Mesh Jacket

RazorWing

Hey everyone! I currently wear a Commander II which I do like, but it is already burning me up (and I'm in the mountains!). I'm looking at getting a jacket (possibly before TMAC if I can decide which to order). I also currently wear Scorpion Seattle WP pants or Draggin Jeans pants. The commander II has the 8" zipper that mates to the pants.

Another thing to note, I do not have rain gear right now as my Commander II is water resistant and has a liner as well, so I just haven't bothered. Also my environment, we can get down pours and thunderstorms with zero warning, even with clear sunny skies! The temperatures also vary a great deal. Just this past weekend I went on a ride with two members here, I left in the morning and it was 57*, get "off the mountain" and its in the 70s, by the end of the day we hit 81*, got a rain storm and got to mid 60s with rain. For this reason and versatility, I need multi-season mesh.

Here are my current choices:

1) Scorpion Hat Trick II: (I was sold on this until someone at Revzilla said that the Dianese are better for the same money, so asking for openions here too)

+Mates to my current pants

+two liners

+even has a loop buckle to mate to my jeans

+the upgraded (d30) back armor from my commander can be used directly over.

2) Dainese Hydra Flux D-Dry: I have heard good things about the D-Dry liner, about $20 more then the HatTrick II

3) Dainese Super Speed D-Dry: A bit pricier then the other two, but looks really cool, has a finished D-Dry liner.

My favorite in the mesh of all that I have seen is the Dainese Air Frazer, but it has ZERO liner nor can you buy one separate, but it is really cool.

I also considered this Perf Leather jacket as its right in that same price range, but a bit worried about rain with it.

So what is your opinion on these?

• Member Contributer

No specific opinion those models, but I find it hilarious that the review on the Flux D-Dry is from a self described Harley fanatic and he says "Made in Italy, say no more."

Joking aside, I don't think you can go wrong with Dianese. I personally need to up my gear and will have to take a look at both of those. I did find a really nice Dianese perf'ed leather with a removable cold weather liner that I never convinced myself to pull the trigger on. Someday...

No specific opinion those models, but I find it hilarious that the review on the Flux D-Dry is from a self described Harley fanatic and he says "Made in Italy, say no more."

Joking aside, I don't think you can go wrong with Dianese. I personally need to up my gear and will have to take a look at both of those. I did find a really nice Dianese perf'ed leather with a removable cold weather liner that I never convinced myself to pull the trigger on. Someday...

I've only got Scorpion right now, and do like it. Dianese is quite pricy, but the first two are what was suggested to me, but it gets pricy quick. The thing holding me back from buying full perf leather right now is price (hence the Cortech jacket) and lack of rain gear at all.

I guess I could use my Commander liner(s) with the Air Frazer, but its still really expensive for what it is.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77589-best-mesh-jacket/

I'll tell you right now a perforated leather jacket does diddly squat in rain unless you have a liner for it

I figured you would get pretty drenched this weekend! How did Bryan fare with his mesh? I didn't get a good look at his jacket before the ride. My jacket currently normally does great even without the liner, but I can't close two of the vents on the bike at all and the front two on the chest I couldn't get fully closed (and waited a little too long as I was already burning up) on the road. I didn't get too terribly bad, actually felt nice from being hot most of the day.

Isn't is really bad for leather jackets to get wet though?

• Member Contributer

Watched the videos, and I like the look of the Super Speed (especially the external shoulder plates), but for the money I'd be getting the Hydra Flux. Plus it looks like it's a lot mesh-ier.

I have 2 of the original Hat Trick jackets and really like them. They only have the belt loop connector in the back, though...no zipper pant connection at all. I checked out the Hat Trick 2 online and don't see any mention of a zipper pant connection, so it probably doesn't have one either. Just something to think about.

I've never really run anything but leather for the last decade on the Viffer, BUT there's not a lot of air behind the ST's body & screen so I just ordered a Tour Master Intake Air Series 3 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket & matching pants.

Will report on them after Tmac. :beer:

This one also looks pretty cool with lots of venting: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-laguna-textile-jacket

Should I just take the leap and buy a leather? I was unaware they were fine getting wet. I've never had a real motorcycle leather. I used to wear a bombers jacket on my old ninja.

@DrivwrDave, thanks! You are right! It doesn't appear to have the 8" zip! I'll have to investigate further!

@TNRabbit, I have their catalog on my night stand. Actually a few things I really like but holy crap are they pricy! I'm also not a fan of one piece suits and their two price are really pricy!

@Baileyrock, thanks! So why did you choose leathers over textiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one also looks pretty cool with lots of venting: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-laguna-textile-jacket

Should I just take the leap and buy a leather? I was unaware they were fine getting wet. I've never had a real motorcycle leather. I used to wear a bombers jacket on my old ninja.

@Baileyrock, thanks! So why did you choose leathers over textiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out buying the cheapest gear i could find and as my skills improved i raised the protection level of the gear and it's armor ending up with two sets of leather. One Perforated and one solid.

Leather is like 200 times better then our skin sliding down the street, but they have come a very long way with textiles abrasion rates.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got 2 ventilated jackets, an RST Blade for medium temperatures and an Alpinestars Jaws perforated jacket for hot days, both have CE level 2 armour

The RST is fine most of the time, in cooler weather I wear a Knox Cold Killer wind stopper underneath

The Jaws is the coolest jacket I've ever worn, with the air flow back protector in as long as you're moving its like wearing a T shirt, except its armoured and is leather

I road tested the RST jacket shortly after buying it, a 50mph off on gravel resulted in a broken pelvis and a few very small scuffs on the jacket, which have now disappeared (I always wear armoured leather jeans, minor scuff on hip)

If that had been a mesh jacket the road surface would have scredded it before I came to a halt, which is why I rarely wear my Draggin jeans now

MotoGP are moving over to a "ballistic" textile similar to that used in chainsaw clothing but then we're talking $$$$$

They are of no use whatsoever in the wet, but then I have a 2 piece rain suit vacuum packed under the seat, so no worries as far as I'm concerned

Archived