East Tennessee 5Th Gen Intro

lanesmatb

After meeting Cornercarver and other VFR members at Deals Gap this weekend, it's probably time I came out of the closet.

My name is Scott and have been riding bikes since I received my motorcycle license at the tender age of 14 (and yes, that should be illegal which I think it is now). I've previously owned a number of dirt bikes as well as some street steeds (CB 750, SR 500, CBR 600 F2). I left motorcycling in my 20's and picked up kart racing for about a dozen years. Raced local and national events, mostly dirt and a little asphalt. Setup and built my own equipment, won a couple of championships, had some success (mostly failures) on the national circuit. Once I got in my 30s and raising a family, the desire, time commitment, and money to run up front just wasn't there anymore.

Fast forward nearly 2 decades and the bike bug would never leave me alone. My wife told me to get one. In fact, she also agreed to try 2-up riding if I got one. Being the obedient husband, I had to comply...

When looking for a bike, the one thing that was important to me is that it had to have character. I thought back on the bikes I used to own, and came to the conclusion that the fastest/lightest/best handling bike I had (CBR 600 F2) was not as much fun as the CB 750 standard I owned. The old CB was just a pleasure to ride, listen to, and look at; The SR 500 was too, but stock it was really just too slow (I still wish I had that bike).

Needless to say, I came to the same conclusion that you all came to on what bike to get. What I ended up is a 1999 5th gen with the few mods it already had and what I installed learned from this forum:

Lowered by flipping the shock triangles (yes I'm short)

Superbike bar mod

Added switched power outlet and Ram mount for phone

Corbin seat

Top box

Two Brother CF shorty slip on high mount

Upgraded fork springs

PC3

Since I live in Maryville TN, (and about 20 minutes from US 129), I am blessed to have access to some prime riding areas. I remember going to Deals Gap in 1990 every weekend with locals and only see around a dozen bikes (total) on a given Saturday at the Gap. I was there at 10:30 AM this Saturday and bet there were 100 bikes. Times have changed.

I'll make an offer: If your planning a ride to E. Tennessee/Western NC, shoot me a PM if you need a riding buddy or some trip advice for this area. I've lived here nearly all my life so I may be able the help with questions to those who want to make the pilgrimage to the Dragon. I'd like to meet up with fellow VFRs if your in the area.

CanyonCarver, if you see this, who was the other guys with you this past weekend? I am notoriously bad with names, so I want to give a shout-out to those guys with you. It was nice talking with all of you.

Regards,

Scott

P.S. - I've been lurking on the site for about a year; I wanted to say I so much appreciate the info people are willing to share!

post-30878-0-28907600-1437410876.jpg

post-30878-0-72654700-1437410880.jpg

Another Maryville-ite. Welcome. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've got a red '98 and ride "the dargon" early mornings several times a week. You might see me hanging out with Dave (us129photos) at picnic corner. Stop by and say hi.

Nice meeting you Kevin! Thanks for putting a name with a face.

Scott

Checksix/KevCarver PM me sometime for an early morning ride. No better time especially during the weekend.

Scott

• Member Contributer

I'll make an offer: If your planning a ride to E. Tennessee/Western NC, shoot me a PM if you need a riding buddy or some trip advice for this area. I've lived here nearly all my life so I may be able the help with questions to those who want to make the pilgrimage to the Dragon. I'd like to meet up with fellow VFRs if your in the area.

I'll be in the area in September (Labor Day weekend) riding with gr8vfr.

• Member Contributer

Scott,

I am glad that you decided to post. Kevin and Tom (along with his son Bo on the 6th Gen) were there as well. We had a great time and my wife is glad that my therapist (Dr. ToD Cherohala) has returned my mind to its' proper focus!

I will definitely let you know the next time anyone from our group is able to get back up, I would enjoy riding with you next time.

Keith

• Member Contributer

We did see a big LT leaving the Exxon as we were parked in the shade by the air hose...Sunday morning around 1015 IIRC.

• Member Contributer

We did see a big LT leaving the Exxon as we were parked in the shade by the air hose...Sunday morning around 1015 IIRC.

I just missed you guys this weekend as I was running around the area doing some darkside testing on the ST. At the Gap I ran into Tom and Bo and introduced myself to Jack and Mike from Mass. Ended riding down 28 with Tom and son and then had some fun riding around WNC with Jack and Mike for the rest of the day. Got them the VFRD rate at Microtel in Franklin. I'm sure they are still having fun on their vacation.

Scott, I am sure we will cross paths soon as I live in Knoxville and ride the area a lot. I usually stay north this year, spending most of my time riding around Burnsville and Hot springs but occasionally we run through the Gap. This year is the the busiest I have seen at the gap with a lot of crash induced road closures. The car crowds really clog up the road and the poor condition of the pull-offs is making things more dicey than usual. I got in a nice ride early Sunday morning but coming through around 10PM Sunday night I stopped to make sure a freshly crashed Nissan 370Z driver was OK. All-too frequent occurrence this year.

Kimball

Archived