Thoughts On Buying Used...

2002VTEC

Hey all, used to own a 2002 viffer a few years back. I sold it whilst exploring my lust for different motorcycles. Went to a 1050 speed triple, to an XR 650 sumo, which was just sold a few days ago.

Looking into another V4 and i found a decent looking 5th Gen at a dealer not to far from me. Wondering what you guys think about the price, mileage, etc.

As they are about 120 miles away from me I emailed them yesterday inquiring more info about the condition and possible service records?

I can see in the pictures it has aftermarket windscreen, pipe and luggage rack(Givi maybe). Almost 50k miles and looks good in the pictures. Maybe someone here even traded in recently and could chime in!

Anyway, thanks for any advice. I never posted much before when I had the VTEC but I learned a lot foe this site and loved it.

Here's a link of the bike:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1999-Honda-VFR800-114283283

Yeah it does look very clean. I called them on my lunch break today and they said the same thing. I'd like to maybe make them a cash offer, say $2300 out the door, but we'll see. KBB was about 2600 or so if I remember right.

That would be awesome if you could pull it off, but I'm guessing the dealer doesn't have a lot of markup in it. With it being as clean as it is, they probably would have asked for more if they thought the market would bear it.

Hopefully, it will work out for you!

Looks like it has some goodies on it. High mount Micron pipe is nice. Can't tell for sure, but it looks like it might have Heli-bars and Throttlemeister on it too. Nice Givi trunk and rack too. PR4 on the rear? Can't tell what the front tire is from the tread pattern, but doesn't look to match the rear tire.....I could be wrong on that though, I don't run Michelin's.

Could be the picture, but the left fairing looks slightly off color compared to the upper. If all of those extras are really on it, I would expect $2500-2700 as the price.

• Member Contributer

Looks good and the price is reasonable. Consumer Motorcycle news prices an '01 value at $2750.

One thing I did notice was the three spacers in the rear cowl are missing:

114283283_4thumb.jpg

In this pic there is are two slots in the top/side that should have triangular spacer; this is where the seat cowl side tabs would go if the cowl was being used. And there is a slot in the rear of the rear cowl that should have a rubber "VFR" embossed piece that fills that space. I believe both can be purchased seperately.

I'd offer a few hundred less and ask the dealer to provide those parts.

Good luck and ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Let me know if you want to sell that high mount pipe? : )

Has a givi screen, I love mine!

• Member Contributer

You can't go wrong with a 5th gen. I would always prefer a well cared-for unit with a few more miles than a low mile one that's been neglected. That one should have many thousands more in it. It may need a few things - maybe have the suspension freshened up or whatever, but that's not a big deal. If it's as clean as it looks it seems like a few hundred either side of what they're asking would be a fair price.

• Member Contributer

Not to turn this into a valve adjustment thread, but since they're a Honda dealer, asking them to do it if they don't have the reocrds for it could be a potential bargaining chip as well. Good luck!

• Member Contributer

On the 5th gens, the original reg/rec was finned, too, but it still failed! The upgraded finned reg/rec is curved on the top, rather than flat.

I'm not sure about the '99, but the Y2k original reg/rec:

post-362-0-53631300-1426719705.jpg

Y2k upgraded reg/rec:

post-362-0-77291500-1426719724.jpg

(Both are OEM Honda parts.)

Ciao,

Looks tidy in the pics but the only way to tell really is going paying it a visit.

I went round endless vfr's when i was looking. All described as tidy/immaculate or words to those effects and it took me a few months to find one id be happy with.

Immaculate in their mind, isnt necessarily the same in yours

Im a reet fussy bugger though haha

Bought the bike yesterday and rode it home 120 miles! That's my Volvo C30 there as well if anybody here is into the SwedeSpeed. New chain, new tires, seat cover and OEM windscreen were in the Givi box. No grab handles though.. Feels really nice to be back on a VFR. I'll need to come up with a new username though. :P

post-23270-0-27366000-1427067605.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bought the bike yesterday and rode it home 120 miles! That's my Volvo C30 there as well if anybody here is into the SwedeSpeed. New chain, new tires, seat cover and OEM windscreen were in the Givi box. No grab handles though.. Feels really nice to be back on a VFR. I'll need to come up with a new username though. :P

Nice looking machine. Not that I'm at all partial, Noooooooo. Just cause it looks so much likes mine, and a few others. LOL

Grab handles come up on eBay or even the classified section here every once in awhile but with the GIVI rack on there, they won't fit anyhow, so unless you plan on removing it, likely won't bother you much. I have a GIVI rack and an E55 case on mine and love the versatility of the trunk and doubt I'll ever put the grab handles back on the bike.

As for a new username, how about C30VFR. LOL. I've had a chance to drive a number of Volvo's over the years for work and I just love em. The turbo models can be deceivingly fast and they are soooo comfortable to drive.

Enjoy the bike. We KNOW you will. :)

Archived