Cannonball 500 -September 20, 2015

• Member Contributer

Well that was a blast and got the Cannonball 500 finish patch riding my trusty 2010 Honda VFR 1200. The mission was to finish a 500 km (closer to 526 km) course in 7.5 hours. Seems pretty easy at first blush but they choose the course and in some of the spots its pretty tight, twisty, sandy, gravel strewn and no more than 10 km per hour. Was told at the finish only about 20% make it in the allotted time. Was planning to do the ride with my wife, who also has a 2012 Honda VFR 1200 but she was ill in the morning so came on my own. Met a great guy named Sean and we rode together the entire route before introducing ourselves just before the last stop at Edge Performance where we started seven hours and fifteen minutes before. We decided in the morning when we met to just go the two of us and avoid the large packs and we also decided to go counter clockwise on the course which also kept things moving along well. Sean was on a teal coloured Goldwing and a very good experienced rider. Only found out after we finished that he was a former motorcycle cop - very very smooth and controlled through the twisties on what is a huge bike next to mine and a real pleasure to ride with. The only way you can complete this course in the allotted time is pack some food along the way, urinate in the bushes and don't stop to chat very much. I have never been on a day long ride like this with anyone other than my wife so it was a new experience. My wife and I both started riding four years ago in our early fifties and have been across Canada (west as far as Tofino this year, did Yellowstone, Wyoming and Deadwood last summer) four times. We have done many long days in all sorts of conditions (snow, hail, fog, rain, wind) so this was a pretty fun day that was not super long. Thanks to Sean the former motorcycle cop for riding with the silent partner.

post-25788-0-69762500-1442846168.jpg

Wow EhViffer that is a feat and a coincidence - I was out Sunday on a few of those roads too! No wonder there was so much bike traffic (large groups) on 507/36/28!

- Let me guess, the sand was found on Southwood/Rd13 south of Torrence (the residents shovel it on the road to discourage bikes riding the road) as that's the only section of road that is remotely challenging for a bike of sporting intentions. Parts of Southwood I like so much that I go back up and ride them again - the northern bit just south of the 2nd RR crossing that goes through the Pine Barrens = fun, fun, fun.

Sunday was such an ideal day for a ride, glad to hear that another VFRD member was out enjoying those same roads.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Wow EhViffer that is a feat and a coincidence - I was out Sunday on a few of those roads too! No wonder there was so much bike traffic (large groups) on 507/36/28!

- Let me guess, the sand was found on Southwood/Rd13 south of Torrence (the residents shovel it on the road to discourage bikes riding the road) as that's the only section of road that is remotely challenging for a bike of sporting intentions. ....

Woah... Wait, they do this intentionally??? That is just soooo wrong! Someone doing crap like that is criminal. If I were to witness such an activity, there would be a wounded resident found on the roadside.

• Member Contributer

- Let me guess, the sand was found on Southwood/Rd13 south of Torrence (the residents shovel it on the road to discourage bikes riding the road) as that's the only section of road that is remotely challenging for a bike of sporting intentions. Parts of Southwood I like so much that I go back up and ride them again - the northern bit just south of the 2nd RR crossing that goes through the Pine Barrens = fun, fun, fun.

Sunday was such an ideal day for a ride, glad to hear that another VFRD member was out enjoying those same roads.

Cheers!

Ya it was Southwood where there was sand on the roads in the corners. With shadows from trees as well you just could not see it so we had to slow down quite a bit as there was no shoulder either. The road is not in great condition either with an array of potholes oh that blind corner with the raised railway tracks almost took me out. I had never been on that road so it was all new for me. Glad to hear you got out that day too.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

It's difficult to imagine a Canadian doing such a thing; unless it's winter. In my almost broad experience, in both places, Canadians can be compared to the Dutch. Kind and generous with no evil intentions. R3~

• Member Contributer

In my broad experience there are great people and pricks no matter where you go.

I can see some of the great people of Canada resorting to that if Ricky Racer was constantly bombing past their homes, children and pets on a daily basis. That is nicer than some of the other "residential road corrections" that I have seen and heard of.

Very cool day and way to meet new friends.

• Member Contributer

In fairness related to the sand, I also wonder if sand does wash onto the roads from a rainfall, which there was the night before. But in fairness those four nice older women did flip me the bird when I went by, but in fairness they could also have been signalling "You're number one".

• Member Contributer

EhViffer Eh,

Great reading about these long rides, glad you enjoyed it so much and had an awesome riding companion.

Empathy mode ON.....To understand the residents of Southwood Road - imagine having to suffer the continuous, mind-numbing, concussive flatulence of "straight pipes save lives" Harley Parades intermingled with screaming groups of squids redlining every shift ripping up and down the road in complete disregard of the speed limit and occasionally physics, as inevitably there is someone binning it spectacularly into a sharp left at the end of a straight. We responsible sport touring riders are virtually invisible compared to, and I quote my newest, favouritist descriptor, "the T-Shirt company" bikes along this route.

Having to live along this good weather circus route would take its toll with my patience (and hearing) towards these 'bikers'. Perhaps not to the point of shoveling sand in a corner but I might gain the habit of buying old police cars and parking them at the end of my drive instead.

Just stay to the northern half of this road through Barrens section, it's the funnest bit anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

David here the organizer of the Cannonball 500 - Just reaching out as I just read the wonderful comments about the ride. Glad you had a good time and hope to see you along with everyone else at the next ride.

Cannonball 500 now offers 3 rides. THe original 500 Miles, the fall 500 KM and now the soon to be released spring 1000 mile ride.

CHeck the website out please if you are interested. In Ontario we have a few rides for the 1000 mile'r and of course the 500 mile. There will be 6 provinces running and if I have my way the rest will fall into place by the end of the winter just prior to the spring ride launch. Here is hoping it happens.

The ride is FREE, nothing to buy, no entry fee and no hidden charges. The only thing you can in fact buy is the patch and that is only if you can prove you have completed it within the timeframe given.

Enjoy your thanksgiving - lots of end of season chores for all to be had I suspect.

Cheers, Purdyman

http://www.Cannonball500.ca
Cannonball%20500%20Decal.png

Archived