Hello...and Can You Help Me Find A Mechanic?

CaribbeanSon

Hi All,

New to everything motorcycle, haven't even finished my lessons to be honest, but when it's all done, I'm hoping to be the proud owner of 95 VFR750. A friend of mine has one in storage that's been there for a few years. He hadn't found to time to ride anymore because of work but also didn't want to give it up to just anyone. He offered to sell it to me when I told him I was finally going to take lessons and I needed a good first bike. He thinks I'll give it the respect it deserves. I was really concerned about finding a "beginner" bike that would fit my size, I'm a powerlifter so this bike needs to be able to deal with my size, I'm 6'1", 260 lbs. My friend, who is actually my powerlifting coach, says it will definitely be able to deal with my size. That's the situation as is, looking forward to legitimately joining the motorcycle world soon, really excited at the prospect of owning this motorcycle. If half the things I've read about the VFR is true, it's already completely amazing!

Anyway, looking for assistance as well if anyone can help. So the VFR has been in storage for a few years so there's probably a number of things that need changing, like hoses etc (and that in a nutshell is my total mechanical knowledge of motorcycles...so far). I'm looking for a mechanic that would be able to ensure its safe for riding and ready for road but they would also need to be able to pick the bike up from storage and transport it to their shop. We have no other way of moving the VFR right now. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so a mechanic near enough to this area would be ideal. Would also prefer if they have experience with VFRs or Honda motorcycles in general but I'm not sure it matters. Any recommendations for a mechanic would be much appreciated, any other advise you have to give as well would be also welcome. Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Can't help you w/ a mechanic suggestion, but given your size, you should consider some upgrades to the suspension (heavier springs)... the VFR's tend to be undersprung for average 'mericans, let alone for a solid guy such as yourself. Usually they don't need too much extra attention; if the bike was stored properly, just the usual stuff like fresh fluids and tires, check the fork seals, chain, and off you go... if it wasn't, add a good carb clean to that list... If you haven't studied up, the VFR's have somewhat weak electrical (regulator) issues, and the 4th gens, such as yours, occasionally will crack the starter clutch... take care w/ the plastics - they are getting hard to find, and can be expensive to replace. Welcome to the fray!

• Member Contributer

Welcome and I can only confirm what Burns has said--upgrade the suspension and do the usual as far as putting it back on the road. Check brake pads, all hoses, electrical connections, a drop of dielectric grease on them, if you find burnt connections report back and see what people suggest. No bike is perfect, the VFRs have weak electrical systems, but they can be fixed and upgraded. Replace tires, obviously.

Can't you and your friend just pick it up and take it to the shop by foot????!? :goofy: C'mon, it's only 500 lbs!! Between the two of you... :tongue:

We will be expecting pictures soon (yes, even dusty and underloved, mistreated, forgotten in a barn), or it does not exist...

Good luck man!

C

CarribbeanSon,

Here in the southeast Hertz rents dedicated motorcycle trailers, and trucks to pull them with in case that helps.

Also, if you plan on keeping it in a storage unit, could you move it there and do some of your own maintenance?

One person I spoke with mentioned volunteering to help others with their maintenance as a way to learn

to work on their own bike.

BTW, my last bike was a 1995 VFR and a few weeks after I bought it I rode from here in South Carolina to Nova Scotia and the next year we rode to Calgary, Alberta, so it is definitely a great bike......

Good luck,

LookingHard

I'd suggest asking local riders, maybe check around for shops and go talk to them.

Dealers tend to be expensive. You're in the big city, I bet there are some smaller shops that are good.

The trick is to find a good one, not a bad one. :happy:

Can't help you w/ a mechanic suggestion, but given your size, you should consider some upgrades to the suspension (heavier springs)... the VFR's tend to be undersprung for average 'mericans, let alone for a solid guy such as yourself. Usually they don't need too much extra attention; if the bike was stored properly, just the usual stuff like fresh fluids and tires, check the fork seals, chain, and off you go... if it wasn't, add a good carb clean to that list... If you haven't studied up, the VFR's have somewhat weak electrical (regulator) issues, and the 4th gens, such as yours, occasionally will crack the starter clutch... take care w/ the plastics - they are getting hard to find, and can be expensive to replace. Welcome to the fray!

Thanks burns, will start to research the suspensions because I definitely don't see myself getting much smaller in the near future. Will start making a list of all the things I need to check on, it's 20yrs old so I guess it's a good idea I learn to give it some personal TLC as soon as possible. I hear there's a couple descent motorcycle maintenance and basic repair courses in my area, will go check 'em out.

Welcome and I can only confirm what Burns has said--upgrade the suspension and do the usual as far as putting it back on the road. Check brake pads, all hoses, electrical connections, a drop of dielectric grease on them, if you find burnt connections report back and see what people suggest. No bike is perfect, the VFRs have weak electrical systems, but they can be fixed and upgraded. Replace tires, obviously.

Can't you and your friend just pick it up and take it to the shop by foot????!? :goofy: C'mon, it's only 500 lbs!! Between the two of you... :tongue:

We will be expecting pictures soon (yes, even dusty and underloved, mistreated, forgotten in a barn), or it does not exist...

Good luck man!

C

Lol. Maybe I can ask him to add it to my training plan. Thanks for the tips as well, will post as soon as I have some pics.

LookingHard, was actually thinking about the trailer option today, wasn't who would rent those but I check with Hertz. My girlfriend is from Montreal so in about a year when I'm more confident, we plan to try a few long runs across Canada.

VFR4Lee, thanks for the tip, things can be expensive for no other discernible reason other than it's in NY. I'm starting to notice motor cycle shops and clubs, apparently I was blind to them before! Will start asking around.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice all.

