Power\idle Rpm Changes All The Time

hawara

Hi all.

Could anyone help me with another issue with my 2009 VFR800?

The bike's 'behaviour' changes all the time, at times it feels like a super awesome smooth motorcycle, lots of power, but then it changes - the bike would become rough, powerless, would hesitate accelerating and while passing 2500-3000rpm would vibrate and make 'almost stalling' sounds.

Also, the cold idle rpm is different between starts, and if it starts with lower rpm it would ride bad. When the bike gets hot, the rpm corrects itself to whatever I set the last time, but the issues would not go away.

Another thing is - it seems there's some hesitation between cylinders fire, after every several successful fires, like that - *, *, *, *, slight delay, *, *, *, *, *, slight delay, etc....

The number of ok fires seems to be four-something.

It also sounds like the bike is backfiring at idle from one of the exhausts.

It's very difficult for me to explain this properly due to gaps in my english, sorry.

This whole issue drives me crazy, because its so inconsistent and at times the bike is great, but when it's in a 'bad mood' I really want to get rid of it the bike.

It's been like that since I bought it, and all the stuff I did never really helped, but things like PC5 improved the situation for a while, but it seems its getting worse after time.

The bike has -

- O2 Eliminators

- PC5 (Dynojet's fuel map for LeoVince Exhaust)

- LeoVince Exhaust

- PAIR hose blocked

I also had the spark plugs changed at 15000 kms, its 20 000 kms now.

• Member Contributer

Might be helpful if you can post a video.

Any chance there are contaminants / water in the fuel or possibly clogged injector(s)?

• Member Contributer

I have never felt that on my own bike, but I have a buddy with a 04 complains about he exact same thing, his is stock besides some staintune cans. he narrowed it down to gas, he can be having a good day then get gas and it will run like shit until the next fill up at a different station. I forget what stations he avoids now but when ever he has to get gas at one he complains about it till its gone.

The uneven idle could be that the firing of the cylinders is not even. ie 0 deg then 180 deg then another 270 deg then 90 deg for a full 360 cycle. That gives an uneven idle. My bike was recently popping in the exhaust at idle and the only thing I changed was balancing the starter valves. I used to use a Morgan Carbtune that is now over 10 years old and was showing signs of inconsistency so I bought a Twinmax and set them with that, what a difference in the idle and holding the rpm at say 2000, like night and day, now no longer popping in exhaust at idle.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

My money would be on a wax unit fault. You say the cold start idle speed varies, that is controlled by the wax unit, which (should) hold the starter valves open when cold, and close them when the engine warms. I would check that is working properly first, maybe try lubing the linkages. After that I would carefully balance the starter valves.

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle troubleshooting is a form of problem solving... It is a
logical search for the source of a problem so that it can be solved...
it ain't about jumping to 10 conclusions at once... always eliminate
the battery first... because you find that 90% of the time it proves
to be the weakest link of your bike... and so much depends on correct
voltage that it's pays to have your battery tended to a charger at all
times...

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

Archived