My Vtec Project - 2002Vfr

LLifesaver

I own a 2002 Honda motorcycle, a VTEC VFR-abs model. I bought this bike new back in early 2002. My first motorcycle was this one! I never even rode a motorcycle before the day I picked this VFR up from the dealer... Absolutely everything about what comes with owning your own VFR has been an AMAZING experience for me! My VFR now has 36 thousand miles on the odometer.

I have neglected this bike for a long time. I have only put around 200 total miles on my VFR over the last seven years. Although she still runs and rides almost like new, perfect actually! Well, almost perfect... Needs a little maintinence work first...

I decided that I wanted to document this project here, at VFRD!

I am in the process of painting all of the plastic panels for the body. However, I am really tired right now, and think I am going to go take a nap with my girlfriend before I get anything else done...

Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate my VFR in its current condition. That side cowel was painted black probably three years ago. Its not a finished piece yet.

post-32322-0-52717800-1426612917.jpg

post-32322-0-30731800-1426612952.jpg

post-32322-0-37664100-1426612990.jpg

• Member Contributer

I hope for your girlfriend's sake you take better care of her.......

:-)

• Member Contributer

Yes. I saw this earlier and thought, "You're not w-o-r-t-h-y!". Luckily you've seen the error of your ways and are now repenting.

:)

• Member Contributer

I guess you could look at it as a blank canvas to customize any way you want. So many possibilities . . . There have been other earlier models that started out in in a similar state (though this is the 1st 6th gen I can recall) that turned out beautifully. Looking forward to see how it goes.

I got some work done. I sprayed all of the plastic body panels. Everything now has two coats of black paint applied. I am using krylon gloss black at the moment. I'm really not sure about it though.. Initially, I thought that gloss would look really good, but now I am having second thoughts? Been thinking about changing it up to satin, or maybe even flat black instead of the gloss? This gloss seems as though it will show all of the imperfections up too much, and I am by no means perfect at this painting thing... I also think that the North Carolina sun will make quick work of a gloss black paint job (especially since it is being done with spray paint from a can).

As I stand outside in front of my bike, I just see soo much that still needs to be done. It is a little bit frustrating, because I just want to put it all back together again & get back to riding! That and the fact that my schedule is soo full of ordinary life living type of stuff, allowing me just a limited amount of time to actually work on my bike... I have to remind myself to keep moving forward, a little bit at a time, and before I know it.. the VFR will be back on the road, right?

Like I said earlier though, there has been two coats of gloss black applied to all of the plastic body panels. I have begun sanding again, with some 1200 grit. Everything will get a good smoothing over, and then some more painting. Once I am finished up with this phase of the sanding, I plan to spray three coats of satin black and reevaluate. I am hoping to get these next three coats on today before noon? Then, I will have to start getting ready to head back out of town again for a couple of days. Will be another week or so from then, before anything else will get accomplished.

Here is an updated pic of how she sits:

post-32322-0-22255800-1426758222.jpg

[i hope you can live up to your screen name. :goofy:]

Many times over... Always have to remember though, no matter how hard you try, you cannot save them all. It is however, almost always worth the effort! With that said, it is also.. not always worth the effort. :huh:

• Member Contributer

Yes, looking good. A little 1200 followed up by some clear. Another round of 1200 then some rubbing compound and you're done. Easy-peazy! Then it's riding time :).

It is amazing how this forum has the ability to put things into perspective from a good angle. I have been catching up on things & looking around at other peoples bike projects and stuff from on this site. Definitely is a motivational tool, and provides an extra incentive for me! This upcoming week, I do not have to work any of the following days: Mon, Tue, Wed, or Thursday. I am trying to plan out what I want to accomplish during the upcoming four days I have off in a row. I didn't realize I had a stretch off like that?

I think I want to order some stuff today? Maybe I will be able to have it all shipped in time for on one of my days off this week? So that when I put things back together again, I will have it ready to go. Things that I want to order for the bike are a hugger (probably black & not carbon), sargeant seat (have to check them out still & see what style I like the most), gel pro-grips, and a full tank bra (black of course - leather looking & covers the gas tank completely/I'll paint around the gas cap and edges if I need to... Not only will it save on me having to paint the tank, but I have always liked the look - thinking it will look great on black VFR). Oh, I also should order a replacement mirror. I forgot that one of my old ones took a hit from a baseball sized hail ball being thrown down from the sky above on a day of very strange weather one summer back. I replaced it quickly & conveniently back then with a non-matching other brand that fit.

