98 Ignition Problem

Mdanger

Yesterday after a honest day of work I came out to my 98 to find a object jabbed into the ignition. After close inspection I realize it was a wood screw. Now I assume it was someone with impeccable taste trying to steal my motorcycle. So I called Yale police and they did what they needed to. No prints were found; I probably rubbed them off messing with the lock. I guess it could be someone being malicious to me but i have no idea who would do that. I have no crazy ex's. After some time playing with the lock i go the screw out. The key goes in but the lock seems busted.

My question is how would you go about getting this fixed. i need to do stem bearings anyway.

post-24277-0-67563600-1438966563.jpg

post-24277-0-26896600-1438966580.jpg

post-24277-0-64672800-1438966598.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think they sell ignition cylinders with keys on ebay, but unless you get the kit with the gas door and helmet lock, you'll be carrying two keys.

It sounds like some kid just wanted to mess with someones stuff. It's hard to get leverage with a screw. Let's hope they are not a engineering student.

Sorry to hear about your bike. What a PITA.

Straight fix is a new ignition barrel, but that means different keys for ignition and fuel cap etc.

A half decent locksmith may be able to repair the barrel so you can use the old key.

• Member Contributer

There are certain elements of society that I would have absolutely no remorse over loosing. Dirtbags that mess with someone elses property are very close to the top of that list.

I remember a "story" from several years ago, where 4 young Marines went to go see a move together (it was a pretty good movie, but I don't recall the name after all those years). Anyway, after the movie the 4 guys were walking back to car they came in, a really nice 1970 Chevelle that was painstakingly restored by its owner. As they approached they discovered a dirtbag trying to break into the car. The owner instantly became the squad leader of a search and destroy team. As the 4 Marines surrounded the would be theif, his eyes grew to the size of saucers and the terror in those eyes was well founded. After initial inspection of the vehicle many scratches were found around the door handle, key slot, and paint, and it was determined that detainment of the suspect would be required until propor law enforcement authorities could arrive. Once said authorities arrived they were very suprised that a person with a broken leg, 2 broken arms, many broken fingers, missing teeth, black eyes, and multiple contusions would have ever tried to break into a car while in that kind of condition. But those were the facts that went into the report. Later, it turned out that the dirtbag had been pretty good a breaking into cars and many stolen items were recovered from his home.

I kept an eye out on eBay and was lucky enough to find a brand new old stock lockset cylinder and tank lock for a hundred bucks. Keep an eye out if you're not in a hurry or contact a locksmith if you are.

• Member Contributer

As long as you need to steering bearings anyway, my $.02 would be to make lemonade from lemons and get it all disassembled and install a new barrel. It's a bummer that there are people like that around, but they are unfortunately everywhere. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried to wire in a manual switch for the ignition as a remedy during the wait for a new one. So I look at the wiring diagram from the repair manual.

After trying to wire it the clock stopped working. And I'm no longer getting 12volts from the red wire on the connector. I checked all fuses and they all check out fine. The battery is good and I can't figure out what's going on.

I saw that but you need a special driver for the screw's. I will try and dremil a slot for a flat head. Not sure what it means now that the clock stopped working.

• Member Contributer

There are certain elements of society that I would have absolutely no remorse over loosing. Dirtbags that mess with someone elses property are very close to the top of that list.

I remember a "story" from several years ago, where 4 young Marines went to go see a move together (it was a pretty good movie, but I don't recall the name after all those years). Anyway, after the movie the 4 guys were walking back to car they came in, a really nice 1970 Chevelle that was painstakingly restored by its owner. As they approached they discovered a dirtbag trying to break into the car. The owner instantly became the squad leader of a search and destroy team. As the 4 Marines surrounded the would be theif, his eyes grew to the size of saucers and the terror in those eyes was well founded. After initial inspection of the vehicle many scratches were found around the door handle, key slot, and paint, and it was determined that detainment of the suspect would be required until propor law enforcement authorities could arrive. Once said authorities arrived they were very suprised that a person with a broken leg, 2 broken arms, many broken fingers, missing teeth, black eyes, and multiple contusions would have ever tried to break into a car while in that kind of condition. But those were the facts that went into the report. Later, it turned out that the dirtbag had been pretty good a breaking into cars and many stolen items were recovered from his home.

LOL...LOVE IT!!!

Got everything sorted out. rode to work today.

while i was at it i did fork seals and will do a oil and radiator fluid change. got to love ebay for good used parts.

mdange

Archived