Waterless Coolant

Auspanglish

• Member Contributer

A 50:50 mix actually boils at a higher temperature that either water or anti-freeze alone... This statement is correct, right?

No, that would be a high boiling azeotrope. When boiling point of the mixture is either below or above that of both substances alone, then separation becomes difficult and is by definition an azeotrope.

Boiling points of water:

Atmospheric - ~100 degC

@ 14.6 psig - ~120 degC

Boiling point of ethylene glycol

Atmospheric - ~197 degC

@ 14.6 psig - ~224 degC

Edit:

We don't use ethylene glycol directly for a couple reasons - higher viscosity than water, lower thermal conductivity, and lower specific heat. Water alone would be better choice if we didn't need to worry about freezing. The main benefit of using the mixture is the freezing point depression but most automotive coolant formulas also have the added benefits of improved lubrication, corrosion resistance, reduced surface tension, and contaminant "holding".

• Member Contributer

My view, which has nothing to do with chemistry, is that when somebody selling something uses an inapplicable comparison (e.g., compares coolant to water that is not contained in a pressurised cooling system, compares its high-tech battery with a conventional lead-acid battery type no one uses anymore, uses a silly animated graphic showing forks bulging without a fork brace, etc.), they're engaging in hype. It's a huge turn-off for me, and undermines the credibility of whatever they're saying. If the actual product is that good, everyone will know soon enough. Which was why I mentioned that Evans Waterless Coolant has been around for ages...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

A 50:50 mix actually boils at a higher temperature that either water or anti-freeze alone... This statement is correct, right?

No, that would be a high boiling azeotrope. When boiling point of the mixture is either below or above that of both substances alone, then separation becomes difficult and is by definition an azeotrope.

Boiling points of water:

Atmospheric - ~100 degC

@ 14.6 psig - ~120 degC

Boiling point of ethylene glycol

Atmospheric - ~197 degC

@ 14.6 psig - ~224 degC

Edit:

We don't use ethylene glycol directly for a couple reasons - higher viscosity than water, lower thermal conductivity, and lower specific heat. Water alone would be better choice if we didn't need to worry about freezing. The main benefit of using the mixture is the freezing point depression but most automotive coolant formulas also have the added benefits of improved lubrication, corrosion resistance, reduced surface tension, and contaminant "holding".

Great info Doc... Ethylene glycol is a major ingredient of most anti-freeze but not the only one, what's the boiling point of a 50:50 mix of an approved anti-freeze and distiiled water? I remember a graphic on the back of an anti-freeze bottle that showed the boiling point of the different mixture ratios with the peak at 50:50.

...maybe I have it backwards and it was showing the freezing point depression was greatest at 50:50, it is called anti-freeze after all :goofy:

Based on your info the Eth glycol actually boils at a higher temp then the waterless coolant...

• Member Contributer

Great info Doc... Ethylene glycol is a major ingredient of most anti-freeze but not the only one, what's the boiling point of a 50:50 mix of an approved anti-freeze and distiiled water? I remember a graphic on the back of an anti-freeze bottle that showed the boiling point of the different mixture ratios with the peak at 50:50.

...maybe I have it backwards and it was showing the freezing point depression was greatest at 50:50, it is called anti-freeze after all :goofy:

Based on your info the Eth glycol actually boils at a higher temp then the waterless coolant...

On the freezing point side:

% Ethylene Glycol : Temp

0%: 0 degC

40%: -23.5 degC

50%: -36.8 degC

60%: -52.8 degC

100%: -12.9 degC

The lowest point is around 70% ethylene glycol.

There will be some very minor variation in this because, as you stated, automotive coolant is not pure eth glycol. Additionally, other glycols are often mixed with ethylene glycol or completely replace it in some formulas. Propylene glycol is common and it has roughly similar freezing point performance as ethylene glycol, with greatly reduced toxicity.

• Member Contributer

Two different brands of Honda compatible anti-freeze in my garage (Zerex & Prestone) both state the 50:50 boiling point as 265F (129C). The Zerex further clarified in the fine print that this temp is in a system with a 15 psi radiator cap... based on this data the 50:50 mix boils at 17F (9C) higher than 100% water within the pressurized cooling system.

• Member Contributer

Two different brands of Honda compatible anti-freeze in my garage (Zerex & Prestone) both state the 50:50 boiling point as 265F (129C). The Zerex further clarified in the fine print that this temp is in a system with a 15 psi radiator cap... based on this data the 50:50 mix boils at 17F (9C) higher than 100% water within the pressurized cooling system.

Sorry, forgot you asked this too. Yes, that number (129 degC) agrees with my data as well (pure EG and H2O) at 1 atm (14.6 psig). At atmospheric, 50/50 boils at about 108 degC. There is no peak on the boiling point curve, it is roughly a parabolic curve with minimum of 120C at 0% to 224C at 100% EG.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If water is so wonderful and waterless is so bad why does our bikes have an oil cooler. Just saying

Because oil goes places that water, or antifreeze, or waterless coolant can't... and one of the many functions of oil is the transfer heat away from critical components.

... just saying.

Archived