Broken Finger...

RedRicer

Broke the fourth finger on my left hand on sunday. 4 weeks seems like an eternity to not ride.....

I thought about maybe taping my fingers together outside my gloves, i can still use my thumb and index finger but doubt that will be enough to work the clutch properly...

anyone have any suggestions on riding with such an injury? or should i just take the month to wrench on the bike, even though ill be missing one of the greatest months here in WA....

Many years ago I broke my right wrist at work on the night shift

I bandaged it up at work and then rode to the emergency room slowly as the bike was my only transport

They immediately thought I had fallen off the bike and could not believe I had ridden there

So when they put the cast on my arm I went out to the bike whilst the plaster was still wet and formed it to fit the throttle grip

When they let me go I rode home and continued riding for 6 weeks like this (no other transport)

Some days it nearly killed me pain wise but I came through the other side and still have full use of that arm

But you could do some more damage if not careful or disfigure your hand and there may be insurance issues

If you can I would let it recover for at least a couple of weeks and then ease back into the saddle with a few short trips to see how it feels

• Member Contributer

Many years ago I broke my right wrist at work on the night shift

I bandaged it up at work and then rode to the emergency room slowly as the bike was my only transport

They immediately thought I had fallen off the bike and could not believe I had ridden there

So when they put the cast on my arm I went out to the bike whilst the plaster was still wet and formed it to fit the throttle grip

When they let me go I rode home and continued riding for 6 weeks like this (no other transport)

Some days it nearly killed me pain wise but I came through the other side and still have full use of that arm

But you could do some more damage if not careful or disfigure your hand and there may be insurance issues

If you can I would let it recover for at least a couple of weeks and then ease back into the saddle with a few short trips to see how it feels

I'm still recovering from a broken foot and I've had a lot of bones broken when I hit a couple deer. When shown the x-rays and told how bones heal, I decided I would not risk further damage and wait until the bone had healed enough to at least close the gap. Re-injury can cause permanent damage and could mean you'd never ride again. It ain't worth it to me and I'm 66 yrs old. I'm guessing you are younger and have even more to loose than I. Think hard about your decision. Life with damaged hands is pretty hard and there is always the risk of arthritis later in life. That is my situation so I know what I'm talking about. More than a dozen broken bones in ten years of riding. Before a skiing break at 60 I'd had none.

Let it heal for as long as you decide and then simply use your first 2 fingers to operate the clutch. I always only use those 2 fingers. Once you get used to it you may always only use 2 in the future as well.

• Member Contributer

Let it heal for as long as you decide and then simply use your first 2 fingers to operate the clutch. I always only use those 2 fingers. Once you get used to it you may always only use 2 in the future as well.

That's not how I use the clutch, but I imagine I would after. I broke my right pinky (didn't seek treatment) and it hurts after a long day riding even though I only brake with the first two (really only middle) fingers. Probably never be right, but shouldn't keep you off the bike!

• Member Contributer

Let it heal , if you should ride and your involved in an accident 1. you could make the finger worst, 2. IF the cause of the wreck was because of the finger you never forgive yourself or if you injure someone else .

Let it heal plenty of time to ride.

I'd give it the same treatment as foreskin: cut it off and show the residual stub as much of a good time as possible

Hope u heal up soon Red

Archived