Not Your Typical Mpg Loss

Hi everyone,

I got a 2006 VFR800 ABS two months ago 15,000 miles on it. I got it from a guy that's been assuring me that the bike has no problems whatsoever, I believed him since the bike looked really clean. He said he recently replaced spark plugs, coolant, oil (around 2000 miles ago).

After having the bike for couple of days and putting around 300 miles on it something seemed odd. The power was down and I was getting around 26 mpg. After some troubleshooting I found out one of the spark plugs was unplugged! (he probably forgot to reconnect it)

I reconnected it and the power and mpg's went up to 30-32 mpg of 50/50 city/hwy driving. The bike is completely stock.

So far, I don't think it's the thermostat the bike warms up fine and runs at around 174F on the highway and gets hot in traffic ~200F. I checked the spark plugs they look fine. K&N filter looks clean. There's no smell of gasoline when the bike is running. The fuel pressure regulator is not leaking.

Could you guys please help me of what I should take a look at to try and fix that issue because fuelly indicated that the average mpg's for that bike is around 40.

Thanks!

post-32714-0-61620000-1432795255.jpg

Try an extended highway cruise at 60 MPH, and if you can burn a whole tank that way, check the mileage again.

Then, you should see over 40 MPG if all is well.

So when you say that the FPR is not leaking, you took the vacuum hose off the "hat" and ran the bike with it unplugged, and no fuel coming out the nipple on the "hat", yes?

And Welcome to VFRd!

From my research on fuelly, a mix of highway riding and city riding (not racing) would give you very close to 40 mpg.

Correct, I've disconnected a hose on top of the FPR and checked if any fuel comes out.

I was thinking about pulling the spark plugs again and posting a picture here to see if you guys think they are bad.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Good luck with your issue. (I only know a little about fifth gens.)

• Member Contributer

Clean your K&N, even if it looks OK. It will have restricted airflow if there is too much filter oil on it.

The city mileage/economy sounds right. The 40 mpg is an average over all kinds of riding over a lengthy period of time. My 2005 gets about 30 (sometimes less) when ridden in the city in traffic. So your fuel economy is not alarmingly low.

Clean your K&N, even if it looks OK. It will have restricted airflow if there is too much filter oil on it.

It's been installed around 1-2 thousand miles ago.

The city mileage/economy sounds right. The 40 mpg is an average over all kinds of riding over a lengthy period of time. My 2005 gets about 30 (sometimes less) when ridden in the city in traffic. So your fuel economy is not alarmingly low.

No matter how hard or gently I ride I get 30-32 mpgs.

• Member Contributer

My '07 fuel light comes on at about 175ish and I've only on rare occasions pressed it over 200 miles per tank with "normal" throttle control. However, I've seen the fuel light illuminate at 130 miles of "severe' throttle use in the mountains. That doesn't happen as often as my age and throttle use crossed paths on my life-graph!

• Member Contributer

You didn't mention what blend of fuel you were using. I have noticed a significant difference in both performance and mileage when running ethanol free low octane gas. If you have been running the 10-15% ethanol blends you might try (if available) to locate some ethanol free.

• Member Contributer

Question for you...are you riding around in 6th gear at 60+ mph or are you riding around in 4th gear? I have had my bike for a couple years and always wondered why I couldn't get above 37 mph and I attributed it to the PC III and the staintune exhaust. In reality it was because I wasn't taking the bike above 4th gear.

Once I made a conscious decision to get it into 6th gear where appropriate I haven't averaged below 40 mph.

BTW - Welcome and lovely bike!

• Member Contributer

I have a fifth gen so this may not apply to a VTEC engine, but I get great mileage at around 4,900 rpm. YMMV :)

Archived