6Th Gen Not Cooling

VTEC2k8

I have an '08 with about 13,000 miles. I've only ridden it 700 miles this year, and it sat stationary for the last two months. I finally admitted to myself that it was time to sell to someone who would ride and appreciate it, so I took it out for a spin to make sure everything was working.

The temps climbed as expected on a Deep South summer day, but once I was out of traffic and in good clean air at about 80 mph, the temp never dropped. In fact, it kept climbing. When the fan came on, it stopped climbing, but instead of dropping back down to fan shutoff (210), it stayed at 219-220. Getting back on a local road and into traffic, the temps climbed into the 230s, which isn't terribly unusual, but once back riding freely, the temp would not fall below 220. Even parked in the shade, the fan couldn't bring the temperature back down to at least fan shut-off.

I've never experienced this.

My checklist is thus:

Not enough coolant? It's 1/2 inch below the max fill line

Air in system? Flush system tomorrow

Faulty radiator cap? Not sure how to determine...

Passages blocked? Bugger...

Is there anything else that could cause this? And if a flush doesn't solve it, what's my next best step?

• Member Contributer

I'd start by making sure there isn't air in the system, but if you're flushing the system that should take care of that. Next would be the radiator cap. Mine wasn't holding enough pressure and it caused similar problems to what you're seeing. Since your fan is working, next would be the thermostat...

• Member Contributer

Fluid coming out of your overflow hose into the overflow tank when bike getting hot.

Check that the hose to the overflow tank is not blocked, remove it from the radiator filler side and try and blow into the tank.

• Member Contributer

How would I determine whether or not the rad cap is holding pressure?

A quick and dirty test is to run the engine up to operating temp. When you squeeze the rad hoses they should not have much if any give to them. If they're still squishy as when cold the system is not holding pressure.

all the above info but adding to it

1. ensure that your thermostat is fully opening. leaving the bike sitting for long periods can cause the tstat to get stuck.

2. realize that the vfr cooling system is terrible. If you are at speed and the fan is on, it is actually fighting against the natural flow of the incoming air. Using a manual fan switch and turning off the fan (when the bike is already at 230F and you are at highway speed and it is very hot outside) is the only solution here. Also using a manual fan switch and kicking the fan on early when its hot and youre stuck in traffic helps a lot.

3. This doesn't do you much good as youre selling the bike, I am just trying to shed some light on the problem for you.

I ran out of light to work with after getting about halfway through. Everything takes longer than it seems like it should; although I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm fairly incompetent as a wrench turner. :wacko:

System flushed and burped: check.

While burping, once the temp hit 180, it immediately dropped down to 173 and slowly climbed back up from there. I assume that rules out the thermostat.

Once I put the rad cap back on, I left the bike running to see what would happen when the fan came on. 220...221...222...224....225. No fan. :comp13::pissed: At that point, I was working with a flashlight, so I turned it off and will come back to it in the morning.

I haven't touched anything that I know of that would affect the fan. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

You may not have gotten all the air out and the coolant possibly is not covering the thermo swtich at the top of the left side rad. Make sure you do the burp procedure on the side stand, making the rad cap the higest point in the system. After it cools off re-check the coolant level.

You may not have gotten all the air out and the coolant possibly is not covering the thermo swtich at the top of the left side rad. Make sure you do the burp procedure on the side stand, making the rad cap the higest point in the system. After it cools off re-check the coolant level.

That's exactly it. I didn't take it off the center stand. D'oh!

System burped on the side stand, coolant replenished as needed, and whadda ya know, it actually cools again. Funny how things work right when you follow the process correctly. Thanks for the assistance gentlemen!

• Member Contributer

System burped on the side stand, coolant replenished as needed, and whadda ya know, it actually cools again. Funny how things work right when you follow the process correctly. Thanks for the assistance gentlemen!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I usually shake the bike side to side on the center stand and it helps to burp it .

Archived