5Th Gen (2000) Charging Problems

xwahoo

• Member Contributer

I have a 5th Gen VFR which has repeatedly died on me while riding. It basically runs down the battery until there is no more electricity to run the bike. If I remove the battery and charge it, it's good for another hour or so before repeating the dying on the side of the road. I live in a small town in North Carolina with no Honda or Japanese motorcycle mechanics and I'm only able to do the most basic maintenance; electrical systems to me are beyond my comprehension. I trailered the bike 45 miles to Wilmington where there is a Honda dealer. They did a load test (whatever that is) and told me there was nothing wrong with the bike. After riding about another hour and 15 minutes I was dead again on the side of the road. In researching the internet, I see that charging problems are common to my generation of VFRs. I also saw something called a VFRness that I thought might be worth a try, but I can't get any response from the Wire My Bike web site that sells them.

I need help. Any advice appreciated. Is there a simple to install fix for a klutz like me? Or should I trailer it to another Honda dealer (Myrtle Beach is about an hour away) and see if they can figure it out?

• Member Contributer

It's fairly easy to diagnose so maybe a local VFRD peep can ride over and help you go through the diagnostic. You don't need Honda or Japanese mechanics for this btw, if there's a Harley dealer local they can probably diagnose the issue. The Wilmington mechanic should be fired, also.

It sounds like the battery isn't being charged, so you've either got a wiring issue, a bad regulator or a bad stator(the generator). Any competent local mechanic can help you figure out the bad component(s). I wouldn't pour money in to parts until you know.

There must be someone out in this neck of the woods that can help?

• Member Contributer

Wiremybike is run by member Tightwad here - you can PM him, but the VFRness alone is not likely to solve your problem. If you read through some of the pinned posts in the electrical maintenance section, it could help you understand your bike better. Maybe look at it as a learning experience, so at least when talking to the mechanic you'll understand better what he's telling you.

Wiremybike is run by member Tightwad here - you can PM him, but the VFRness alone is not likely to solve your problem. If you read through some of the pinned posts in the electrical maintenance section, it could help you understand your bike better. Maybe look at it as a learning experience, so at least when talking to the mechanic you'll understand better what he's telling you.

Cogswell is right...the VFRness isn't magic...it simply improves the wiring without requiring soldering skills etc...simple install and can help if the wiring is to blame. Most likely you have a bad R/R or Stator as those are the two major components in the system. On my site there are videos showing how to test them, you just need a simple multi-meter (Radio Shack, Lowes, Harbor Freight) and a bit of time...it's easy.

Sorry if you tried to contact me via my site...apparently it has some issues, the code is 7+ years old now and I need to get someone to upgrade it as some features may not be supported anymore.

5th gen is is going to be the R/R in my opinion. Get a cheapy multimeter from Harbor Freight and a MOSFET R/R and buy some good wire. Redo the connections from the battery to the R/R and to the stator.

There is a member here, mello dude, that has some very detailed instructions on what you need to do. It's known as "The Drill".

The Drill:

Go through all your connectors for burnt leads, dig deep. Crispy wires? Not good. Your gonna have to fix that!
Then---Go through this starting point quick list. You will need a multimeter too.
Steps:
- Recharge battery overnite - then to take it to Autozone, Batterys Plus or similar to load test. -- Good? Bad? – An iffy battery can fake you out and act like a bad R/R. Buy new if needed.
- With good battery fire it up, warm up for a minute or two.
These are R/R quick checks---
--- With voltmeter at battery get voltages -- idle volts? 5000 rpm volts? What’s the numbers? Should be in 13ish min idle and in 14s at revs. If in the 12s at idle, try at 1900 rpm. (It’s not unusual for the system to be in discharge or no charge at idle.)
- Check stator
- 1. Pull connector apart. Set meter to resistance. Check pin to pin stator side, 3 yellow wires, A to B, B to C, C to A. What’s the numbers? 3 separate readings --Should be less than 1.0 ohms. (Engine off)
- 2. Check continuity from each A,B,C pin stator side to ground, -- -should be infinity - nada nothing. no continuity. -- 3 separate checks. (Engine off, again connector is apart)
- 3. Crank it back up. Do another pin to pin thing, but set meter on AC volts. idle and 5000 rpms. What's da numbers? Should start 15 -20ish and climb 50ish and more. Again – 3 readings stator side connector and still apart.
- Repeat hot.

Archived