Let the adventure begin

• Member Contributer

Thanks burns, will start to research the suspensions because I definitely don't see myself getting much smaller in the near future. Will start making a list of all the things I need to check on, it's 20yrs old so I guess it's a good idea I learn to give it some personal TLC as soon as possible. I hear there's a couple descent motorcycle maintenance and basic repair courses in my area, will go check 'em out.

Good luck man!

C

Lol. Maybe I can ask him to add it to my training plan. Thanks for the tips as well, will post as soon as I have some pics.

LookingHard, was actually thinking about the trailer option today, wasn't who would rent those but I check with Hertz. My girlfriend is from Montreal so in about a year when I'm more confident, we plan to try a few long runs across Canada.

VFR4Lee, thanks for the tip, things can be expensive for no other discernible reason other than it's in NY. I'm starting to notice motor cycle shops and clubs, apparently I was blind to them before! Will start asking around.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice all.

Let the adventure begin

Aha!!! I knew you were a good man... a man of good taste at least --everyone know that VFRs are the best bikes AND that the most beautiful, sexiest women are from Montreal...

cheers man!

C

• Member Contributer

My girlfriend is from Montreal so in about a year when I'm more confident, we plan to try a few long runs across Canada.

If you are 260# and your girlfriend is 100# (being polite and guessing light), You are coming close to maxing out the Gross Weight allowed on a VFR. Packing for "long runs" across Canada might be a challenge. You might want to check the owner's manual for the exact numbers on that.

I hear there's a couple descent motorcycle maintenance and basic repair courses in my area, will go check 'em out.

A long time ago(5 years-ish), a member on another forum I frequented joined a basic repair course because it was cheaper than renting the tools he needed. He basically did all the maintenance with an experienced mechanic nearby for help for a fraction of the cost of buying the tools and/or going to a mechanic shop. He learned a ton and was confident the work was done right since he did it himself. He was in Chicago I think, but I am betting that there is something similar in your area.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend is from Montreal so in about a year when I'm more confident, we plan to try a few long runs across Canada.

If you are 260# and your girlfriend is 100# (being polite and guessing light), You are coming close to maxing out the Gross Weight allowed on a VFR. Packing for "long runs" across Canada might be a challenge. You might want to check the owner's manual for the exact numbers on that.

Yeah, I checked, I think together we would both be over but the plan is for her to have her own two-wheels by then ;)

I hear there's a couple descent motorcycle maintenance and basic repair courses in my area, will go check 'em out.

A long time ago(5 years-ish), a member on another forum I frequented joined a basic repair course because it was cheaper than renting the tools he needed. He basically did all the maintenance with an experienced mechanic nearby for help for a fraction of the cost of buying the tools and/or going to a mechanic shop. He learned a ton and was confident the work was done right since he did it himself. He was in Chicago I think, but I am betting that there is something similar in your area.

I'm actually trying to do just that. I found a location near my gym that actually rents space to store your bike, gear and tools with room to work on your bike as well. It's also an active mechanic shop so if I get in over my head, there's apparently always someone around that could help dig me out of any mess. Still waiting to hear back from the owner if there's any space available, he's on leave apparently. Had a look and the place seems really amazing, even though it might mean I won't be up and running anytime soon on the VFR I'm really excited to get started. I feel like if I do this somehow working on it will really make it my bike more than it would otherwise. The garage is called Vax Moto.

Will start posting pics as soon as I can sort out getting a berth and move the bike from storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up the '95 a couple days ago!

I'm renting a birth at Vax Moto and they owner will give the bike a once over for me and set me up with a shopping list of items to purchase to get her road worthy. So begins my motorcycle maintenance and repair training!

I've figured out how to change my profile pic but have not idea how to upload images as yet. Do I share them from flickr or a similar service? As soon as I figure that out, I'll post some pics.

Welcome to the adventure.

If you get stuck, or sick of NYC labor rates, I am a few hours north and more than capable of nursing your VFR back to health.

The 4th gens are great bikes. Don't worry too much about the fairings, these bikes can look good without them too. :wink:

20150621142958-43b9894b_zps5wwjxlqe.jpg

• Member Contributer

As you can see I am a Brooklyn VFR owner too. I have a 2006. Saw your posts today and was going to suggest Vax but see you found it yourself. I have heard good things about them and think it is a smart move, you will get a lot of info and help since during the off season all we can do is tinker on the bikes and I'm sure you'll have a crowd around yours. I myself was going to rent a space there a year ago to do some maintenance but found a storage place a little closer to me that was OK with my working on my bike there so I opted for that instead. If you need some advice on where to get tools and such let me know, always happy to help a new rider. Congrats and welcome to the team.

As you can see I am a Brooklyn VFR owner too. I have a 2006. Saw your posts today and was going to suggest Vax but see you found it yourself. I have heard good things about them and think it is a smart move, you will get a lot of info and help since during the off season all we can do is tinker on the bikes and I'm sure you'll have a crowd around yours. I myself was going to rent a space there a year ago to do some maintenance but found a storage place a little closer to me that was OK with my working on my bike there so I opted for that instead. If you need some advice on where to get tools and such let me know, always happy to help a new rider. Congrats and welcome to the team.

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. I'm sure I'll need to call on you for advice at some point.

Welcome to the adventure.

If you get stuck, or sick of NYC labor rates, I am a few hours north and more than capable of nursing your VFR back to health.

The 4th gens are great bikes. Don't worry too much about the fairings, these bikes can look good without them too. :wink:

20150621142958-43b9894b_zps5wwjxlqe.jpg

Great shot!

I see the forth gen in the back, is that a naked VFR in front?

Would be happy to come look you up at some point.

Archived