Fairing Assembly Video

Joshcarr73

Hello, bought a wrecked 1998 VFR 800 ( not too much damage) and have fixed it back up. I have a all the fairings and bolts but not sure how it all goes together. The fairing under the seat was easy, the two black inner fairings, side and nose fairings, bolts, nuts are a different story. I also consulted the service manual and have a general picture in my head. What would really help is if someone that has a 1998-2001 would video tape taking the fairings off and the nose fairing and headlight. I tried youtube but no luck. Help please.

Josh

• Member Contributer

Best place to go is a parts fiche like the one at Partzilla

Upper cowl assembly

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/VFR800FI+A/UPPER+COWL/parts.html

Lower cowl assembly

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/VFR800FI+A/LOWER+COWL/parts.html

Hope this is helpful

• Member Contributer

post-22267-0-07021300-1429174917.jpgWhen I strip the fairing on my 1998 bike I go in the following order:

Undo bolts under the front head where the black lower cowl joins the side fairings, and remove the push pins at the side fairing joint under the bike

Undo the bolts and remove the side fairings; not forgetting the two push pins inside the front wheel opening.

Remove the upper inner black covers at the top of the nose fairing. Pull back the rubber boots and unbolt the mirrors.

Undo the screws on the inside of the fairing that hold the indicators; these can then be pulled out at their front and slid out of the hole in the fairing, and disconnect the wires

Remove the push pins that hold the black lower cowl to the top fairing, and take the lower cowl off the bike.

Undo the two small screws that connect the top of the fairing to the subframe; remove the fairing blade, it should lift straight up

Stand in front of the bike and pull the fairing off the bike, disconnect the headlight wires, set the fairing down somewhere soft

After that you are left with the black covers that surround the forks and connect to the instruments; I've never pulled these off.

The headlight remains bolted to the back of the top fairing.

As the manual usually says, assemble in the reverse order to disassembly!!

If you want any pictures let me know.

The difficult bit (for me at least) are the two bolts that hold the top of the side fairings; the inner one passes through the black cowl then the fairing into a well nut on the frame, and these can be hard to get lined up.

• Member Contributer

It's too bad you did not ask two days ago. I had my '01 naked for VFRness and LED headlights. Back together now and I'm disinclined to do it again so soon. Following the FSM works if you take it slow. Upper (front cowl) first then both lower (side) cowls in either order. After a few times doing it it can be done in 30 minutes each way.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. Seeing pics helps.

Good deal, once you get it all back together head on over to the section for introductions and do a proper intro, tells a little about yourself and of course, pics of your ride.

Oh yeah, Welcome Abaord!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Don't be a dummy like me and forget the black inner fairings after putting on the front fairing. That sucked trying to squeeze those in. Also make sure you get the windscreen mounted before the mirrors and trim panels. I think I took my mirrors on and off 4 times trying to get the bike back together after steering head bearings.

• Member Contributer

Hello, bought a wrecked 1998 VFR 800 ( not too much damage) and have fixed it back up. I have a all the fairings and bolts but not sure how it all goes together. The fairing under the seat was easy, the two black inner fairings, side and nose fairings, bolts, nuts are a different story. I also consulted the service manual and have a general picture in my head. What would really help is if someone that has a 1998-2001 would video tape taking the fairings off and the nose fairing and headlight. I tried youtube but no luck. Help please.

Josh

I did a How To on the removal of the upper cowl a couple of years back but it appears to have disappeared from VFRD somehow as the thread is no longer on here anywhere. There is a copy of it over on VFRWorld you can look at if you like. Here is a link.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/43794-HOW-TO-Upper-Cowl-Removal-on-5th-Gen?highlight=

I did this to show that the upper nose cowl could be removed without removing the lower side cowls, but removing the side cowls is fairly easy. There are two large diameter cowl bolts on each lower cowl, two depressed centre clips that hold the two lower cowls together at the very bottom in the middle, and four Allen head bolts that screw through the black plastic fairing that sits behind the front wheel. Take a look at the VFRW thread and see if it helps at all. You will need to be signed up as a member (as far as I know) in order to be able to see the photos.

• Member Contributer

I think it is great that you're bringing a younger generation into the VFR family and riding with your kids is a Great Thing.

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Don't be a dummy like me and forget the black inner fairings after putting on the front fairing. That sucked trying to squeeze those in. Also make sure you get the windscreen mounted before the mirrors and trim panels. I think I took my mirrors on and off 4 times trying to get the bike back together after steering head bearings.

Done exactly the same thing last weekend !

Archived