that is the issue. Broke down on the side of the road going home last night and she would not start at all. So, no opportunity to check any of your ideas. Nice guy on a Harley stopped, went and got his trailer and hauled me in to the dealer! Hope to know more soon.

• Member Contributer

OP - when you say the bike died, was it just the engine that cut out or did all the electrics go off as well?

• Member Contributer

Sorry your bike died on you. The plus side is now it should be easier to find the problem since it is constant, as opposed to intermittent.

OP - when you say the bike died, was it just the engine that cut out or did all the electrics go off as well?

Just the engine died. Hopefully I'll be able to let everyone know what it is soon.

I am sorry to hear about you being stranded but more than glad to hear that you met nice people and that you are safe and sound.

So true. Real nice to know there are good people out there ready to help a fellow rider. I will look for ways to do likewise.

Well, the dealer (Cupis Motor Mall in Pekin, IL) kept it a week. Never bothered to call me. I called 4 times and always got the excuse that they were busy. Today they told me to just pick up the bike! The service manager is leaving to have surgery and they can't get to it. Here I am a week away from my big trip to Austin for MotoGP, already have the tickets and reservations etc and can't even get someone to tell me what is wrong with the bike!

• Member Contributer

Well, the dealer (Cupis Motor Mall in Pekin, IL) kept it a week. Never bothered to call me. I called 4 times and always got the excuse that they were busy. Today they told me to just pick up the bike! The service manager is leaving to have surgery and they can't get to it. Here I am a week away from my big trip to Austin for MotoGP, already have the tickets and reservations etc and can't even get someone to tell me what is wrong with the bike!

That SUCKS. Check your kill switch. I had similar issues, some dielectric grease on the contact fixed it right up. Especially if you ride year round in all weather.

• Member Contributer

Does it still not start? Take it somewhere else if you don't have the skills to diagnose. Place you dealt with sucks.

I know you said that you have a Lithium battery but I would honestly check the connections if you have not and I would then try a regular battery as well. There was just another thread on here about a bike not starting and what do you know, it was the battery connection. Just saying...........

• Member Contributer

I know you said that you have a Lithium battery but I would honestly check the connections if you have not and I would then try a regular battery as well. There was just another thread on here about a bike not starting and what do you know, it was the battery connection. Just saying...........

good suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the second dealer dicked around with it until the night before I needed it, but finally got it fixed. Electrical relay for the fuel pump. $8 part and 4 hours to diagnose it! On the trip home the low beam headlight went out (at night!). Fuckin thing is just falling apart!

Question: Have you ever had a gas tank vacuum problem? AKA you open the gas cap and it is difficult to open, then you get that sucking sound? I am trying to make a logical leap other than it wore out naturally in 6 years which seems a little short.

Question: Have you ever had a gas tank vacuum problem? AKA you open the gas cap and it is difficult to open, then you get that sucking sound? I am trying to make a logical leap other than it wore out naturally in 6 years which seems a little short.

No such problems. I agree this should not have happened.

No such problems. I agree this should not have happened.

Forgot to add....I bought the bike in 2012, so it lasted only 4 years!!

Did you buy it new / leftover?

yes, new leftover with zero miles.

It is beginning to sound like this is the proverbial vehicle built late on a Friday. Odd for a Honda though.

I do try to think positively. Get that light issue fixed (did they put their gum in the switch just before clocking out of the plant?) then you'll be good to go with just oil changes for a few years :)

• Member Contributer

Did you buy it new / leftover?

yes, new leftover with zero miles.

It is beginning to sound like this is the proverbial vehicle built late on a Friday. Odd for a Honda though.

I do try to think positively. Get that light issue fixed (did they put their gum in the switch just before clocking out of the plant?) then you'll be good to go with just oil changes for a few years :)

That's not a Honda manufacturing issue. The two failures are parts that they contracted. A "Friday" or "Monday" issue would be loose bolts/nuts, poor fitments, cross threading, loose wiring, dropping something in a head or fuel tank and leaving it, etc. Sounds like bad luck that the fuel relay and the headlight went out close to each other, unless there is an electrical issue hidden somewhere that exposed the weak components.

Archived