'97 Clutch Switch Question

• Member Contributer

Was wondering if the clutch switch is adjustable with regards to how much the clutch lever has to be pulled-in to start the engine in gear?

On mine I have to pull the lever to where it almost touches the grip and I usually keep my little finger around the grip and end up smashing it a bit.

I looked at it but did not take it apart; also looked at the Service Manual and I do not see any adjustment, is there oh wise VFR'ers ?????

Thanks

• Member Contributer

If I were an engineer and concerned about being absolutely sure the clutch was disengaged for engine start, I would probably design the switch to close near maximum travel and not include any adjustability.

• Member Contributer

Cogswell...yeah I agree with that. I am sure the Safety Engineers at Honda had to protect us from ourselves and so made the clutch switch non-adjustable and lever near max travel.

I seldom if ever start the engine when in gear, but for some reason the other day killed the engine two separate times taking-off from a stop light....and that is how I found out that the clutch lever had to be close to near max travel in order to start the engine when in gear.

I have not adjusted the clutch lever as I like it just where it is at.

I just need to not repeat yesterday's engine killing. Had no trouble today...must have been a mis-alignment of the stars/planets yesterday....IDK.

Archived