I also need to order some gear. I need new riding pants and some new gloves. I have a teknic leather riding jacket, some nice sidi boots, and a new helmet allready. I am unsure on which will be the best riding pants to get for me? I do know that I prefer leather (if I can find somewhat of a relaxed fit style, but still motorcycle specific with good protection?). For gloves, I will DEFINITELY be picking up another pair of alpinestar sp-1 gloves! Those are what I used before, and I LOVED them! Worth every penny for the comfort & protection they provide...

Get all that stuff in, finish painting, and then I should be good to go... :cool:

Llifesaver - I can't be sure - but i think I might have purchased a K&N Air filter from you years ago...... if it was you - and if that filter came from that bike - be sure to get a filter for it!! LOL.

Welcome back to VFRD - get the bike back together and ride it. It isn't a garage princess - so why try to pressure yourself to make it that way. ? ANd - you're in NOrth Carolina - and youve ridden it 200 miles in 7 years? THAT REALLY HURTS !!! I get to NC once a year - I'd kill to have your roads!!

• Member Contributer

It's worth the effort if you enjoy the process. There will be great satisfaction in having done it yourself when finished.

I picked up something special for my bike today... Met a fellow VFR Rider too.

Thank you Ryan!! It was nice to meet you, and I appreciate the good deal you gave me on this seat. I hope you and your son enjoy the new Corbin with its backrest when you get it? I tried out the Sargent as soon as I got back Home. I can allready tell.. I will absolutely LOVE this thing! (Thank you again...) :wheel:

post-32322-0-70920100-1427347340.jpg

Here is the new seat on my bike.

I didn't get a whole lot of other things done to my VFR yet, but getting this seat was a huge deal to me! I am thinking that three weeks from now, I should just about have things finished up, and be back on the road again riding my VFR? Thats my goal.

post-32322-0-48524200-1427348171.jpg

• Member Contributer

Now your GF will want a new dress too................. :goofy:

Got the new dress in for my girlfriend today Dutchy :goofy:

Sorry, no pics though... :beer:

By new dress, I actually mean an "Arai" helmet just for her. Currently looking around to get her into full dress... She surely looks better in leather than me!

I am going to try painting the gas tank myself. So, I want to get the Honda wings/decals for my tank. I don't know that I want to put the silver wings on it though, and was wondering what other people thought about how the red Hond wing decals would look on the black tank? Also, curious on where would be the best place to order the tank decals? I haven't looked real hard, but so far I can't find a place from which I can buy just the tank decals. I do not want to put the VFR decals on the side fairings like some places are including, or the interceptor on the rear of the bike. I only just want the tank decals, because I think that the old ones I'm gonna have to sand down will still kind of show through after I apply the paint? Plus, I think that it will look good with the red Honda wings against the black tank..

Any opinions, or other options to consider?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to post an update.

There was a slight set-back so to speak. I switched from the Krylon to a semi-gloss black made by Rustoleum. I noticed, and it is of my opinion that the Rustoleum is a much better quality spray paint product vs the Krylon. The first few coats have been applied, and everything is currently out back in the shed drying. I started this morning, and have sprayed three light coats on all of the body. I think it is looking real good! I am liking the semi-gloss much better than the straight gloss Krylon I was using beforehand..

I had to start over this past week. The Krylon I was using ended up having something go hugely wrong. I do not understand why, but it had some strange type of reaction when I went to put on the final coats last week. It went on smooth, but as it was left to dry, the paint began to form this awful bubble-like texture? Looked horrible!

I had to break out the coarse grit sanding paper in order to turn the finish back to smooth again, and it was darn near impossible.. I had to sand a lot! Basically, I had to sand off nearly all of the Krylon that had been applied... I don't know? It was really strange.

Either way, I am back on track again, and begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I need to let this dry/cure for another 48 hours, and then apply the final coats of black, followed by a clear top-coat. Looking to put the final coat of clear on come Saturday this weekend. I should be putting it all back together two or three days later, after things are dry.

Hopefully, I will be able to post updated pictures soon afterwords.. I am looking forward to finishing this up allready, and wish that I had been doing that today. :mad:

On a side note, I am thinking about picking up another Honda. Looking at the CRF 250L dual-sports. Going to take my time deciding between a couple of others as well, including some used bikes if a good deal can be had... I want to go offoad again. Had a DRZ 400 awhile back, although that thing was definitely not the right bike for me. Just too tall! I don't want anything mx race-like, just a nice smooth dependable trail bike. The CRF 250L seems to be exactly that. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good! Glad you like it! Corbin has been a HUGE pain in the ass! I should finally receive my new seat and backrest this week. It has been over 5 weeks, when it was supposed to be 3-4 weeks. On the up-side, they included a CF back plate for the backrest for free, so that will go nicely with the rest of my bike. My son has done well riding without the backrest, but it will definitely be a comfort to have the added security soon.

Archived