Hmm...dealer Doesn't Even Want My Bike On A Trade In.

I have recently been toying with the idea of making a change, possibly move up in size to an FJR. I was at the dealer, whom I have bought a few bikes from in the past, and was discussing my bikes value if I trade it in. He told me that they really didn't want the bike. If they did take it, maybe, just maybe, they would give me two grand for it. It's a 2007 RWB with 54k on the clock, and in excellent condition.

His reasoning is that the VFR is a niche bike to begin with, and at 54k in miles, nobody will want it. He knows it will last another 54k, but most people still think bikes only last 20 or 30k and it will sit on his lot forever. They have had the occasional new VFR, and they sit in the showroom for years.

I guess I just might be the one who puts the next 54k miles on it after all.

• Member Contributer

I've been thinking the same way, but you just gave me an excuse to keep the VFR even if and when I get an FJR for two up comfort! I just crossed the 50,000 mile mark myself.

You should try trading in a DCT. I was told by a sort-of-local dealer (who I've bought a new bike from) that he wouldn't take it if I gave it to him for free.

I laughed, and he said he was dead serious. 54k is a lot for a dealer to take though.

• Member Contributer

There has been a Candy Glory Red '07 like mine sitting on my local Honda showroom floor that has been there a year if not more. ABS, 30-ish k miles, Corbin seat, Akropovic pipes, matching hard bags, and a few other goodies (+ a USMC sticker) and that has had the same $6900 tag on it the whole time. I can't imagine they would take mine on top of that one if I were to try to trade it in. Think how many '07 - '09's were still on the floor brand new 3 and 4 years after they were made!

However, I've never been a believer in trading anything in, be it a bike, car, truck - whatever. You always take a bath in the end. Craigslist and Cycletrader will be my friend to the end when it comes to selling a bike.

• Member Contributer

Your chances of selling it on Craigslist will be much better if you take Western Union and are willing to ship to West Africa LOL!!

• Member Contributer

Last year a local dealer had a 2002 they had taken in on trade - it had 20,000+ miles. The dealer was asking $2,200 for it, so they probably gave the customer $1,000 or even less. I thought to myself that I should go pick it up for either a parts bike or a track bike - but someone beat me to it. It's the same with cars - dealers want inventory that will turn quickly.

Archived