Custom Mirror Mounts Cbr/vfr To 6Th Gen

monkeyspanner

OK guys. This is my current status. I have designed and am about to have run off a set of prototype mounts that will allow the CBR/new VFR800 (8th Gen) mirrors to be mounted onto the 6th Gen bikes, plus i think they will also work on 5th Gen, angle and mounting holes are same. This is what i have done so far and i really like the idea of the indicators being up higher and the mirrors themselves are much nicer in shape.

I will be mounting them on mine and doing a video of the process and the mods that need to accompany them, a small 6mm hole into fairing to allow the wiring to pass through as well as the splicing into the current indicator wiring to allow them to work.

I would like to know if there would be interest in having a batch made once i have shown them off and tested them to ensure they work.

• Member Contributer

Seriously? Dammit! I just bought another set of GSXR mirrors. I am planning to mount them on my 5th and 6th gen.

Couldn't you make one of those mounts also? A couple other members are close to getting the mounts for those done also.

Seriously? Dammit! I just bought another set of GSXR mirrors. I am planning to mount them on my 5th and 6th gen.

Couldn't you make one of those mounts also? A couple other members are close to getting the mounts for those done also.

I don't like the GSXR mirrors and I will be testing out the theory they are the same mounting points on 5th and 6th Gen's. When i get the prototypes I'll pop over to my mate, he has a 5th Gen and see if they fit.

Just found out they are different, i will check to see how complicated changing/adapting the design will be for 5th Gen batch runs.

• Member Contributer

Do you know if the CBR/newVFR mirrors have running lights as well as the turn signals? GSXR are only two wire, turn signal only. I've deleted my 5th Gen body mounted turn signals and use the mirrors as running lights and turn signals (3 wires). I also like the idea of not having Suzuki (or copied) parts on my bike! :cool:

• Member Contributer

I don't like the GSXR mirrors and I will be testing out the theory they are the same mounting points on 5th and 6th Gen's. When i get the prototypes I'll pop over to my mate, he has a 5th Gen and see if they fit.

Just found out they are different, i will check to see how complicated changing/adapting the design will be for 5th Gen batch runs.

The other day when I took off the fairings of my 6 Gen (2009), I noticed that the mirrors seem longer than the ones on my 5 Gen (2001). When I took off the 5 Gen mirror to see if it was indeed shorter, i noticed that the mounting holes of my were a 50mm center to center, but the 6 Gen were 40mm center to center. I can go double check that but I'm pretty sure this was the case. Oh, and yes the 5 Gen mirrors on my bike are shorter than the ones on my 6 Gen. I didn't measure the difference, although I may go do that later just for info sake.

• Member Contributer

How about the angles?

Was that directed at me? If so. I'll probably peek into the garage later and do another measurement and double check things. What I do not know, but assume, that the mirrors on both bikes are OEM. Since I bought both of these bikes used. I can only say for sure, that I believe the 6 Gen are OEM. I say this because the bike had no signs of being dropped and only had 347 miles on it! The 5 Gen however, had more than one sign of being dropped and 16k miles on it, so it's possible that the mirrors might have been replaced at one point or another. The mounting holes of course would not have changed. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, towards you. I was just curious because of the Darth Bling re-pops also being made. Both these and the GSXR mounts are wondering if they can be modded over to 5th Gens, and I was wondering if mounting holes are the only difference. No idea if the angles are the same on the mirror stalks. Even aftermarket should emulate oem, no?

I probably won't be changing out my Gixxer/5 Gen hybrids, but I'm just chasing down leads in case it's actually doable.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, towards you. I was just curious because of the Darth Bling re-pops also being made. Both these and the GSXR mounts are wondering if they can be modded over to 5th Gens, and I was wondering if mounting holes are the only difference. No idea if the angles are the same on the mirror stalks. Even aftermarket should emulate oem, no?

I probably won't be changing out my Gixxer/5 Gen hybrids, but I'm just chasing down leads in case it's actually doable.

I would imagine that the angle and length of aftermarket mirrors would be the same but you never know. Once 5 o'clock rolls around, I'll step out to the garage and look into it.

• Member Contributer

I would imagine that the angle and length of aftermarket mirrors would be the same but you never know. Once 5 o'clock rolls around, I'll step out to the garage and look into it.

Curfew ?

• Member Contributer

Curfew ?

Yeah, I turn into a pumpkin if I step into the garage before I'm supposed to leave my desk, A curse the wife put on me to keep me focused on work! Ooh look, it's passed 5!

• Member Contributer

Curfew ?

Yeah, I turn into a pumpkin if I step into the garage before I'm supposed to leave my desk, A curse the wife put on me to keep me focused on work! Ooh look, it's passed 5!

Completely understandable .

• Member Contributer

OK, here are my findings. I tried to get as much info as I could with a quick pass but if you need any other measurement, of either mirror or mirror mount let me know.

5 Gen Mirror length
Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%201_zpsuwhkul

5 Gen Mount width
Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%202_zpsfnr3lo

5 Gen Pivot offset
Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%203_zps9ozhd0

5 Gen Mount holes center to Center
Five%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%204_zpsk34hvo

6 Gen Mirror length
Six%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%201_zpswzyehiy

6 Gen Mount width
Six%20Gen%20Mirror%20Info%203_zpsb7u7fm3