What Else To Do To My Y2K Front End?

Finleyville

Anyway...

I either plan on sending my front forks to Daugherty Motorsports or ordering their fork cartridge kit and doing it myself. (Little nervous about that one) I have a couple of questions.

After removing the front forks how do people keep the bike upright on the center stand without it falling forward? ( I know. Silly question.)

When replacing/rebuilding the forks what else is a common preventive maintenance/upgrade?

I have done maintenance on the bike before including swapping out the stock rear shock for an Ohlins, installing a star shift kit, and a new front sprocket among other things. I am just unsure about messing around inside suspension components. Plus I do not know what other items should be fixed/upgraded while the front end is apart.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

• Member Contributer

Typically a set of cinder blocks under the engine or how I like to do it, with a ratchet tie down strap that I loop under the frame right behind the steering column, connected to two eye hooks I have screwed into the ceiling rafters in my garage. As far as DIY for the front forks, not a problem if you've done the other stuff you mentioned, besides, the JD kit is supposed to be "drop in".

The other maintenance or replacement item would be the steering stem bearings.

• Member Contributer

You might as well replace the fork sliders and seals.

You'll be suprised at how much play you have on the sliders if you have more then 40,000k's.

• Member Contributer

I used the mechanical scissor jack from my car and a piece of 2x6 under the headers while the forks were off to Jamie. Easy to slide under and raise the front to the desired height. A ratchet strap attached to the garage door track provided extra security.

So I should also replace the fork sliders and seal along with steering stem bearings. Got it.

Does anyone know who can service my Ohlins rear shock including changing out the spring for a proper setup?

• Member Contributer

Jamie can do that also.

So I should also replace the fork sliders and seal along with steering stem bearings. Got it.

Does anyone know who can service my Ohlins rear shock including changing out the spring for a proper setup?

Archived