Shiming The Shock For Ride Height Adjustment

highsider989

• Member Contributer

I have shimmed the shock in my VTR1000 (6mm), and have a 6mm-longer-than-standard shock from DMr in the VFR.

I bought a shim through eBay, but it would be an absolute doddle to make one from a suitably-thick piece of aluminium (please note correct spelling).

ok great. I have an ohlins on the bike but it doesn't have ride height adjustability. I dont want to go nuts but even after fitting new q3's it could turn in a bit better.

• 6 months later...

ok spring is almost here. I want to get on this mod. Anyone have a picture? I looked at it tonight and I'm almost certain what needs to be done but I'd like to see what one of you have done.

• Member Contributer

s-l1600.jpgI I don't have any pictures of the install, but I bought a shim just like this off eBay. On the VFR you would put the bike on the centrestand, then loosen the nut on the top shock mount just behind the back of the fuel tank under the seat. That will allow the rear wheel to lower towards the floor and open up a gap between the clevis and the frame cross-member. When there is a big enough gap, slip the shim into the gap and then torque the nut back to factory spec (42N-m). Job done.

Highsider, is the Ohlins the identical height as stock? If they already lengthened the height over stock than additional height may begin reducing stability.

Of course I don't know if your bike or fork has other geometry changes.

Jamie told me that he adds 3mm as ideal to the VFR. I see a discrepancy with his e-mail and Terry's spec. Terry is it possible your VFR shock is 3mm taller or are you sure about the 6mm figure?

Highsider, did you feel a negative effect specifically after switching to the Q3? If yes, have you played with the tire pressure or checked with Dunlop on pressure recommendations for this model tire?

Used a washer from the hardware stash in the garage.

Stopped the header pipe dragging at Willow Springs.

Long time ago, details lost in mists of time. :sleep:

Archived